C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:36 AM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Intake question

So I have an ls6 intake and a zr1 map sensor. I would like to be able to install the map sensor to the back of the intake like the stock one. Does anyone have info on what intake I can swap to make this a bolt in item?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

just drill out the map hole on the ls6 intake so the zr1 map will fit, you will also have to grind off the side of the zr1 map so the tab on the ls6 intake will hold it... you can also run a bead of clear silicone around it just for peace of mind
Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I will have to drill it out. Was hoping an intake like the fast 102 would work.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I would not want a fast intake with enough boost to need a 3bar map
Old 03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I drilled out my OEM LS2 intake manifold for a ZR1 map, super easy. The other alternative is to tap the hole with a 1/4 NPT tap, then install a 1/4 NPT to 1/4" barb fitting with a 1/4" vacuum hose to the nipple on the map and zip tie the map to the wire harness.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-13-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neutron82
I would not want a fast intake with enough boost to need a 3bar map
Lol well something like a fast intake.

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
I drilled out my OEM LS2 intake manifold for a ZR1 map, super easy. The other alternative is to tap the hole with a 1/4 NPT tap, then install a 1/4 NPT to 1/4" barb fitting with a 1/4" vacuum hose to the nipple on the map and zip tie the map to the wire harness.
yeah this is basically how I have it right now. But don’t like it.

Idealy it it would be an intake that’s better than stock. Fits a zr1 map sensor, has support for good throttle body’s, and fits under the stock hood.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

how much power are you trying to make?... ls6 is fine in most cases and a lot stronger than the fast
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by evileight
Ideally it it would be an intake that’s better than stock. Fits a zr1 map sensor, has support for good throttle body’s, and fits under the stock hood.
You’re asking a lot. While the fast may flow better it has a reputation for failing under heavy boost, I have no firsthand experience with the fast so I’ll leave it at that. The LS6 manifolds have been proven to flow well enough to make it up towards 4 digits, if not over. Your requirement that it must fit under the stock hood limits you to the LS OEM manifolds, FAST, BTR or something like G1Pro, Plasmamann or Shauns Custom Alloy. I don’t know of any other manifolds that fit under the oem hood.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-13-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neutron82
how much power are you trying to make?... ls6 is fine in most cases and a lot stronger than the fast
800 right now with dreams of 1xxx

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
You’re asking a lot. While the fast may flow better it has a reputation for failing under heavy boost, I have no firsthand experience with the fast so I’ll leave it at that. The LS6 manifolds have been proven to flow well enough to make it up towards 4 digits, if not over. Your requirement that it must fit under the stock hood limits you to the LS OEM manifolds, FAST, BTR or something like G1Pro, Plasmamann or Shauns Custom Alloy. I don’t know of any other manifolds that fit under the oem hood.
Im mainly looking for the new intake because of the map sensor. I didn’t want to drill it out because I’m not a fan of the map retention clips. Would rather have the bolt holding it in. Also from what I have seen shopping around throttle body’s for the three bolt are slim pickings.
what stock manifolds will work with cathedral heads and the zr1 map? I’m not looking for this new intake just to make more power.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the ls2 is your only stock cathedral option that will accept a 4 bolt tb but you're stuck with the same problem with the map sensor lol... my ls6 intake is drilled out with a zr1 map and holds just fine, I really don't think you should have any issues doing it that way and for 800 I don't see a reason to change intakes... I'm sure you could fab up some kind of bracket to hold it but you would probably have to take the intake off in order to get the map out if you needed to for whatever reason
Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by evileight
Im mainly looking for the new intake because of the map sensor. I didn’t want to drill it out because I’m not a fan of the map retention clips. Would rather have the bolt holding it in. Also from what I have seen shopping around throttle body’s for the three bolt are slim pickings.
what stock manifolds will work with cathedral heads and the zr1 map? I’m not looking for this new intake just to make more power.
Stock LS2 is the closest you will get and it does not utilize the MAP bolt, still uses a clip. For whatever reason the clip on my LS2 manifold has held up to repeated install/removal where my LS6 manifold clip snapped the first time I installed a sensor. I drilled the hole out a bit, greased up the oring and popped it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake question

Quick Reply: Intake question