C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking suggestions for a-pillar gauges and general FI questions

Old 01-10-2021, 11:56 PM
RathsZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Seeking suggestions for a-pillar gauges and general FI questions

I’m pulling together the support parts for an A&A V3TI kit install that I’m doing later this winter on my 02 C5Z. I have the complete kit with 38mm BOV, 3.8 pulley, 6 rib system, Kenne Bell boost a pump (which I think won’t work on an 02), 10% overdrive crank pulley, and the beefed up OEM 2004 power steering pump bracket

I’m seeking actual end user feedback on what two 2 1/16” gauges you would suggest to best monitor powertrain vitals. I really don’t like a-pillar gauges as they feel a little ricey and arrogant to me, but I got a full length a-pillar mount for cheap and need to put a gauge or two somewhere. I am planning on one of them to be a standard autometer vacuum/boost gauge.

in case it’s helpful, Existing drivetrain mods are FAST 98 intake, LS2 TB, CAI, BTR stage 2 cam, 1000cc FIC's, LG Super Pro's, no CATS, B&B X pipe with stock TI exhaust with muffler bypass mod, truck ignition coils, LS7 clutch. I know the clutch won’t last long, planning to do a twin disc once I smoke this one since I just put it in last year.

if you all want to help me out with a few other things, here’s some things I’m trying to figure out. Should I plan to run MAF or speed density? If I should run MAF, I will get the A&A aluminum girdle to reinforce the plastic part of the sensor. I’m still waiting to hear back from my tuner for input on this. Think the 38mm BOV is enough or should I swap it for the 50mm? (not because I want it louder, just concerned it wont be able to drop the pressure fast enough if I bounce it off the rev limiter) I am thinking the car will fall in the 7-800 hp @ the crank range with around 12psi. Is that too much for a car with 120k on the clock? I plan to run the car 100% on E85. Thoughts on all of this?

luckily I have a fantastic tuner that has 20
years of experience tuning LS’s and lots of experience owning, building, and tuning FI cars. He is a long time Corvette owner as well

Last edited by RathsZ06; 01-11-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:19 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm a fan of the speed density tune for e85 and ignoring the maf Nothing wrong with a maf tune, ask your tuner what he prefers and why

speed density give the ecm less input, but the mafs "max out" at the high flow rates above the rates they are designed for and become useless at wot (like the durn narrow band o2!!

for the guages, I like the aem "fail safe" air fuel gauge. it gives a failsafe output that allows you to dump the boost if the car runs too lean (very clever) and a boost guage

you should monitor fuel pressure as well so really 3 gauges are best but it can be hard to fin the 3 pod stuff and then the pillar does get busy

I'd rather look a little ricey and monitor the critical engine functions than not. I'll take the hit

I just got "initiated" to the blower crowd with a new ride (I'm primarily a turbo guy) and I'm digging it. boost a muv

Last edited by Rkreigh; 01-11-2021 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:57 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 963 Likes on 779 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

You can put a 3rd guage in the ashtray spot like this

Old 01-11-2021, 03:00 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Personally, I like the autometer ultra lite gauges. I have a boost and wideband guage. I have them mounted on the a-pillar. I think it looks fine, not rice at all, but I like it for function and when you are driving WOT at 100+ I prefer my eyes not to stray very much to look at guages.........Also, I went speed density....I cannot tell any difference with the maf being gone...drives great
Old 01-11-2021, 03:06 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 721 Likes on 509 Posts

At that power level, I'd say you're going to want to go speed density.

I run that 2 gauge a-pillar pod with Prosport fuel pressure at the rail with an alarm and boost with alarm/recall. At that power level, or even much less, you're not going want to, or have time to, watch the gauges under WOT, so that's why I like the alarm and recall features.

I'm interested in also running a wideband gauge, but I just haven't got around to digging into that. Ideally, all 3 would be great, but I don't want to switch out to a 3 gauge pillar either. I'm considering replacing the fuel pressure gauge with the a/f gauge, but still leaving the pressure connected and just "hiding" it somewhere to keep the alarm.

If limited to 2, I've seen most people recommend a/f and boost.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:27 PM
RathsZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the replies all. This has been very helpful.

Keep em coming

Also forgot to mention. i have the HPTuner hardware and software and plan to do regular data pulls to check all the vitals from time to time. So I need the right gauges to keep me safe between those times. So definitely A/F, fuel pressure, and boost. I’m hoping to get some suggestions on some of the better single gauges that provides multiple data streams to cover two or all three of these in a user friendly manner
Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 PM
1BadLS6
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you checked out the Aeroforce Interceptor? I run a 2 pod on the pillar with an AEM wideband and the Aeroforce. The Aeroforce plugs into your OBD and can scan/display a ton of parameters if you choose. It can also scan and clear codes, data log for short periods, detect misfires, act as a shift light, as well as several other features. You can also attach up to 2 additional analog sensors. I have a secondary input for fuel pressure. An awesome feature is the ability to set up a warning light for 1 or 2 of the parameters you are scanning for. Set the threshold(s) and the red LEDs on top will flash if you hit them. I have mine to flash if any knock is detected or if fuel pressure drops.

Add me to the list of votes for speed density. It takes a little extra time to dial the VE table in but I think that adds to the fun and experience. You also don't have to worry about scaling your tune if you overrun the MAF.

If you do decide to ditch the MAF order a mafless charge pipe from A&A. That will make for a clean install with 2 less silicone connection points and less clamps. You'll have to break out your IAT from the MAF but the sensor and wiring harness are cheap and easy to install.

I also run a boost gauge mounted in the ashtray but rarely look at it.

Toys4life, a forum member, did a good review of the Aeroforce if you want to check it out here https://youtu.be/PTnlxysKwnQ

Last edited by 1BadLS6; 01-11-2021 at 10:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lewislgZ06 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 PM
TimbrSS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

If you took all the money spent on guages, pods wideband, 2step, etc, all that money would go a long ways to a holley terminator xmax with a neat little 3.5" screen to display all needed info. You wouldn't have to worry scaling injectors or any other limitations you need to work around with stock ecu.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 AM
RathsZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BadLS6
Have you checked out the Aeroforce Interceptor? I run a 2 pod on the pillar with an AEM wideband and the Aeroforce. The Aeroforce plugs into your OBD and can scan/display a ton of parameters if you choose. It can also scan and clear codes, data log for short periods, detect misfires, act as a shift light, as well as several other features. You can also attach up to 2 additional analog sensors. I have a secondary input for fuel pressure. An awesome feature is the ability to set up a warning light for 1 or 2 of the parameters you are scanning for. Set the threshold(s) and the red LEDs on top will flash if you hit them. I have mine to flash if any knock is detected or if fuel pressure drops.

Add me to the list of votes for speed density. It takes a little extra time to dial the VE table in but I think that adds to the fun and experience. You also don't have to worry about scaling your tune if you overrun the MAF.

If you do decide to ditch the MAF order a mafless charge pipe from A&A. That will make for a clean install with 2 less silicone connection points and less clamps. You'll have to break out your IAT from the MAF but the sensor and wiring harness are cheap and easy to install.

I also run a boost gauge mounted in the ashtray but rarely look at it.

Toys4life, a forum member, did a good review of the Aeroforce if you want to check it out here https://youtu.be/PTnlxysKwnQ

That's exactly what I was looking for, perfect! I am going to go with the PT401 model. One question, what fuel pressure sender did you use and how did you plumb it into your fuel system? Could you be specific on what adapters you had to get? Thank you so much.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:51 AM
1BadLS6
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought the sens026 (150 psi sensor) and sens010 (5v regulator) from Aeroforce. You can do without the 5v reg but I chose it so I didn't have to splice into any more wires on the car.

The sensor has a 1/8" male npt connector so depending on your setup you'll need a 1/8" female npt on one end going to whatever you attach to on the other end.

I have the A&A dual pump fuel system with external pressure regulator and it came with a connector on one of the I/O ports that I attached the pressure sensor to. If you don't have an external pressure reg you'll likely attach the sensor at the end of the fuel rail. That will take a -4an female with the 1/8" female npt on the other end for the sensor. You could do a straight connector or 90*. I would probably go 90* to get it off to the side.

I'll get some pics when I get home tonight of my setup.

Speaking of fuel, I'm no expert but everything I've read/been told is that you'll need more than the boost-a-pump for e85 and the power level you're going for. I'm also 100% e85. Two popular options are the A&A or ECS fuel systems or different systems that Brett (BLUEBLOWNZ06) can put together.
​​​​

Last edited by 1BadLS6; 01-12-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:54 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
You can put a 3rd guage in the ashtray spot like this

nice! and that's a slick way to get around stupid front plate bullcrap... or you're James Bond
Originally Posted by heggsc5
If limited to 2, I've seen most people recommend a/f and boost.
x2
i've got an Innovate MTX-L and Stewart-Warner 15psi/30inHg pressure gauge. some people say to run fuel pressure, but the A:F can be indicative of fuel issues.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,932 Posts

lewislgZ06 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 AM
KT35
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I got Innovative PSB-1 (wideband and boost) and fuel pressure gauge. I'm a pretty big fan.

Last edited by KT35; 01-27-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:38 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I was hoping it was a rear plate delete option.

Last edited by SmoothFRC; 01-24-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:44 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 721 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
It probably is lol. I got an IG ad the other day for a company that makes them. Either flips to a 2nd, made up license plate or has a curtain that pulls down over the license plate. Pretty wild...
SmoothFRC (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 963 Likes on 779 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
Nope, just for the front plate al-tho a rear plate would be easy
Old 01-27-2021, 04:51 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusc
diggin that!!! love that mounting nicely done
Tusc (01-27-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking suggestions for a-pillar gauges and general FI questions

Search this Thread