C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I install my catchcan right

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:47 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default I think I install my catchcan right

I got a pcv MM catch can and just got around to hooked it up. I have a 2003 ls6 with ysi which previously have a tube running from the valley barb to the passenger intake barb (with a check valve). I ran the small line on the catch can to the intake barb and just capped the valley barb for now. David said I should run a line from the valley barb to either the air filter or sep breather. What do you guys think is better?

Old 06-16-2017, 01:37 PM
TimbrSS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I like a separate 3/8" mini filter just to eliminate any chance of oil spray into s/c, 1 less long line in engine bay, and also less to deal with if you wanted pull main air filter at track.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM
ysb02
Drifting

I ended up using the existing 5/8" line that ran from the filler top to the airbox. I used a reducer to hook it into the 3/8" line going to the valley. It looks like a mess.

I share the same concern about oil reaching the blower intake. I'm going to look for a breather this weekend and redo it.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

if you do not give the engine a place to receive clean fresh air for the pcv system to use, the crankcase may draw into an unnecessarily deep vacuum and cause trouble in several forms. all of my instructions are on purpose and important to operation. please follow them.

further.. centri-supercharged air filters serve a much higher duty than positive displacement or even turbo applications, as there is always much more air flowing through them (and dirtying them) during idle and normal driving.
it is much more critical to oil control that this be paid attention to, as a dirty / clogged filter can cause unusual suction and unnecessary oil consumption.
to further complicate the issue most s/c setups do not have the proper size air filter for the hp level, which also increases this suction.

i suggest customers (my PCV can / Wild kit customers only) worrying about this, wait until the see the problem first, and then (if it exists, and you cannot fix with a better air filter situation) you can install a check here so no air can leave toward the s/c filter.

this option is completely specific to my systems, no one do this or consider it unless you have one, or you can damage your engine.

any time there is an install question, before 'just giving it a shot' that may be damaging, please reach out to me on email, facebook, here, or my website.
The following 2 users liked this post by David@MMS:
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance (06-26-2017), JBPerformanceMotors (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Thanks for the help after the sale David! I'll post pictures of the breather I have on the valley barb this weekend.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM
BmoreRnsDeep
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Can an NA setup benefit from the wild can? I currently run a clean side separator on the oil fill and a closed can between the pvc system.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BmoreRnsDeep
Can an NA setup benefit from the wild can? I currently run a clean side separator on the oil fill and a closed can between the pvc system.
if you were having oil leave the clean side (before or after using clean side separator) then crank flow is high enough that IMO it should be stabilized before building any harmful pressure. (and look into a system for that, such as my 'wild's)
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 06-23-2017, 04:55 PM
0JBPerformanceMotors
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on using Mighty Mouse catch cans. Thats all we use here at the shop from bolt-on cars to 1000rwhp race cars.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (06-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To I think I install my catchcan right

Quick Reply: I think I install my catchcan right