C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been thinking time to sell, upgrade to a C7 ZO6.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Been thinking time to sell, upgrade to a C7 ZO6.........

Then i took the time today to drive St Rt 164 up in NE Ohio again, so much fun! Car ran perfect, pulls hard, 60 miles of turns and hills, damn some of the hill drops are crazy. Don't have to push hard to get a workout either and so lightly traveled. Did see some sport bike guys getting after it pretty good, I loved this road back in my ZX days, or Cooks Forest.

So, on my way back I thought, is this gonna be any better in a new ZO6? I just don't see it, which isn't to say the C7 ZO6 isn't better. After all the time and effort I have in this I just don't think it will be better for me.

What a great day!

PC
Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Darion
Then i took the time today to drive St Rt 164 up in NE Ohio again, so much fun! Car ran perfect, pulls hard, 60 miles of turns and hills, damn some of the hill drops are crazy. Don't have to push hard to get a workout either and so lightly traveled. Did see some sport bike guys getting after it pretty good, I loved this road back in my ZX days, or Cooks Forest.

So, on my way back I thought, is this gonna be any better in a new ZO6? I just don't see it, which isn't to say the C7 ZO6 isn't better. After all the time and effort I have in this I just don't think it will be better for me.

What a great day!

PC
I live in the mountains, and love the canyons as well!

Keep the C5, we both know you'll never get a fraction back of what you bought it for, and put into it...

If you can swing it, and have the room, pull the trigger on the C7 Z, and keep the C5, sooner or later, the C5 will start to go up...

The technology differences on the new Z vs our Modded C5s is HUGE.
I'm keeping my C5, and for now, looks like I may keep the C6 as well, but also have a C7 Z06 with the Z07 package on the way...
ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!
The following users liked this post:
Darion (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:16 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5

Keep the C5, we both know you'll never get a fraction back of what you bought it for, and put into it...

If you can swing it, and have the room, pull the trigger on the C7 Z, and keep the C5, sooner or later, the C5 will start to go up...

I'm keeping my C5, and for now, looks like I may keep the C6 as well, but also have a C7 Z06 with the Z07 package on the way...
ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!

It is written,

He, who dies with the most toys,

Wins!
The following 2 users liked this post by donald4972:
50 ANV C5 (10-25-2016), Darion (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Darion
Safety Car

ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!
Hi! Ok just to start, love the track time videos ya put together and share, thank for that!

You are right, only will get a fraction back, is what it is ya know. I drove a C7 Z51 that a client has, he insisted , the tech difference is BIG, but, I don't miss what I don't know right?

My biggest issue is one of space. I winter store my Dads Camaro SS for him (a new 2017 vert coming), plus our Denali, three spaces all full and two company cars outside, good problem to have. I think what I need to do is get Dad to chip in on a lift!

Very happy you have been able to hold onto all those toys, oh and I take it ya ordered a 2017 Z06 Z07? Smart move waiting a couple years to give GM time to sort some early year issues out. Once you get your on thing is for sure, we will find out if the cooling issues have been addressed or not on the track. I'm not selling this one, it runs to good and is too clean. I have high ceilings in the garage time to do some measuring.

Take care, good luck with the new whip!

PC

Originally Posted by donald4972

It is written,

He, who dies with the most toys,

Wins!
JBS would appear to be winning!

PC

Last edited by Darion; 10-17-2016 at 09:25 AM.
jbsblownc5 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Darion
Hi! Ok just to start, love the track time videos ya put together and share, thank for that!

You are right, only will get a fraction back, is what it is ya know. I drove a C7 Z51 that a client has, he insisted , the tech difference is BIG, but, I don't miss what I don't know right?

My biggest issue is one of space. I winter store my Dads Camaro SS for him (a new 2017 vert coming), plus our Denali, three spaces all full and two company cars outside, good problem to have. I think what I need to do is get Dad to chip in on a lift!

Very happy you have been able to hold onto all those toys, oh and I take it ya ordered a 2017 Z06 Z07? Smart move waiting a couple years to give GM time to sort some early year issues out. Once you get your on thing is for sure, we will find out if the cooling issues have been addressed or not on the track. I'm not selling this one, it runs to good and is too clean. I have high ceilings in the garage time to do some measuring.

Take care, good luck with the new whip!

PC

JBS would appear to be winning!

PC

Thanks my friend! Yes, I wanted to wait till GM did at least something on the cooling. Also, there is good info on line about a few companies doing aftermarket work, and moving the cooler to get temps down...

Yes, I did get the Z07 package, and of course the Black Rose Metallic. While I do have a lift in my garage, I don't like to leave a car on it all the time, so I have just secured a spot in my neighbors garage!!
Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Dang that Black Rose Metallic, so nice, great choice. Cant use my neighbors garage, has a 911 4S, and two AMG Mercs and a big Merc SUV. To top it off the owner is a lady that loves fast cars! She has no room either, sadly. Lol

If I get a lift Dads ride will go onto for winter, once he takes it for spring it wont be back till next winter. I have room, time to start looking.

Later

PC

Last edited by Darion; 10-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.
jbsblownc5 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

In the same dilemma. Can't quite ball out on a C7Z and keep my C5Z.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by milan
in the same dilemma. Can't quite ball out on a c7z and keep my c5z.
Do it!

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-19-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:17 AM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep the C5Z, I've driven a few C7Z's and I don't like it. The c5/6Z is a much more raw car. That appeals to me. The C7Z lost all appeal to me before I even drove it, it never should have had a blower, it never should have been offered with anything but a fixed roof, and it sure as hell shouldn't have been offered with a auto. It instantly tarnished the cars Heritage and whatever prestige goes along with it. That car with a direct injected 7.0 would have been bad *** track car like the previous version. Instead you got a car that overheats and gets heat soaked...
449er (06-18-2019)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06
Keep the C5Z, I've driven a few C7Z's and I don't like it. The c5/6Z is a much more raw car. That appeals to me. The C7Z lost all appeal to me before I even drove it, it never should have had a blower, it never should have been offered with anything but a fixed roof, and it sure as hell shouldn't have been offered with a auto. It instantly tarnished the cars Heritage and whatever prestige goes along with it. That car with a direct injected 7.0 would have been bad *** track car like the previous version. Instead you got a car that overheats and gets heat soaked...

Pros and cons to all of them (C5/C6/C7)...

I loved my C5Z, the go cart feel on it, how small and light it is, and yes the "Raw" feeling it has...Not to mention they are very fast with minor bolt ons. Its definitely a "drivers" car and would be a fun track car. I wouldn't put it out of the relm of possibility of me getting another one some day...(but it will stay NA for sure)..... I really have no complaints about the C5Z other then the drivetrain made of glass that you can easily break with stock HP. C5s in general do have a TON of quirks/bugs in them but...hell what doesnt these days..?

As for the C7Z, when you drive one, they are almost boring to drive, the reason I say that is they drive so good, almost too good...They do everything well, very refined compared to the C5/C6, almost too refined if you're into that "driver car" feel. Inside and out, they are truly a different kind of sports car from a C5Z, eventhough they carry a bunch of weight, they do everything better.. More grip, better steering and stability, better braking etc...

Really the only thing the C7Z is lacking is HP....They definitely should have came with a bigger blower, better intercooler etc...(especially by our standards), they do suffer from heat soak and some KR... but in the grand scheme of things, a car you can go buy new, run 10s and have a warranty is pretty amazing.

As for the "over heating" yes they have over heating problems on road tracks, particularly the automatic cars due to the higher rpms, there is supposedly upgrades on the 17s for this but...I doubt it makes much difference. If you are not road coarsing the car, you'll never get it hot. You'll never overheat one on public roads/canyon roads etc..

The best thing about them is, for less then $4k in parts, you can run 9.90s@140 with an A8 car and still drive completely like stock and get 26 mpg.

However I would not use a C7 for a big power build. With the fuel system constraints etc, you will spend a fortune trying to get around the fuel system stuff, also I would not use an A8 for BIG power. Too finicky, no one builds 8L90s yet and you're just asking for problems. So for 1k rwhp builds, I would stick with a C5/C6.

C7s really are better cars all the way around if you are into refinement and technology...but..you pay for it for sure. Just depends on what you are actually going to use the car for.

I love all generations of vettes, they are al great in their own ways. I even like C4s..

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-20-2016 at 10:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajrothm:
Dellis (10-20-2016), jbsblownc5 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:57 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!
jbsblownc5 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Pros and cons to all of them (C5/C6/C7)...

I loved my C5Z, the go cart feel on it, how small and light it is, and yes the "Raw" feeling it has...Not to mention they are very fast with minor bolt ons. Its definitely a "drivers" car and would be a fun track car. I wouldn't put it out of the relm of possibility of me getting another one some day...(but it will stay NA for sure)..... I really have no complaints about the C5Z other then the drivetrain made of glass that you can easily break with stock HP. C5s in general do have a TON of quirks/bugs in them but...hell what doesnt these days..?

As for the C7Z, when you drive one, they are almost boring to drive, the reason I say that is they drive so good, almost too good...They do everything well, very refined compared to the C5/C6, almost too refined if you're into that "driver car" feel. Inside and out, they are truly a different kind of sports car from a C5Z, eventhough they carry a bunch of weight, they do everything better.. More grip, better steering and stability, better braking etc...

Really the only thing the C7Z is lacking is HP....They definitely should have came with a bigger blower, better intercooler etc...(especially by our standards), they do suffer from heat soak and some KR... but in the grand scheme of things, a car you can go buy new, run 10s and have a warranty is pretty amazing.

As for the "over heating" yes they have over heating problems on road tracks, particularly the automatic cars due to the higher rpms, there is supposedly upgrades on the 17s for this but...I doubt it makes much difference. If you are not road coarsing the car, you'll never get it hot. You'll never overheat one on public roads/canyon roads etc..

The best thing about them is, for less then $4k in parts, you can run 9.90s@140 with an A8 car and still drive completely like stock and get 26 mpg.

However I would not use a C7 for a big power build. With the fuel system constraints etc, you will spend a fortune trying to get around the fuel system stuff, also I would not use an A8 for BIG power. Too finicky, no one builds 8L90s yet and you're just asking for problems. So for 1k rwhp builds, I would stick with a C5/C6.

C7s really are better cars all the way around if you are into refinement and technology...but..you pay for it for sure. Just depends on what you are actually going to use the car for.

I love all generations of vettes, they are al great in their own ways. I even like C4s..
On the trans with the c7 plus the OTHER problems with the flywheel and problems inside the trans.on the a8 cars with higher rwhp. Go with the stick car trans is holding up much better than the A8..

Last edited by robert miller; 10-20-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Hey all thanks for the good conversation. I'm gonna get a lift with a springtime install in mind, give me something to look forward too over winter. Gonna be a four post I figure as it will be mostly for storage. Once that is straight and I have a place to put and extra car I will see what I can find in a ZO6 or GS. I love that wider body and will be a vert this time, maybe the GS with an, omg, auto! Yes you are thinking correct, gonna be the wife's car so we can take the 9 and 10 year-old out at the same time. She has no interest in driving Blue, at all.

Blue is staying till I'm to old to drive it, as the wife put it, then my son gets it. By that time with the grace of god the kids will be out and doing well and all we will need in one vert with an auto to be old in.

PC
Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Bravo TTBlueZ06....Well said
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Hey this one comes back from the dead and I forgot all about it! I still have the C5 and will still keep it. With the C8 revel just around the corner I interested to see what it will be and then add it to the garage if its a great fit for us. Well its that or I get back to motorcycles which is really a tough decision, although one is much easier on the wallet!! Lol
Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 PM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I owned a C6Z before my blown C5. If I could afford to keep my Hellcat AND have a C7Z, I would sell the C5 immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To Been thinking time to sell, upgrade to a C7 ZO6.........

Quick Reply: Been thinking time to sell, upgrade to a C7 ZO6.........