C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans help with front mount turbo C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:15 AM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Trans help with front mount turbo C5

I'm throwing the help flag on this one because I've got zero experience with building transmissions. Here's the long and the short of it. Originally I started out with a rear mount turbo very with a 4L60E that my buddy built. He's a very experienced performance transmission builder. Trans worked great with the rear mount and made 565 RWHP. I decided to go with an aftermarket built 390 CI motor and larger front mount turbo. PTC custom torque converter. While EVERYTHING was apart, my buddy told me to bring the trans over for a freshen and update. After doing his thing I finished the build and had it tuned. It made pretty much the same power with less boost, less timing, and no meth. The night I had it tuned it rained so a test drive wasn't possible . When I finally drove it a few days later, it would bang the limiter every time on the 1-2 shift at WOT. At about 80% throttle it would shift fine. Tuner figured it needed an adjustment but I didn't make it back for a tune adjustment because I knew I was going to make some changes and be back soon for an E85 tune.

I redid the down pipe, upped my fuel system game, got an electric boost controller then filled her with E85 for an E85 tune.

A week before my scheduled tuning session I completely destroyed the clutches in the trans. while adjusting the boost controller. My buddy said I even wrecked the forward 3-4 clutch pack. He was able to get it back to me in a couple days but couldn't identify why it burnt up. The trans had less than 1000 street miles and 6-7 dyno pulls. Plus a few hard over-boosts during boost controller testing.

After the dyno it made a little more power but with even less boost (10lbs). Made 585 RWHP. The trans performed great on the dyno and only reached about 185*. After the tune I test drove it and it still won't hit the 1-2 shift at WOT. During normal driving it performs fantastically . The tuner put in 3 trans tunes from cars he knows work great then he built another tune specifically for my car. Still nothing. Logged every test drive. Even commanding the trans to shift super early it still won't shift. In disbelief, he took it for a ride and nothing. He was able to manually shift the 1-2 and he said it performed very nicely but from 2-3 he said it felt like it laid over. It was 1am and I heard the pass, it sounded great but a trans that doesn't shift doesn't cut it.

Any ideas that I could pass along to my trans guy would be great. I really don't have $4500 to go with an FLT or RPM trans. 🤑
Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

I'm dying a slow death here. My trans guy thought that by opening some passages inside the valve body that the issue would be fixed. He replaced the burnt clutches and opened up the valve body. STILL NOT SHIFTING!!! Anybody got any suggestions ? Could the issue be in the converter ?

Last edited by junk c5; 05-30-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

You need a new trans tuner it sounds like to me...it seems like it's not hitting the shift targets in the map, probably the mph target. Lower the shift rpm to like 5000 and lower the shift mph a few mph and see what it does.. If the shift targets are that low, and it's still crashing into the limiter, it's probably something else in the trans..

Also, dynoing a 4l60 is the kiss of death for them, that's what fries the 3-4 clutches so fast. When the dyno guy jumps on the dyno brake to slow the drum/engine down, there is low line pressure applied to the clutches in the trans because the throttle is closed...this forces the clutches to slip trying to slow the engine down using the drivetrain.

Your car sounds awesome tho!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You need a new trans tuner it sounds like to me...it seems like it's not hitting the shift targets in the map, probably the mph target. Lower the shift rpm to like 5000 and lower the shift mph a few mph and see what it does.. If the shift targets are that low, and it's still crashing into the limiter, it's probably something else in the trans..

Also, dynoing a 4l60 is the kiss of death for them, that's what fries the 3-4 clutches so fast. When the dyno guy jumps on the dyno brake to slow the drum/engine down, there is low line pressure applied to the clutches in the trans because the throttle is closed...this forces the clutches to slip trying to slow the engine down using the drivetrain.

Thx for the response. The tuner has a lot of experience with these combos. I know he lowered the shift point to where he thought it would shift for sure but obviously that didn't happen. I'll reach out to him and let him know about the situation. Maybe he can ask around.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure the tcc isn't slipping. That creates a lot of heat and will take out the trans. Usually 4th and then 3rd gear go first. Get a bigger cooler too. 185* is about as hot as you'd ever wanna see it. The dyno isn't that hard on the trans. I imagine it may be hotter on the road. After multiple pulls while tuning my trans temp was 144* putting down 830rwhp.

Last edited by C5Natie; 06-03-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:35 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Make sure the tcc isn't slipping. That creates a lot of heat and will take out the trans. Usually 4th and then 3rd gear go first. Get a bigger cooler too. 185* is about as hot as you'd ever wanna see it. The dyno isn't that hard on the trans. I imagine it may be hotter on the road. After multiple pulls while tuning my trans temp was 144* putting down 830rwhp.
See above in bold...call RPM, talk to the pros, see what they tell you.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:44 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

See above in bold...call RPM, talk to the pros, see what they tell you.
No need. I've asked my tuner and trans guy.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

I had my trans guy come by yesterday and we put his pressure gauge in the service test port on the drivers side of the trans then took it for a ride. He said the idle and pressures in all gears while stopped looked normal. Pressure at WOT was around 225 - 230lbs. He also hooked up his scanner and he watched the scanner while I drove. He's stumped because he said everything appeared normal. The DIC and his scanner had the trans temp at 179* after 15 minutes of cruising and a couple hard hits. He's been getting his building tips from somebody else because he met a trans guy in California who supposed to know how to get a 4L60E to handle power. The trans worked great before he started taking his guys advise.

The trans is 15 minutes from being on the ground. I need a hand physically getting the cradle and everything that comes with it down. Chances are pretty good I'll drop the trans at FLT Monday afternoon. Unfortunately FLT is backed up 2-3 weeks. ��
Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Something is up. Hopefully you guys figure it out.
Do you have a big enough cooler?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by junk c5
I had my trans guy come by yesterday and we put his pressure gauge in the service test port on the drivers side of the trans then took it for a ride. He said the idle and pressures in all gears while stopped looked normal. Pressure at WOT was around 225 - 230lbs. He also hooked up his scanner and he watched the scanner while I drove. He's stumped because he said everything appeared normal. The DIC and his scanner had the trans temp at 179* after 15 minutes of cruising and a couple hard hits. He's been getting his building tips from somebody else because he met a trans guy in California who supposed to know how to get a 4L60E to handle power. The trans worked great before he started taking his guys advise.

The trans is 15 minutes from being on the ground. I need a hand physically getting the cradle and everything that comes with it down. Chances are pretty good I'll drop the trans at FLT Monday afternoon. Unfortunately FLT is backed up 2-3 weeks. ��
I sold you injectors a will back. We meet at shell gas station. If you need help putting it back in let me know? If you didn't move you are not that far away.

Last edited by helga203; 06-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
junk c5 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helga203
I sold you injectors a will back. We meet at shell gas station. If you need help putting it back in let me know? If you didn't move you are not that far away.
That's kick *** man, thx for the offer. I'm still on the south side of Chicago ... Once I get it right I'll shoot u a message when I hit the local street racing spots.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Something is up. Hopefully you guys figure it out.
Do you have a big enough cooler?
I believe so. It's got 2 B&M supercoolers and one has a fan on it..
Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

I believe so. It's got 2 B&M supercoolers and one has a fan on it..
I ditched my BM Supercooler and went with one big Tru-Cool. I havent even needed a fan for it yet whereas I did with the BM. Im seeing at least 20*+ lower temps with ambient are cooling alone.
It has a higher btu rating than the biggest BM cooler.

Tru-Cool Max LPD47391
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Cool-Max-40-000-GVW-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Low-Pressure-Drop-OC-4739-1-/321995823346?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Trans is at FLT and the converter leaves for PTC tomorrow morning.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

That's kick *** man, thx for the offer. I'm still on the south side of Chicago ... Once I get it right I'll shoot u a message when I hit the local street racing spots.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

So far the diagnosis is a crack in the forward piston. With any luck the trans will be back together soon and working 100 % again.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:51 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Level 6 from FLT otw home with a fresh PTC converter.

Last edited by junk c5; 07-22-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans help with front mount turbo C5

Quick Reply: Trans help with front mount turbo C5