C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock fuel pump or Racetronix with N20?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:27 AM
JD White
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Stock fuel pump or Racetronix with N20?

I'm in the process of building up my '02Z. Currently waiting for a custom cam to be ground and will be sending my stock heads out for porting by AI. Car should make 450+whp.

I've been considering adding nitrous for minimal use. I like the Nitrous Outlet wet plate system for my 92mm FAST and their accessory goodies. My original thought was a 100 shot max but after researching it appears a 150 shot is still rather safe - at least on the unmodified stock engine it is. I've read around this forum and the internet machine that the stock fuel pump can handle ~600whp; plenty of confirmed dyno pulls in excess of 550whp anyways. Is this reliable?

If I stuck with a 100 shot, it seems like the stock pump would be fine. If I attempt 150, the stock pump will be at the limit and just not safe. The Racetronix RXP255J kit says 600whp on early rail regulated fuel systems and an unspecified amount less on the returnless system in my car.

I haven't seen a distinct reason to choose the Racetronix pump over the stock one if it supports roughly the same power level. By design, the Racetronix is most likely more durable near it's limit, but for how infrequently I would use the nitrous, it may be unnecessary. That said, I see they also offer an RXP340J kit that would be overkill but leave no questions.

What say you? What's worked, what hasn't?

Oh, and just to sneak in a , NGK BR7EF seems to be the plug of choice. How much of an N/A hit should I expect on that plug?

Thanks

Last edited by JD White; 05-06-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:13 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The fuel supply system is one area where a certain amount of overkill is a good thing.
for safety margin. If you lean out on spray, **** goes south in a big hurry. You might get away with a stock pump w a boost a pump and improved wiring harness- but again, if you dont you will wish you had.
I think Racetronix is being fairly conservative with the HP rating. Comparing flow is more significant.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 AM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
The fuel supply system is one area where a certain amount of overkill is a good thing.
for safety margin. If you lean out on spray, **** goes south in a big hurry. You might get away with a stock pump w a boost a pump and improved wiring harness- but again, if you dont you will wish you had.
I think Racetronix is being fairly conservative with the HP rating. Comparing flow is more significant.
I haven't found flow numbers for the stock pump so I haven't been able to compare that way. HP capacity is proportional to flow anyways. I agree a margin is desired, that's why I'm asking. Do you know the stock flow?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:13 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Build the fuel system bigger than you need. When I was going to spray my (then) HCI z06, I purchased a stand alone fuel system for c16. In your case, do that, or can you run a 255 in-tank with a booster activated by the arming switch?

Last edited by nullpointer; 05-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:23 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Build the fuel system bigger than you need. When I was going to spray my (then) HCI z06, I purchased a stand alone fuel system for c16. In your case, do that, or can you run a 255 in-tank with a booster activated by the arming switch?
Stand alone is major overkill for my goals. After burning my morning digging up more info on this I'm just going to stick to a 100 shot max w/the Racetronix 255 kit. 600whp is too much on the stock bottom end.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:55 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD White
600whp is too much on the stock bottom end.
pfft

Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 PM
JD White
Racer

How long did that last?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:03 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Still going strong, 4th summer of beating on it. Just finished the suspension/tire setup, hitting the 1/4 once the rain stops.

Last edited by nullpointer; 05-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 PM
JD White
Racer

Hmmm, awesome. What fuel setup and power adder?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:09 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Novi 1500, AI worked 243, Tick cam, Alky Meth
ECS stage 1 fuel system, Holly Rails

Do you plan on using a progressive controller with the nitrous? Should be easier on the motor than a instant 100 hit.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:20 PM
JD White
Racer

Good deal, nice to know it can hold together for that output.

I haven't looked into progressive controllers yet. Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

I was going to use this one: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...ontroller.html

But I never finished the kit. I'm not sure if its still true, but IIRC if you have older solenoids they might not work for long. I would just call Nitrous Outlet / or <insert nitrous company here > and talk to them. You do not *need* a progressive controller for 100 shot, but it would help with traction.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:00 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

We use this controller in my buddies NOS car. I use the boost leash controller on my turbo car. Super easy to install, use, and tech support it a phone call away.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:40 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I was going to use this one: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...ontroller.html

But I never finished the kit. I'm not sure if its still true, but IIRC if you have older solenoids they might not work for long. I would just call Nitrous Outlet / or <insert nitrous company here > and talk to them. You do not *need* a progressive controller for 100 shot, but it would help with traction.
That's a slick compact setup. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by junk c5
[

We use this controller in my buddies NOS car. I use the boost leash controller on my turbo car. Super easy to install, use, and tech support it a phone call away.
Their single stage controller looks like a simple solution as well though doesn't appear to be mounting friendly for a full interior car...maybe the glove box.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JD White
Their single stage controller looks like a simple solution as well though doesn't appear to be mounting friendly for a full interior car...maybe the glove box.
I've got my boost leash in the glove box to keep the sleeper streetcar look going. We've had great success taming down both of our cars with the ramp rate feature. My buddy with his NOS combo comes out at 20% and I ramp in the boost around 30%
Old 05-07-2017, 05:10 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

no idea if the z06 pump is different, but i replaced the stock pump on my 99 with the lingenfelter pump (l710650197) without seeing any difference. a racertonix harness that i modified with a 6 mm2 ground going to the battery was also no impovement. im running out of fuel with around 500 rwhp on the "60 lbs" injectors.

on a boost referenced system the pump should be worth even less.

edit:my understanding is the lingenfelter and facetronix are both walbro "255lph" pumps, flowing around 225lph @ 4bar.

Last edited by romandian; 05-07-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock fuel pump or Racetronix with N20?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:57 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the stocker is ~190
But that really depends on the voltage supplied. If you run a boost-a pump, the added voltage effectively overdrives it. Some say its detrimental to pump life. While I agree there is a limit at some point of how much increase you can get away with, I have run a tock pump /BAP and custom WH full time for >4 years. %34 RWHP and holds 60 # at 10# boost. But Im planning a 450 pump and return sytem before I go any further.

Regarding N2O controllers, I had solenoid problems withthe NOS system and kit years ago but they definitely help with traction, esp on the street
Old 05-07-2017, 02:10 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by romandian
no idea if the z06 pump is different, but i replaced the stock pump on my 99 with the lingenfelter pump (l710650197) without seeing any difference. a racertonix harness that i modified with a 6 mm2 ground going to the battery was also no impovement. im running out of fuel with around 500 rwhp on the "60 lbs" injectors.

on a boost referenced system the pump should be worth even less.

edit:my understanding is the lingenfelter and facetronix are both walbro "255lph" pumps, flowing around 225lph @ 4bar.

You're running out at 500whp, others claim over 550 without issue (and no mention of using a BAP). I found the same info, both are the Walbro flowing 225@4bar.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:13 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
I think the stocker is ~190
But that really depends on the voltage supplied. If you run a boost-a pump, the added voltage effectively overdrives it. Some say its detrimental to pump life. While I agree there is a limit at some point of how much increase you can get away with, I have run a tock pump /BAP and custom WH full time for >4 years. %34 RWHP and holds 60 # at 10# boost. But Im planning a 450 pump and return sytem before I go any further.

Regarding N2O controllers, I had solenoid problems withthe NOS system and kit years ago but they definitely help with traction, esp on the street
I agree, there's a limit but basically everyone seems to have long-term success doing it. This is sounding more and more like a Racetronix kit for me, slowly step up the N2O/fuel jeetting to see if the pump is limited, and add a BAP if necessary.

Quick Reply: Stock fuel pump or Racetronix with N20?