C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost & Timing Cover Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Boost & Timing Cover Seal

Hello,

I need to replace my timing cover seal. I only want to do the job once and plan to use a Felpro vs OEM. My main concern is why it happened in the first place. I understand it can not be aligned correctly, which can cause the problem, so I will make sure this is not the issue. However if alighted correctly, does boost (stock block A&A system 9-10psi) possibly play a role in this problem or is it unrelated?

I have read about crank case pressure being to high as a problem, but am unsure if a timing cover seal/gasket issue is related.

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I used the Sac city tool to align it when I did mine. I used all GM parts
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds good. I have read about that. Is it possible that boost is related to the issue?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
Sounds good. I have read about that. Is it possible that boost is related to the issue?
Good question. TTT
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, too much crankcase pressure under boost from blowby can blow out seals, usually the font or rear mains. Look into a catch can or a setup a way to allow better crankcase ventilation under boost.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5Natie:
David@MMS (06-20-2017), Smoken1 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

happy to help if you need an honest review of the crankcase ventilation system.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by David@MMS
happy to help if you need an honest review of the crankcase ventilation system.
^^Listen to this guy
Mighty Mouse catch cans are some of the best on the market. Very cool videos on youtube as well where David tests his catch cans and explains how they work.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Buy a oil cap breather like I did, you need to vent that crankcase pressure under boost. I used a breather cap. helps relieve the pressure. Also make sure you have a check valve between your oil seperator or catchcan between the intake.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MBR0003
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Buy a oil cap breather like I did, you need to vent that crankcase pressure under boost. I used a breather cap. helps relieve the pressure. Also make sure you have a check valve between your oil seperator or catchcan between the intake.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MBR0003

'Open' breathers like this will allow un-metered air into the crankcase, and require the tune be corrected in most MAF tuned configurations.
While doing a great job at stabilizing pressure, due to the lack of any baffling internally they will also wet with oil and eventually leak oil external to the engine bay.

I have a one-way pressure release breather that does not allow un-metered air. It also has internal baffling and is one of the higher flowing units available in general. (I rate at 1000hp)
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ll-an-adapters

This same design is built into the top of my catch cans, so you get the pressure control, and the oil control, in one unit, without upsetting the PCV system. On my PCV can (standard in the 'WILD' kits), there is no need for a boost protecting check valve. Everything is built-in and tested over 100psi.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 06-22-2017, 09:42 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

If you're blowing out the front seal, I would expect that to not be a result of excess crankcase pressure. Why? When you accelerate, the oil runs toward the rear of the engine and your problem (if it exists) will be greatest when in boost.
As far as alignment goes, unless the SAC city tool is able to fully zero out any space between that crank and the hard edge of the seal, there is no way to properly align it without dropping the oil pan. You only need to lower the pan enough to where it places no upward pressure upon the timing cover. You can set the new cover on the engine with loose bolts, install your balancer so that it naturally centers the cover. Verify bottom side alignment, along the bottom of the block, where the cover meets the block so that both sides are even and flat. If it's not, it will require a rotational adjustment of the cover. Once it's proper in every way, begin to tighten all the bolts hand tight and then to 18ft lbs. Clean the bottom surface of the cover with lacquer thinner or acetone and then apply some RTV along the joint between the cover and block and tighten all of those bolts to 18ft lbs except for the two skinny, long rears which get torqued to 106in lbs.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:44 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

'Open' breathers like this will allow un-metered air into the crankcase, and require the tune be corrected in most MAF tuned configurations.
While doing a great job at stabilizing pressure, due to the lack of any baffling internally they will also wet with oil and eventually leak oil external to the engine bay.

I have a one-way pressure release breather that does not allow un-metered air. It also has internal baffling and is one of the higher flowing units available in general. (I rate at 1000hp)
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ll-an-adapters

This same design is built into the top of my catch cans, so you get the pressure control, and the oil control, in one unit, without upsetting the PCV system. On my PCV can (standard in the 'WILD' kits), there is no need for a boost protecting check valve. Everything is built-in and tested over 100psi.
I need a oil cap breather for my boosted engine and oil does not seep down or escape the breather because it has a thick o ring prevention. Plus I clean my filter to prevent this from happening.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:06 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I need a oil cap breather for my boosted engine and oil does not seep down or escape the breather because it has a thick o ring prevention. Plus I clean my filter to prevent this from happening.
got ya so it would build up and leak down if you were not continually washing the build up away
Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

got ya so it would build up and leak down if you were not continually washing the build up away
It's possible it could, but I don't mind cleaning it, it gives me something to do. It serves it purpose for my setup. For a turbo setup like the one you have pictured above, I can see where it could cause a problem with that exhaust setup could spill over and catch fire.

Last edited by corvet786c; 06-24-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you sure about that? There is nothing that meters outside air or air in the crank case for that matter. The MAF measures air going into the intake, which is complete and separate systems in an engine with no issues.

If your SC set up is correct with the appropriate check valves in place, there shouldn't be that much pressure in the crankcase, pressure comes from blow-by which indicates an issue in the engine. Breathers or catch cans do not effect the tune at all.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Are you sure about that? There is nothing that meters outside air or air in the crank case for that matter. The MAF measures air going into the intake, which is complete and separate systems in an engine with no issues.

If your SC set up is correct with the appropriate check valves in place, there shouldn't be that much pressure in the crankcase, pressure comes from blow-by which indicates an issue in the engine. Breathers or catch cans do not effect the tune at all.
yes i am sure about that.

all pcv air on all oem MAF systems is measured first by the MAF sensor.

if you do not do this you must account for the PCV air supply manually in the re-tune.

crankcase flow under load is the result of ring leakages, which i find among other things proportionate to output. (more air going in, so more air coming out. more air coming out at a given leakage % = more crankcase flow). eventually the power level gm planned for with the stock pcv plumbing is no longer adequate. this would show itself in the form of crankcase pressure and or clean side oil consumption

Get notified of new replies

To Boost & Timing Cover Seal

Quick Reply: Boost & Timing Cover Seal