C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which engine oil for boosted cars?

 
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM
  #41  
inspector12
CF Senior Member
 
inspector12's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Pearland Texas
Posts: 1,685
Likes: 0
Liked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Juhatee View Post
Unfortunately not. Just theories, book knowledge and experience with smaller capacity engines with high hp.

With 1300+ hp it might be hard to get rods and block which are so rigid that you could use ideal clearances so I see your point there.

EDIT: I assume also that it's a quess what kind of deformations there are and therefore the extra clearance is also a quess..?
Well all the manufacturers of the bearings make them bigger at the parting lines, I assume for the same reason. They are not round like you might think The rods are perfectly round (.001")and the bearing are not so I'm guessing that's from experience on there part same with the mains. So when you talk about clearances its only the top and bottom that really measured. You check the side clearance for reference, but they will all be quite larger than top to bottom.

Last edited by inspector12; 10-25-2016 at 05:13 PM.
inspector12 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by inspector12:
a/c man (11-01-2016), MVP'S ZO6 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:31 PM
  #42  
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Earth, United States
Posts: 8,122
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06 View Post
LSX Block with .0003-.00032 main clearances
High Volume Standard Pressure Melling Pump
Twin Turbo with ball bearing restrictors


With Conventional 10-30 Valvoline im seeing 27psi hot idle 250 Degrees and Mid 40's cruising..


I was concerned about pressure too until I spoke with some people that I believe are wiser than I am in that field... I am considering installing the high pressure spring in the pump though. Wonder if that will actually raise pressure.... Ill be putting my Setrab 625 cooler back into the system this winter so I know that will induce some pressure drop and I would rather not have that happen.
That's .0030 - .0032 for your main clearances sir. If your main clearances were .0003 - .00032 you probably would have wiped out the mains by now. :cheers:

Ok this is for everyone's knowledge if you don't know this already. One thing people need to understand about their oiling system is that it is a hydraulic circuit. In a hydraulic circuit one needs to understand the difference between pressure and flow. Contrary to popular belief The oil pump does not produce pressure. The oil pump delivers flow. The flow that the pump delivers is met by resistance (the oiling system to include the thickness of the oil itself) the amount of resistance is the pressure with in your hydraulic system (in this case the engine oiling system) is pressure.

So if you have a specific bearing clearance for illustration purposes let's say it's .001" vertical oil clearance on your main bearings; and your hot idle pressure is 30 psi and you open that clearance up to .003 your oil pressure (which as we have just learned is the measurement of resistance to flow) is going to go down. Because the door the oil has to go through (the clearance) is now larger. This is what happens in a very basic sense. It should also be known that like most hydraulic pumps, your oil pumps "FLOW" is determined by its size and how fast it's driven. Make sense?

So if you thicken your engine oil you can change your oiling systems "Pressure" same goes for thinning you oil.

If you change your pumps speed or size you can change your oiling systems "Pressure".

If you chance the size of your your oiling system circuit (part of that being bearing clearances) you can change your oiling systems "Pressure"

So, when you guys change any of these things you need to realize that you need to "establish a Trend" (good phrase for this scenario BlownBlueZ06 uses) in oil pressure before you go freaking out.

Make sense?
MVP'S ZO6 is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:12 AM
  #43  
TTBlueZ06
CF Senior Member
 
TTBlueZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Posts: 520
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Yeah yeah yeah.... typo.
TTBlueZ06 is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:08 AM
  #44  
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Earth, United States
Posts: 8,122
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06 View Post
Yeah yeah yeah.... typo.
MVP'S ZO6 is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  #45  
Blow Torch
CF Senior Member
 
Blow Torch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin GA
Posts: 3,011
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Corvette0096 View Post
Rotella 15w40
Is this the T6?
I have looked for T6 15-40 and cant seem to find anywhere local
Blow Torch is offline  
Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 AM
  #46  
PEETYZ
CF Senior Member
 
PEETYZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 1,995
Liked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Default

T6 is 5-40 synthetic but can be used in the 15-40 non synthetic applications in place of the other oil in the rotella line. I read it on their site I believe. T6 is my current oil as well
PEETYZ is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM
  #47  
SyndicatePlus
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Good writeup on why something like Brad Penn Racing Oil makes a real difference.

ForcePerformance PDF

However, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has amazing protection. And if you add Prolong, even better. Or so says this long list of comparisons

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I use T6 in my 7.3 F350. It is also pretty awesome stuff.

Last edited by SyndicatePlus; 04-18-2017 at 07:19 PM.
SyndicatePlus is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM
  #48  
winters97gt
CF Senior Member
 
winters97gt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Mid 9's TX
Posts: 8,260
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Rotella 15w40
winters97gt is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 AM
  #49  
romandian
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,027
Liked 34 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SyndicatePlus View Post
Good writeup on why something like Brad Penn Racing Oil makes a real difference.

ForcePerformance PDF

However, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has amazing protection. And if you add Prolong, even better. Or so says this long list of comparisons

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I use T6 in my 7.3 F350. It is also pretty awesome stuff.
very interesting. the two documents basically contradict themselves. and mobil1 is still the best according to the latter. i wonder who wrote it.
romandian is online now  
Old 04-29-2017, 03:06 AM
  #50  
HardcoreABN
CF Senior Member
 
HardcoreABN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: Green Bay WI
Posts: 1,502
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SyndicatePlus View Post
Good writeup on why something like Brad Penn Racing Oil makes a real difference.

ForcePerformance PDF

However, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has amazing protection. And if you add Prolong, even better. Or so says this long list of comparisons

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I use T6 in my 7.3 F350. It is also pretty awesome stuff.
Prolong...isn't that what people take who don't wanna finish first?bahahaha
HardcoreABN is offline  
Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
  #51  
nullpointer
CF Senior Member
 
nullpointer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: East Aurora NY
Posts: 1,744
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I had a UOA done on my blown Z with PUP 5w30 and it wasn't good. Trying Castrol 0w-40 for 1000 miles and re-testing to see it metals dropped. Off the shelf is cheaper, but I might just have to go back to Amsoil.
nullpointer is offline  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 PM
  #52  
SyndicatePlus
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 80
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
Prolong...isn't that what people take who don't wanna finish first?bahahaha
Yes, I take a quart before sexy time. Works wonders, I go for days. My Girlfriend loves it. So does my wife.

LAWLZ
SyndicatePlus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which engine oil for boosted cars?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: