C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 AM
B20forlife
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitrous newbie questions

Hi everyone. So I read a couple threads and I have some questions. I'm looking to buy my first nitrous kit. I'm looking to do a 100 shot. Current mods are 98 c5 with long tubes and a cheap twin air intake. Car is an automatic and ecs mail order tune. Now I live in a remote area with nO tuners around. Can I run a 100 shot safely without a tune? Also I want a plate kit and will add a window switch. What kits do you guys recommend? I'm looking to spend $500-$650 for the kit plus the window switch. I looked at zex, dyno tune, nitrous outlet and express. Just can't decide. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Rule number 1 with nitro/supercharger/turbo NEVER RUN WITHOUT PROPER INSTALL AND TUNE lol Also start of at 50 shot to see how your engine responds. Nitro is cheap, yes, but it is the MOST destructive power added you can do to a car. Like any other boost added to any car, I suggest forged internals, with pistons designed for nitro. Never cut corners with this ****, or it will cut out your engine and leave you without one. Since you say there aren't any tuners around, I suggest you find one closest to you and one that makes you feel good, and go to them to do the install and tune all at once. I have many of friends how have lost their engines or their whole car to nitro.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM
mcshocks
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a timing retard box (lingenfelter for your Year car) to pull timing, run a colder non projected tip plug, and get a wideband and you'll be fine. As long as your NA tune is in check you'll have zero issues. You need to pull some timing, and if your using a wet kit your fueling gets dialed in with your fuel jets on the plate (too rich go to a smaller jet on the fuel, too lean and you use a larger jet on the fuel). Same rule of thumb applies to any size shot, larger the shot the colder the plug and the more timing you need to pull, reading your spark plugs will tell you what you need.

Last edited by mcshocks; 03-28-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The nitrous fear mongering is fierce in here ehh? "Most destructive force!@!@ NEED forged stuff!@!@!@"...Mother of god

Nitrous is just like any other power adder. Be smart or you're gonna learn. I've seen just as many melted LSx's from supercharging and turbocharging as nitrous.

I have a heads/cam z06 that makes 620/600 on a Nitrous Outlet 150 plate kit. Stock internals been hanging in there for a while.

Lingenfelter LNC-2000(take out 6* of timing)
NOS Mini controller(window is 3000-6800)
BR7EF plugs
MS109 fuel

I've never touched the tune.This is my set up...every car is different, just giving you an idea of what works(its a common set up). Research your *** off, use a widband and read the plugs. Your LS will live a long, happy life on a 100 shot
Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Nitrous Express & Snow Performance
Supporting Vendor

Nitrous Express & Snow Performance's Avatar

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Let me know if I can help you out.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Originally Posted by Cheesecake 07
The nitrous fear mongering is fierce in here ehh? "Most destructive force!@!@ NEED forged stuff!@!@!@"...Mother of god

Nitrous is just like any other power adder. Be smart or you're gonna learn. I've seen just as many melted LSx's from supercharging and turbocharging as nitrous.

I have a heads/cam z06 that makes 620/600 on a Nitrous Outlet 150 plate kit. Stock internals been hanging in there for a while.

Lingenfelter LNC-2000(take out 6* of timing)
NOS Mini controller(window is 3000-6800)
BR7EF plugs
MS109 fuel

I've never touched the tune.This is my set up...every car is different, just giving you an idea of what works(its a common set up). Research your *** off, use a widband and read the plugs. Your LS will live a long, happy life on a 100 shot
"It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once" - Mark Twain so yeah sure I may be crazy, but my engine will be here long after yours
Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM
0NitrousOutlet
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Nitrous systems are nowhere near as bad as what some people say- as long as you do it properly (as with any other power adder) you should have no issues. Can you tell me about your car and what your goals with it are? We have vehicle specific systems that not only look great, but also perform great. We offer them for the stock C5 intake, as well as the FAST 102, MSD Atomic AirForce and others. As far as the tuning aspect goes, the Lingenfelter LNC-2000 is a great tool for those that don't have access to a tuner or for those that want to run multiple tunes. It is designed to plug into your coil harness connectors and will only retard the timing when the nitrous system is activated, so you wouldn't have to run separate tunes for motor and nitrous. The LNC-2000 is also a 2-step launch control. As far as cost goes, the LNC-2000 will cost you less than another tune (they are about $275+shipping). Another thing that you'd want to do is change the plugs. The extra heat that nitrous makes in the cylinder can be destructive to certain types and heat ranges of plugs. For most LS powered vehicles, the NGK BR7EF is the way to go on shots up to around 200HP (if the engine has stock heads and compression). THE BR7EF is a non-projected tip, copper core plug that is great as dissipating the extra heat. Let us know if you have any nitrous questions and we will do all we can to help you out! Also, if you need any nitrous systems or accessories we carry just about everything you would need from the system to the system accessories, timing controllers, spark plugs, and more!

-Andy

Last edited by NitrousOutlet; 03-31-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The Dunning-Kruger effect is strong in this thread
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Originally Posted by NosLaser
The Dunning-Kruger effect is strong in this thread
Not that at all lol, Just my knowledge from years of building and modifying cars. I am a tad skeptical of nitrous from what happen with my uncle, though. But not biased with illusions of superiority
Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Awesome04Vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spray on my 04. 150 shot. got my wet kit and all accessories from Nitrous Outlet. I have spoke to them several times while ordering and install. They are the only company I will work with simply because of the amazing customer service they have provided me! You do not have to have built internals for a 100 shot or even a 150 if you are tuned properly. I also have the Lingelter box as well. That is a must buy!

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrous newbie questions

Quick Reply: Nitrous newbie questions