C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM
all4spl
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lower oil pressure

so I have the high pressure melling pump and typically at idle, it's 40-65 well I was doing a good pull on the car and couple minutes after, I notice that my factory oil pressure gauge reads 20 at idle. So I limp it home and check the oil. Oil is dark but still at a good level. I replace the pressure sensor with ac delco and it didn't work at all. Read 0. So I replaced it again with a local auto parts store and it reads 2 at idle. I hooked a mechanical gauge in line with the vortech which taps at the block from the fitting on side of block near oil pump. It reads 40 at idle. So I drain the oil and cut the filter. I didn't look at it as I'm color blind and really don't know what to look for so my tuner looks at it and says there are a few shavings on the filter itself. I looked at the drain plug and it looks like this. My tuner said looks like a piece of thread or something. I said well the oil drain plug never threaded in easily as it felt partially stripped but this plug threads in fine now. So could be part of the drain plug. I'm at a loss as it doesn't read 0 but is about half of normal I drove it to parts store to check it out and at 4500, oil pressure read 35 on the dash which is still lower than mechanical. I was thinking about refilling with new oil and new filter but what do you guys think?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM
all4spl
Pro

Also there are no abnormal ticks or knock or anything weird. Motor sounds completely fine and I can only hear the injectors ticking.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Those shavings appear quite large, but I'm not concerned as much with ferrous material as I am non-ferrous (bearing material).
When looking at material in your filter, take a small magnet and and see if any of the material in the filter media responds to it.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:39 PM
all4spl
Pro

cut the filter and there were a few shavings but not a lot. i already threw it away or id check with magnet. i did an oil change just for the hell of it and 30psi at idle
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Well I'll throw my .02 in. Base line oil pressure. If it changes all of a sudden USUALLY it's a motor/bearing issue. But other possibilities are stuck bypass on the oil pump, or the pickup tube O-ring. I've seen a few of both on various cars. The filter is normally the best indicator of engine damage, but since you found it a good idea to throw it away not any real evidence to look at. And the sending unit thing bothers me. If you messed up any of the wires or the plug maybe, but I dought you got two bad sensors IMO. I'd look around at the wiring check voltage and make sure its all working if not, then get it working again and then move to the OP if its still reading abnormal pressure. GL!

Get notified of new replies

To Lower oil pressure

Quick Reply: Lower oil pressure