C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing gas tanks with turbos

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing gas tanks with turbos

Hey every one.
I have been looking at twin turbo setups and I really can't find any I like (as far as plumbing and turbo placement goes)
I am going to be needing to replace the sending unit in my fuel tank fairly soon and from what I understand you need to pull the tank out (no small task I hear)
Anyways back to turbos.
The car is going to be a street/strip car and I was thinking about putting a fuel cell in the trunk (where the cd changer used to be)
And mounting turbos where the gas tanks used to be. I like the idea better than the upp fender mounted turbos and the behind the axle options.

Anyone tried this? Or have any input on the placement idea.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...street-c6.html
The following users liked this post:
StudentDriver (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

the largest tank I have seen fit in that well without sticking up is 12 gallons. I am not sure if you can reflash the ECM to just read 1 fuel level sender instead of 2.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:20 PM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Thanks Turbo-Geist I thought "Somebody must have thought of this before me!"
I keep forgetting to broaden my searches by looking at the c6's
Old 08-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by StudentDriver
Hey every one.
I have been looking at twin turbo setups and I really can't find any I like (as far as plumbing and turbo placement goes)
I am going to be needing to replace the sending unit in my fuel tank fairly soon and from what I understand you need to pull the tank out (no small task I hear)
Anyways back to turbos.
The car is going to be a street/strip car and I was thinking about putting a fuel cell in the trunk (where the cd changer used to be)
And mounting turbos where the gas tanks used to be. I like the idea better than the upp fender mounted turbos and the behind the axle options.

What year is your car? If sub what, mid year 2003, you should have access to the fuel sending unit very easily,...very easily. Just remove tire, remove wheel well inner liner,...fuel lines, and fuel hat. Have an empty tank, or have a drip tray to catch the leaking fuel. The job is simple and easy....unless it is later than a mid 2003-04-o6-etc etc etc.

This- Only known example of a MID mount C5/C6. If I was going to put a fuel cell inside of a vette though, I would block off the rear compartment, permanently.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:36 PM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smoove
What year is your car? If sub what, mid year 2003, you should have access to the fuel sending unit very easily,...very easily. Just remove tire, remove wheel well inner liner,...fuel lines, and fuel hat. Have an empty tank, or have a drip tray to catch the leaking fuel. The job is simple and easy....unless it is later than a mid 2003-04-o6-etc etc etc.

Mine is a 99
I figured as long as I have them out I should do something fun with the car (it's called excuse building, don't build unless you have an excuse)

This- Only known example of a MID mount C5/C6. If I was going to put a fuel cell inside of a vette though, I would block off the rear compartment, permanently.
Only example you say! Eh?
Good to know. I thought my googling skills were broken when I didn't find anything.

I would too but my car is a coupe so blocking it off would be a little impractical. And unlike that c6 I'm planning on sinking the tank, so the top is flush with the floor (and I might be able to use the stock carpet cover over it so I can keep it more low key)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Build away hommie....build away.

If you want a "tip"....just the tip...I would say instead of DUMPING the exhaust out the side of the car, .....maybe use the Z06 brake ducts, or make your own INTAKE ducts for the turbos and have the intakes feeding from the outside of the car, catching coolish, fresh air...and have the exhaust routed back in, and out the back. Depending on the size of the tank....that routing may not effect your tank/exhaust tip setup. You could always run dumps but....personally hate dumps. If you ever have someone in the car, or hell, even by yourself,...you can barely hear anything.

Anyways, just how I would do it if I went that route.......which I almost did years ago. We actually built a G35 like that as well, fuel cell in trunk....turbos in the location where the tank used to be. You can hear the turbos spooling thru the floorboards lol.
Have fun with the build.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 AM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smoove
Build away hommie....build away.

If you want a "tip"....just the tip...I would say instead of DUMPING the exhaust out the side of the car, .....maybe use the Z06 brake ducts, or make your own INTAKE ducts for the turbos and have the intakes feeding from the outside of the car, catching coolish, fresh air...and have the exhaust routed back in, and out the back. Depending on the size of the tank....that routing may not effect your tank/exhaust tip setup. You could always run dumps but....personally hate dumps. If you ever have someone in the car, or hell, even by yourself,...you can barely hear anything.

Anyways, just how I would do it if I went that route.......which I almost did years ago. We actually built a G35 like that as well, fuel cell in trunk....turbos in the location where the tank used to be. You can hear the turbos spooling thru the floorboards lol.
Have fun with the build.
I am planning on using zo6 break intakes for the air intake, I'm actually going to make some custom carbon fiber ones that are a little more aggressive on the scoop so I can grab air better.
Looking at the underside of my car I think I have enough room route them over the axle (I don't really want to) and exit in a normal area. I am thinking up and over the wheel well and exit out the normal area but I'd take the long route, kind of how the STS kit does with the cold air. Kind of hard to describe but I would be able to put a 12" muffler on it so that's a bonus.
Now all I have to do is start saving up the money for the turbos.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

What the reason for wanting to mount the turbos where the fuel tanks sit? I think Sinistter did it because he wanted large turbos but didn't want to cut up the engine bay and have to move things around.

Now Huron Speed are in the process of releasing a stat kit that can mount pretty large turbos up front with minimal moving of things. This would also save you having to do the fuel cell (and hopefully steel firewall!).

Also if you want to run mufflers and have the exhaust exiting in the stock location, are they not going to be awfully close to be fuel cell? Have you not thought about say a single rear mounted turbo (been done a few times before)? Would be easier to fab and still make killer power.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to agree with chunington101 on this. Yes it would be a cool build but i dont think it would be much of an advantage over rear mounts and is certainly harder to do.
Regarding mufflers, consider running without them. It really isnt any louder than the loudest type of street mufflers with turbos.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

All it would do is benefit straight line traction having the extra weight over the back tires. Cornering, would be prone to over steer(tail comes out-)due to weight transferred to rear, instead of centered.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Ps.. Changing the sending unit it easy and you definitely do not need to drop the tank at all. Just the metal shield.

This sounds like a lot of complication and rebuilding the wheel for no significant gain against other options.

That said, every car is unique and this would definitely be that
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

If you want rear weight transfer buy a 911! Lol seriously there are plenty of guys going VERY fast in corvettes. Yeah traction will need decent rubber but there are options. but engineering that solution is easier than the fuel cell.

Not trying to put a dampener on things. And hey it's your car at the end of the day. So you do with it what you see fit.

I'll try and remember / dig out the car that was running a rear mounted 88mm. Zombie seems to ring some bells. A gen2 precision 76mm would also offer loads of power with less lag. Someone in the C6 section is looking to use one.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 AM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by StudentDriver
Hey every one.
Anyways back to turbos.

What are your REAL WORLD goals for this vette besides a "street/strip" car. Whats your honest HP goal....or more importantly your budget as that will effect EVERYTHING you do.

- Travis
Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 AM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Hey everybody, I've been out a few days so I'll start with @trayack real goals are 650-700rwhp in the next three years (this isn't going to be a quick build, by any means) if I could get around the crazy smog laws in my state I'd love to somehow (if it burns clean but it doesn't have approved heads, cam, heck even internals not that they look that close. They will fail you on the "visual inspection") do a single rear turbo but alas I can't.
The budget for the build is around 25k and that counts the transmission.

Now for the others. For now I'm only interested in going straight. And I want something unequaled by any other car I may meet (looks and performance) perhaps later I may want to do some track driving, but I have my eyes on another car that is better suited for that (why have one corvette when you can have two)
I have revised my opinion of having the exhaust exit in the original location as I have a friend who is working on making one off rear bumpers for the c5 and I might have him make me one with exhaust ports on the outer edges, as opposed to the inside like it is now. (We shall cross that road when we get there.

Not to get too sidetracked but I know somebody is going to suggest going NA because you can get close to that horsepower for about that kind of money, to that I say "thank you for your suggestion, but I am gonna pass"

At the risk of sounding snooty I'd like to say that there is a reason I left out a bunch of details in the original post, and that is because I don't need to discuss the list of stuff that is going to need to be replaced or whatever if I put that kind of power in the car. The only think I have gained however from the unsolicited advice is the comment about the steel firewall. I think I may have a twist on it that will do the same thing.
Thank you chuntington101 for the inspiration.
Ok it's time for me to hit the hay. I'll see what y'all have to say back in the morning.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:42 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

This is my real build thread documenting the entire build from conception to completion:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...win-turbo.html

Feel free to message me about my midmount setup. I came up with the idea 4 years ago and had a shop do the fab work.

The benefits to the setup is more space for a larger turbo, larger piping to improve efficiency, weight transfer over rear axle, custom fuel cell for unlimited fuel pump options.

The downsides are inaccurate fuel level reading (I essentially have no gauge and am actively working to fix this problem) and cost, you will need to make everything custom.

I don't list lag because even with a 7678 turbo the antilag from my computer allows me to build 10lbs of boost before the start of a roll race.
The following users liked this post:
bad man Barry White (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 07:19 PM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
This is my real build thread documenting the entire build from conception to completion:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...win-turbo.html

Feel free to message me about my midmount setup. I came up with the idea 4 years ago and had a shop do the fab work.

The benefits to the setup is more space for a larger turbo, larger piping to improve efficiency, weight transfer over rear axle, custom fuel cell for unlimited fuel pump options.

The downsides are inaccurate fuel level reading (I essentially have no gauge and am actively working to fix this problem) and cost, you will need to make everything custom.

I don't list lag because even with a 7678 turbo the antilag from my computer allows me to build 10lbs of boost before the start of a roll race.
Thank you I will be keeping in touch. I think I have a slight advantage over your build in that I have a full shop at my disposal so that should cut down on a good amount of cost.
I would probably keep track of the gas the way I do in my daily (gas gauge is off by a good amount, so I reset the trip every time I fill up. 235 miles is exactly half tank @10mpg) however if you come up with a solution let me know.
I'm still working on how to create a firewall without taking up too much trunk space (just another bump in the road) if I had a fixed roof car it would be 10x easier.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:53 PM
StudentDriver
Intermediate

Or I might just full fire suit every time I go driving. Lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing gas tanks with turbos

Quick Reply: Replacing gas tanks with turbos