C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87K Miles add supercharger, should I do more?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 AM
harrykerry
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 87K Miles add supercharger, should I do more?

1998 Auto with 87k miles. Im planning on adding an AA supercharger. Besides changing the harmonic balancer, any other things I should do? Actually wondering if I should spend some money and put in a new motor? Mine runs great, but Ive rebuilt pretty much everything else, suspension, will be upgrading brakes. Just put in a 3.42 Z06 rear end with 7000 miles, so what do you think?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by harrykerry
1998 Auto with 87k miles. Im planning on adding an AA supercharger. Besides changing the harmonic balancer, any other things I should do? Actually wondering if I should spend some money and put in a new motor? Mine runs great, but Ive rebuilt pretty much everything else, suspension, will be upgrading brakes. Just put in a 3.42 Z06 rear end with 7000 miles, so what do you think?
I'd do a health check on the engine and if the compression test (leak down is even better) looks good and the engine has been taken care of I'd go for it.

If you have a good tune and don't detonate the engine (stay below around 700 hp) it will likely live a happy life. If your HP goals are more ambitious, I'd wait for the new short block
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

More info will be needed here with A/A blower & what is your rwhp wants here. This will tell us what else you need to do now. Robert
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Thanks for your advice!

I'd do a health check on the engine and if the compression test (leak down is even better) looks good and the engine has been taken care of I'd go for it.

If you have a good tune and don't detonate the engine (stay below around 700 hp) it will likely live a happy life. If your HP goals are more ambitious, I'd wait for the new short block

Im just trying to keep her fresh as a daisy, I dont think I can do a Z06 C7, even though after I sell some property I have, i probably could, but really love this nassau blue corvette. Any suggestions on this forum to get a short block?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

More info will be needed here with A/A blower & what is your rwhp wants here. This will tell us what else you need to do now.

Im just looking for 500 rwhp. I use the car mainly for a grocery getter, but my grocery store is 40 miles of a killer new twisty highway near Redding, CA
Old 06-19-2017, 11:47 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

More info will be needed here with A/A blower & what is your rwhp wants here. This will tell us what else you need to do now.

Im just looking for 500 rwhp. I use the car mainly for a grocery getter, but my grocery store is 40 miles of a killer new twisty highway near Redding, CA

You can operate everything pretty much stock, at 500 RWHP, and be fine.

However, I'd recommend a transmission cooler, and the DeWitts Radiator, to help keep it all cool, if you have the cash. More power, means more heat. Those will also better prepare you, for when/if you wish to north of 500 RWHP...someday.

Call Andy or Josh at A&A, they'll recommend the proper parts, and any further advice you need.

SuperCharged C5 Corvettes, are such a hoot to drive. It's the 'good kind' of addiction...

Don
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 AM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Thanks for your advice!

However, I'd recommend a transmission cooler, and the DeWitts Radiator, to help keep it all cool, if you have the cash. More power, means more heat. Those will also better prepare you, for when/if you wish to north of 500 RWHP...someday.

Call Andy or Josh at A&A, they'll recommend the proper parts, and any further advice you need.

SuperCharged C5 Corvettes, are such a hoot to drive. It's the 'good kind' of addiction...

Im already shopping for the Dewitt Radiator, and probably will do the fans too..thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 PM
lilryan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a stock short block and making over 700rwhp. Car has 89k miles on it. It has had the blower since 30k miles or so. It recently lifted a head so I am doing studs. Ill run it until it lets go and build a short block.

Ryan
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 AM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Thanks

]I have a stock short block and making over 700rwhp. Car has 89k miles on it. It has had the blower since 30k miles or so. It recently lifted a head so I am doing studs. Ill run it until it lets go and build a short block.

I think Im starting to get it...when in doubt, punch it!
The following users liked this post:
winters97gt (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:11 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Wouldn't even worry about it unless you've had valvetrain or past motor issues. Watched many 100,000+ mile and even an LS6 car with 160,000 miles slap on a supercharger and live.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Im already shopping for the Dewitt Radiator, and probably will do the fans too..thanks

Your A4 Transmission will love you, if you get it a separate transmission cooler. Don't run it through the DeWitts combo with both AntiFreeze, and Transmission fluid. Makes BOTH hotter. We put mine behind the left headlight.
Many guys told me, A4 can take a lot of punishment, if you don't get it too hot all the time. Seems true! So.....

The fans should help move air also.

Also, after it's SuperCharged, don't 'Nail it' while cruising in OD. Shift down to 3rd, then nail it. The A4 ( I was told) doesn't like that hard shift down to 2nd, from OverDrive, when going into boost.

You'll love it. It's how America's Sports Car was meant to run! Almost like stock when you're just crusin' around. And, Nothing like stock, when you nail it...

Don
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 AM
gmbal4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW !! nice to see someone else is on here from Redding .....sure is HOT here
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 AM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Redding

nice to see someone else is on here from Redding .....sure is HOT here

Hey There, Im in Lewison, have the Lewiston Hotel. Bring your vette up sometime!

Oh and about the tranny cooler post thanks, where do I look for one of those?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Thanks for the info!

Your A4 Transmission will love you, if you get it a separate transmission cooler. Don't run it through the DeWitts combo with both AntiFreeze, and Transmission fluid. Makes BOTH hotter. We put mine behind the left headlight.
Many guys told me, A4 can take a lot of punishment, if you don't get it too hot all the time. Seems true! So.....

Also, after it's SuperCharged, don't 'Nail it' while cruising in OD. Shift down to 3rd, then nail it. The A4 ( I was told) doesn't like that hard shift down to 2nd, from OverDrive, when going into boost.

You'll love it. It's how America's Sports Car was meant to run! Almost like stock when you're just crusin' around. And, Nothing like stock, when you nail it...

Thanks alot, that was great info...Looks like I should be buying a tranny cooler. Ill call AA maybe they could install one when I do the supecharger?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:30 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Transmission Cooler

Thanks alot, that was great info...Looks like I should be buying a tranny cooler. Ill call AA maybe they could install one when I do the supecharger

Or do you or anyone reading this recommend the best tranny cooler? Summit shows several and different sizes
Old 06-25-2017, 09:46 PM
gmbal4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW pretty cool just googled the hotel and your car is parked out front in the picture. .About 30 minutes from redding I`m going have to take a trip up there sometimes.
harrykerry (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Eaglerulez
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Build your trans?
harrykerry (06-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 87K Miles add supercharger, should I do more?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Lewiston Hotel

WOW pretty cool just googled the hotel and your car is parked out front in the picture. .About 30 minutes from redding I`m going have to take a trip up there sometimes.

That would be great. I have a special going on Dinner for 2 and a room $100...Kerry.....530-778-3823
Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Default Build your trans?

Build your trans?

Sorry, what do you mean?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

1) Oil Pump
2) LS2 timing chain
3) Transmission cooler

Since you have to pin the crank and it sounds like you are going to get a new balancer, might as well replace your almost 20 year old oil pump and timing chain while you have access to it.

Last edited by reactor2; 07-08-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 87K Miles add supercharger, should I do more?