C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd pass on new setup. In car video.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Shame to see the motor go up like that. What kind of boost numbers were running to lift the heads ?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Shame to see the motor go up like that. What kind of boost numbers were running to lift the heads ?
boost alone does not lift heads.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Thanks, Cylinder pressure does. Was trying to get an idea of whether or not it was due to excessive boost pressure, poor or defective head gaskets or maybe head bolt problems.

Could even be bad block or head material. So many things can go wrong, but thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Cylinder pressure does. Was trying to get an idea of whether or not it was due to excessive boost pressure, poor or defective head gaskets or maybe head bolt problems.

Could even be bad block or head material. So many things can go wrong, but thanks.
usually tuning is first port of call. Very unlikely defective head gaskets.

Torquing of fasteners, perhaps, but that'd probably show up earlier.

Either way, rarely boost is at fault per-say
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Standard response, all of it. My 3 bar map pegged at 305kpa, my dome pressure showed 30plus psi.

As stated. All of it.

Actually...

Last edited by Smoove; 03-09-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Smoove
Standard response, all of it. My 3 bar map pegged at 305kpa, my dome pressure showed 30plus psi.

As stated. All of it.

Actually...
And if it had been tuned correctly to run that boost...no problem. If there had been a boost cut in place...no problem.

As said, boost alone is not the killer. Boost with other factors, absolutely can be a path to destruction.

Although obviously a case like this is an extreme and accidental scenario, although it also could have been easily avoided.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Yes, less boost.

I know what the logs look like, I know what the motor looks like.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:05 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

That sucks you popped it after working on the car for SO LONG...

Hopefully you get it patched up quick..
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
That sucks you popped it after working on the car for SO LONG...

Hopefully you get it patched up quick..
Thanks, sucks for sure.

1 block, 6 rods, 1 piston, 1 damaged head. Doing a "build" again, will be sometime. So I just purchased a 4.8 liter, going to cam it, gaskets, studs, and install. I may end up selling the vehicle after this as I'm kinda over it all. Tahoe is almost paid off, figure if I sell the vette and the tahoe I can get something new, and just be happy with it. We'll see tho, as I may be looking into a new career as well soon, which means new town, new place to live(want to buy my 1st house). So, more important things going on right now then to jump back into buying car stuff.

We'll see tho. Career wise, the future is bright....but, the cars future is unclear. 12 years,...think I am about ready for a divorce.
ajrothm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I know just how feel. It's a love hate relationship some days. You love it when all is working well and hate it when it breaks.

I've sold off all of the vettes for now. Looking to see what the future vettes will be. Lots of talk about a mid-engine version. Until then I'll be happy driving around in my CTS.

Sorry to see all that work go up in smoke. I've certainly enjoyed your threads over the years.

Thanks, sucks for sure.

1 block, 6 rods, 1 piston, 1 damaged head. Doing a "build" again, will be sometime. So I just purchased a 4.8 liter, going to cam it, gaskets, studs, and install. I may end up selling the vehicle after this as I'm kinda over it all. Tahoe is almost paid off, figure if I sell the vette and the tahoe I can get something new, and just be happy with it. We'll see tho, as I may be looking into a new career as well soon, which means new town, new place to live(want to buy my 1st house). So, more important things going on right now then to jump back into buying car stuff.

We'll see tho. Career wise, the future is bright....but, the cars future is unclear. 12 years,...think I am about ready for a divorce.
Smoove (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

I know just how feel. It's a love hate relationship some days. You love it when all is working well and hate it when it breaks.

I've sold off all of the vettes for now. Looking to see what the future vettes will be. Lots of talk about a mid-engine version. Until then I'll be happy driving around in my CTS.

Sorry to see all that work go up in smoke. I've certainly enjoyed your threads over the years.

Thanks for reading along over the years. It's been fun at times.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I feel you. sometimes I feel the same way.

I'd say just slap a junkyard iron block in there for cheap and set it at 700whp will be faster than anything you can buy new and you'll have your car back for <$1k and one weekend
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And don't kid yourself about selling everything and buying new to enjoy, if you are big into cars and mods you will never stop. Eventually you will mod the new car and break **** on it also as I've been though it a few times. I'd rather beat/race my old junk that is paid off, but the newest car I own is a 2002 LOL.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neverstop
I feel you. sometimes I feel the same way.

I'd say just slap a junkyard iron block in there for cheap and set it at 700whp will be faster than anything you can buy new and you'll have your car back for <$1k and one weekend

Word.

I ended up getting what I would call a good deal on a 4.8, now I have to buy new gaskets, and then a cam kit. I'll probably be into it for 12-1300 if I don't do anything else. I JUST came across some smooth race car belly pans for C5's, I bought them all, so I may end up dabbling in that a little in the down time. We'll see what happens after that. New job should be a much better thing for me so, ideally I will keep it, and buy a newer car....but, no longer worried about how I would feel if I sell it. I could go either direction.

I ALSO thought about buying some long tube headers and X pipe....and going road racing....keeping the twin turbo setup, for the half mile events. We'll see. Little all over the place right now, more interested in career change, and life than the car.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slow ride
And don't kid yourself about selling everything and buying new to enjoy, if you are big into cars and mods you will never stop. Eventually you will mod the new car and break **** on it also as I've been though it a few times. I'd rather beat/race my old junk that is paid off, but the newest car I own is a 2002 LOL.
I wouldn't leave anything stock really I don't think. I'm thinking like, ZR1, Z06, or GEN V Viper. Even the new Camaro, I have been looking at.

Or...just buy a new Tahoe....and enjoy the non car life for a bit.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

What shortblock was in the car? How bad is the head?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
What shortblock was in the car? How bad is the head?
LS2...and the TFS head is likely fixable. It isn't bad, just a little shrapnel in it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd pass on new setup. In car video.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

When I blew the **** out of mine near 10 years ago, TFS head, blew a hole right through it. TFS were able to repair it and been using it since.

It did come at a price though, but I really did **** both heads right up ! lol

If it is only isolated damage it shouldnt be too bad.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Thanks, sucks for sure.
I may end up selling the vehicle after this as I'm kinda over it all. Tahoe is almost paid off, figure if I sell the vette and the tahoe I can get something new, and just be happy with it.

the cars future is unclear. 12 years,...think I am about ready for a divorce.
I know exactly how you feel, I went through it as well several times with the C5Z... After 4 motors, 3 trannies and 3 diffs, I was DONE...Sold it all and bought a new one to drive stock and reliably.

Originally Posted by slow ride
THIS ^^^

I'm already thinking about modding my new stock one after only 2500 miles. However I have my head on right this time and will be doing only bolt ons, no cam or any of that other **** that compromises how nice it drives or a big impact on gas mileage....(<--- Yes, I said it. )

As you get older, your responsiblity changes, your desires change etc..

I still love racing, and love decent power, but tired of having a broken car all the time and sinking a fortune in it.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

When I blew the **** out of mine near 10 years ago, TFS head, blew a hole right through it. TFS were able to repair it and been using it since.

It did come at a price though, but I really did **** both heads right up ! lol

If it is only isolated damage it shouldnt be too bad.
I lucked out. Almost 4k in heads,...I got lucky for sure. just one cylinder, which really isn't that bad. I have seen much worse over the years.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I know exactly how you feel, I went through it as well several times with the C5Z... After 4 motors, 3 trannies and 3 diffs, I was DONE...Sold it all and bought a new one to drive stock and reliably.

THIS ^^^

I'm already thinking about modding my new stock one after only 2500 miles. However I have my head on right this time and will be doing only bolt ons, no cam or any of that other **** that compromises how nice it drives or a big impact on gas mileage....(<--- Yes, I said it. )

As you get older, your responsiblity changes, your desires change etc..

I still love racing, and love decent power, but tired of having a broken car all the time and sinking a fortune in it.

Yep same here. This will be 4th engine. Just tired of being a slave to the car. I don't do too badly for a living but, with this thing, its just a money pit, and unreliable at the moment. It's basically like a race car now with the setup thats in it, clutch wise, and all the other jazz. I take women out, they love it or hate it....and even the ones that love it, love it for 5 minutes then, hate it lol. I like to take them out, the tahoe is "meh" boring and not really "me"... so I kinda want to get back into less of a race car, and more of a fun, daily driven street car. No cam shaft, no crazy this or that... just a fun, near stock, or stock car.

I'm going back to Cadillac beginning of the month, which should be a big bump for me so, maybe I can swing keeping it, and getting something new after the house purchase,...or again, just sell it to a 25 year old(i'm 38) and let them be a kid again. I just don't have much love for the physical or money aspect of it anymore. I'd rather have a car payment.....and a warranty.

No matter what, I will always race. 1/4-1/2 or roadrace whatever I own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd pass on new setup. In car video.