C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A flip drive squeal

Old 05-13-2017, 05:27 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default A&A flip drive squeal

If my car is cold and sits for a day the flip drive squeals for about a minute or two when I start the car. After that it's fine. No squeal on start once it's warm. Normal or should I check the tensioners / belts?

This is the new 4 belt setup too btw.

Last edited by ysb02; 05-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I'd check the condition of the belts and the alignment but a squeal/chirp on a cold start isn't that odd.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to agree. Check the belts. My A&A I just sold never did that but my Dallas Performance Direct Drive did on my C6. Same issues as you're having until it chunked the belt Power Steering belt, which broke the blower belt when letting go.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM
ysb02
Drifting

I haven't laser aligned the setup since a shop did the install but the belts look fine. It's done this since it was first fired up.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

I'd check it with a laser and check all pulleys for play.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

what happens if you use some belt conditioner? will the belt slip more? i cleaned the belt with acetone and it started chirping when cold. maybe chirping is good and the belt sticks better?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by romandian
what happens if you use some belt conditioner? will the belt slip more? i cleaned the belt with acetone and it started chirping when cold. maybe chirping is good and the belt sticks better?
Belt conditioner is not made for EPDM belts, it was designed to be used with older neoprene belts. Spraying that on EPDM belts may help temporarily but they will become extremely tacky and possibly even more noisy once the conditioner dries off.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to watch the belts and see if I can figure out which one is squealing. It's difficult since the car has to be completely cold for it to do it. I'll probably do a laser alignment later this summer since I hardly drive it.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone resolved this issue? I have had the same problem since having kit installed. On cold starts the belt squeals for like 2 to 3 min. I replaced the tensioner replaced the accessory belt to shorter one. Talking with A@A I'm going to try and tighten jackshaft belt that goes to crank. Any other ideas put them out there.
Thanks john
Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Mine did this randomly yesterday when I moved it in the garage and ran the car for like 2 mins. Several hours later I fired it up and nothing.

I think he made the same thread in the C6 section and it got more replies. Some guys chimed in and had similar issues but you're probably have to go thru the process of elimination. I think a few of the guys, the jackshaft 4 rib belt was slipping when someone on the accessory belt was causing a drag-- PS or the alt.

My squeal seemed to be linked to turning the wheel in some way, so either the 6 rib accessory belt or the 4 rib jackshaft... but it sounded like it was coming from passenger side, so who knows.

Since that jackshaft bolt is a manual tensioner, its probably a good idea to snug it down again now that the belt has broken in some. That something I am going to look into down the line.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Just a little update, went out and tried again after the car had sat ~24 hours. It only squeals when the wheel is at full lock and i hold it there. From what I understand that makes the power steering pressure really spike and would make sense that extra load = belt slipping. I don't know if it's the 6 rib acc belt or the 4 rib jackshaft, but I would guess the jackshaft and now after X hours of driving on it, needs to be manually tightened a bit more.

I think AA used to include a slightly longer acc belt, make sure you got the new shorter one. I do not know the length/part number off hand.

edit: sounds like you addressed the acc belt.... I think AA advice is spot on and the next logical move for you and probably for me as well.

Last edited by aaronc7; 03-21-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
dopefedz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have been dealing with the random squeal too. I have the newest version secondary drive purchased late 2017. Setup probably has about 3k miles on it since install. First call to a&a was advised they now ship with a 1/2" shorter 6 rib belt so i replaced it with same results.

I started looking everything over and noticed the manual tensioner could barely be tensioned because the pulley on it would touch the IW balancer. I called and questioned this and was told to try and remove the waser behind the pulley. Still doesnt clear the balancer.

I then started to think it was my power steering pump going out so i replaced it and still had the same issue. Last time i was looking everything over i started to notice ps fluid leaking where the new supplied hose is crimped so i ordered a new hose and took it upon myself to install a shorter 4 rib belt and another new 6 rib belt. I ordered gatorback belts this time hoping it would help the cause. The noise was gone for a couple hundred miles but has now started to squeal randomly again.

The one thing i have noticed when it squeals is if i turn the wheel it gets louder which makes it sound like its ps pump related but mine is new and also when it squeals it causes my voltage to drop down to 12volts from 14.

Not sure what else to try at this point. No onlys is the squeal annoying and kind embarassing when you are at a meet or show but causing my voltage to drop im beginning to suspect might be the cause of some fueling issues i been trying to resolve which ia probably impacting my dual pumps.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 PM
ysb02
Drifting

I saw a post on fb using a slightly shorter crank to jack shaft belt and it fixed the issue. There’s not a lot of tension you can put on that belt with the tensioner. If you’re getting acc belt slippage it should register as a drop in voltage too
Old 03-31-2019, 01:24 AM
dopefedz
Racer

Not sure if its too early to state that my issue is fully resolved but two days ago I pulled another thin washer that I had over looked behind the spacer on the idler pulley on the manual tensioner. this gave me just enough room to clear the balancer and tension the 4 rib belt a little extra. Have put about 100 miles on it since then and so far no more squealing.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue, turns out it was the extra 4 rib belt not seating properly on the manual tensioner pulley. It was riding the outer edge of the pulley and cutting into the outer rib of the belt, got pretty destroyed actually, so I added some washers to that tensioner pulley so the belt rides evenly, right in the middle...no issues since
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 AM
dopefedz
Racer

so far so good with the additional tensioner adjustment. no squeals yet!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:51 AM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z0stix
I had the same issue, turns out it was the extra 4 rib belt not seating properly on the manual tensioner pulley. It was riding the outer edge of the pulley and cutting into the outer rib of the belt, got pretty destroyed actually, so I added some washers to that tensioner pulley so the belt rides evenly, right in the middle...no issues since
Mine also rides the outer edge but still fully on the pulley. Belt looks good but worth a shot.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:02 PM
dopefedz
Racer

Mine has been silent as a mouse ever since I was able to finally put some tension on it.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A flip drive squeal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A&A flip drive squeal