C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in new motor - disconnect turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Breaking in new motor - disconnect turbos?

CF: Welcome back, Vette-Dream!
Me: Thanks!

Been a while, I put about 60k miles on my stock motor after installed my turbos. Good times!

Long story short, I've got a new motor installed. I've put about 5 miles on it so far, just getting the idle tuned in with HPtuners so far. Before I run it through the 500 mile break in (without boost) I am told I should disconnect the turbos so I don't get metal from the break in going back and ruining the turbo bearings.

How exactly?

Is it just like it sounds, remove the turbos from the car completely. Dump the exhaust directly out? Connect the oil line going to the turbo directly to the return line with some fitting?

I have the STS rear mount kit, so access is a breeze. But I'm just wondering what all would be involved with the process, if anyone has done it before.

Thanks, and it's good to be back!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Depending on where you get your oil from it could have gone through the filter already. If that oil is good enough for your engine bearings I wouldn't worry about the turbos.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

I believe the turbos are fed after the oil filter. Maybe I'll hedge my bets and just do an oil change after 100 miles and then again at 500 just in case.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-Dream
I believe the turbos are fed after the oil filter. Maybe I'll hedge my bets and just do an oil change after 100 miles and then again at 500 just in case.
This is what I've always done. I've had 3-4 turbo builds with fresh motors and I've never disconnected the turbo for break in. Break in oil until initial oil change and filter analysis at 50 miles. More break in oil until second oil change at 500 miles and another oil filter analysis.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had several engines built over the years for racing and have (25+ lbs)blower. On every engine we used break in oil for two heat cycles...about 1/2 hour each, then drained oil and checked filter. After that we put proper zinc enriched oil in engine and put it on dyno and tuned it ...but we added boost slowly. After about the fifth pull if all is good (A/F, oil pressure, etc) we put coals to it.....no 500 mile slow driving. Never had one not work or come back on us. Average engine was over 1000 rwhp, and street driven and track run. Usually get about 20k b4 I refresh.......I find it interesting a lot of people do the 500 mile thing with zip boost......but in the end its what you feel comfortable with and your engine builder tells you.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Depending on where you get your oil from it could have gone through the filter already. If that oil is good enough for your engine bearings I wouldn't worry about the turbos.
+1.

And the 500 mile thing is just what companies tell you. Shoot, LME here in Houston takes them strait to their engine dyno.

I'd get good heat cycles on it. Let the rings sit. I'd rather put 100 miles on a new motor with lots of heat cycles than 500 of just cruising.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Thanks, really appreciate the responses. I really didn't want to have to tear things off if I didn't have to.

I've put about 200 miles on it and changed the oil, using a heavy break in oil both times. At 500 I'll switch to a lighter oil and let it roll.

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking in new motor - disconnect turbos?

Quick Reply: Breaking in new motor - disconnect turbos?