C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt slip

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:14 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Probably a pretty good sign it's slipping

I'm still surprised though--ECS tensioner is quite strong

What belt model/size are you running?

I'm on just the base ECS kit, 3.25" pulley, stock size balancer and have very little dust. I switched to a cheapo belt, they seem a lot grippier than the more expensive ones

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-09-2016 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
a/c man (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Probably a pretty good sign it's slipping

I'm still surprised though--ECS tensioner is quite strong

What belt model/size are you running?

I'm on just the base ECS kit, 3.25" pulley, stock size balancer and have very little dust. I switched to a cheapo belt, they seem a lot grippier than the more expensive ones
I do believe I didn't have it right enough, I still haven't had much time to mess with it though.

I currently am running a standard gates belt but going to switch to the HD belt once I get the correct size of belt I believe I have the correct size belt it just needs to be adjusted properly.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Keep in mind just because a belt is stronger doesn't mean it grips any better, so heavy duty, etc. doesn't necessarily mean anything if it's from with a harder material that slips more.

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-09-2016 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
a/c man (06-09-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
I do believe I didn't have it right enough, I still haven't had much time to mess with it though.

I currently am running a standard gates belt but going to switch to the HD belt once I get the correct size of belt I believe I have the correct size belt it just needs to be adjusted properly.
One other thing you might think about is since its been slipping the belt will wear and not fit as as it should in the grooves. Before trying what Chris said to do i would consider putting a new belt on along with adding the extra tension.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:20 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

"Boost comes up then drops off to 10, or never peaks above it, ever?"

knowing how the boost rises and then drops or just never eclipses a certain psi can help narrow it down from boost leak to belt slip.

of course if you're current belt has been slipping needs to be replaced. doesn't hurt to clean the pulleys down with brake cleaner too in case you got some ***** on them.

Quick Reply: Belt slip