C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 forged bottom end, 346 or 383

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Hey Kimmo, I didn't realize this was you. I hope all is well in Finland.

I've been sort of helping bret out in the background on this one. Your two new pistons are on their way to you. Wiseco has been extremely helpful and they gave zero hasle in replacing the faulty pistons simply based on my word and the photos. We tried to just have them directly shipped from Wiseco to you but due to company policy and the particular situation they had to ship them to me here in the states first. I took them out of the box and measured the pin bosses to ensure these ones are not too big. Please accept my sincere apologies for the faulty pistons we will get you squared away. I will make a note of it to send bret the package tracking information so that you can follow your package online.

Thank you!
That was good news pistons are on the way. Sure i understand you or Bret cant anything i get faulty pistons. Just wondering how that can pass Wiseco quality control and how many bad pistons they make before see problem in their machine.
Can say it was good thing fault was so bad and it was easy to see when install pistons to rods.
Man who make heads call and say, intake valves have small corrosion or i am not sure how say in english. He say E85 can make that in stock valved if not drive almost every day. I deside to change both valves to Ferrea stainless steel valves.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I got a bad piston in my Wiseco order as well. They may not have the best WC process but they are quick to resolve any issues.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
I got a bad piston in my Wiseco order as well. They may not have the best WC process but they are quick to resolve any issues.
Did you have same problem in your piston what i have? I was thinking i am not only who get faulty pistons.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I'd have to check with Mike because he is the guy who assembled everything but I believe the groove for the piston ring was not machined properly and the ring would not fit.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette97sc
That was good news pistons are on the way. Sure i understand you or Bret cant anything i get faulty pistons. Just wondering how that can pass Wiseco quality control and how many bad pistons they make before see problem in their machine.
Can say it was good thing fault was so bad and it was easy to see when install pistons to rods.
Man who make heads call and say, intake valves have small corrosion or i am not sure how say in english. He say E85 can make that in stock valved if not drive almost every day. I deside to change both valves to Ferrea stainless steel valves.
It's unfortunate that something like that made it past the Quality Control portion of the shop. My apologies for any delay this caused. I'm assuming your two new pistons arrived by now. Please keep us informed on your build and I can't wait to see your car up and running terrorizing the Streets of Finland! One day; I'd like to make my way over to your part of the world for a visit. I like the Nordic part of the world.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
I'd have to check with Mike because he is the guy who assembled everything but I believe the groove for the piston ring was not machined properly and the ring would not fit.
thats correct. Which reminds me; I never sent that piston back. It's been sitting on my work bench since the new one came in. They're going to credit my account if I turn it in.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Given the amount of product they put out I'd venture to guess that the number of faulty products they have are less than 1% of product that is faulty. I've seen problems with just about every major aftermarket performance parts company out there. What separates the good and bad is hoe it's handles IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
winters97gt (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 04:36 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette97sc
I can tell you that who you are dealing with, is the most stand up guys in the community. A bad piston or two is very uncommon, but everything happens. Bret has never touched my cars, and MVP was one of the engine builders at the shop my short block got built at. Let's just say word travels real fast on crap parts and those that back up their name without protection of a forum sponsor like at LS1tech. You're dealing with strait up guys, I've spent a long time on the phone with Bret in years past on different builds. Guy leaves his ego aside. MVP is an engine guru.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
It's unfortunate that something like that made it past the Quality Control portion of the shop. My apologies for any delay this caused. I'm assuming your two new pistons arrived by now. Please keep us informed on your build and I can't wait to see your car up and running terrorizing the Streets of Finland! One day; I'd like to make my way over to your part of the world for a visit. I like the Nordic part of the world.
Yeah i get new pistons We take engine out from top but we was thinking maybe put it back in bottom. And in rear have to install trans brace and i also have poly bushing set what have to change. So maybe drop rear cradle also.
I recommend Bret in finnish corvette forum and sure i would deal with him again when need parts
MVP'S ZO6 dont come in winter to north
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Just thinking how high engine would rev? I have BTR .660 double valve spring with steel retainers. Cam is Dallas Performancen Stage II Blower Cam and front of cam read.
XA 232
360 - 242
360 - 117.5
Now just install Straub trunnion kit.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:44 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Now bottom end is ready. I also change new water pump, did pulley should weld to shaft? I have 3.25" pulley in novi2000 and 10% OD balancer. Maybe need to make resistor plate to keep boost about 15psi...
Still waiting heads and cant put motor back to car.
We also install DTE trans brace and start to change poly bushing.
Attached Images        
Old 05-04-2017, 02:21 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Your progress is Looking good Kimmo!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Finally get heads back. New valves, valve job and ported. We check combustion chamber and it was only 65cc. Ferrea valves have thicker valve plate is one thing what effect. So compression rate is 10.7:1 what is more than expect. Then we measure timing and calculate dynamic compression, wallace calculator give 6.25:1. So cam help alot to dynamic compression.
I use already E85 so i dont think that compression would be problem...
Attached Images      
Old 05-28-2017, 03:39 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Now engine start to be ready. We think about timing and retard timing 4 degrees. Exhaust valve start to open so early.
This are 4 degrees retard numbers.
Intake Valve Open: 30 BTDC @ 0.006")
Intake Valve Close: 77 ABDC @ 0.006")
Exhaust Valve Open: 89 BBDC @ 0.006")
Exhaust Valve Close: 30 ATDC @ 0.006")
Dynamic compression is now 7.64:1.
Belt system was now easier to line when engine was off. Ps-pulley and alternator have to move about 1.5mm more inside.
Is that headunit oil return in right height? Its that green plug in pics.
I change new GM slave cylinder and measure clearance. Slave was 57mm and clutch finger to bellhouse 54mm, WTF. It was -3mm and need about same to clearance.
I buy clutch from this forum and seller say its like new.
I ask from Spec that problem and measures from new clutch plates.
They answer is clutch is worn that cause problem and give new plates measures.
Friction pads was 0.7mm and 0.6mm thinner than new. We put shim between plates to make it same as new, and then clutch clearance was right.
Spec say its so old model and they dont make new disks anymore. So i send clutch to one company in Finland and they change new friction pads.
Clutch not been slip and thats why its look fine, but its driving ALOT.
Now i get first time cheated when buy used stuff
Attached Images    

Last edited by Vette97sc; 05-28-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:32 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i would have gone with another waterpump that has a narrower pulley. hopefully that "bell" will not come loose like mine did.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by romandian
i would have gone with another waterpump that has a narrower pulley. hopefully that "bell" will not come loose like mine did.
Thats good point. Actually we weld that pulley to shaft with TIC already.
Before i have ls2 waterpump but its last only 4 summer and start to leak abit when not drive for while. I read somewhere that ls1 waterpump should have bigger bearing. I dont know is that true or not.

Last edited by Vette97sc; 05-28-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:57 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

no use welding this piece of crap imo. its cast so tiging it to the tool steel shaft probably only weakens it. what a weird design.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 forged bottom end, 346 or 383

Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Here is some new pics from project. Now engine is in car and take first smoke. Smoke coming alot from new headers heatwraps!
Engine sound good and everything look good in hptuners scanner.
My brother make cart to engine where was wheels and can adjust every corner height. Engine was easier to get right line with torquetube and torquetube shaft go easly to engine.
Alternator and radiator cradle have to take off, but its not bad job.
Clutch was fixed here in Finland and its feel good.
Sound quality is crap with old phone, have to take better video later.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Vette97sc; 07-08-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

New pipes

TB silicon hose have to change and better clamps.

We put oil pressure to engine before first start with this pressure bottle. There is own oil filter and we feed oil to supercharger oil feed line.
After first start we change oil and open oil filter. Oil and filter look fine.

Last edited by Vette97sc; 07-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Now 3" exhaust is ready. Just vacuum actuator to cutout is missing.
We cut trunk floor and modified it to get more space to exhaust.
Next have to drive break-in to motor and hope soon can get dyno time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INIlPK...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Vette97sc; 07-17-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 forged bottom end, 346 or 383