C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild ls1 or buy a new motor opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Rov213
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild ls1 or buy a new motor opinions?

hi id like to get some ideas and suggestions i should go with. I have an ls1 engine stock bottom with 150k miles. It has an a&a supercharger v3, stock cam, dual valve springs and a full exhaust. Tuned on pump fuel at 12psi making 500whp. My transmission is upgraded to handle up to 800hp. Cars been running great for awhile now just planning for which direction i should go to in my motor for the near future. A very reputable shop gave me a total quote of 8-10k to rebuild my engine. Thats from removing the ls1, teardown to bare block, rebuild/machining to a forged rotating assembly, installation and dyno tuning. Or should i just swap a new motor with my supercharger? And if so which shops are reputable for making such good engines? My max budget is 10k for parts and labor. My goal whp is 550-600. My main goal is it being reliable and would last a very long time without causing much headaches in the future. I dont beat on my car And drive conservatively for the most part. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Rov213; 06-20-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:50 AM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

With such a conservative goal, I'd find a " junkyard " 6.0 motor and have it re ringed and re bearinged then swapped out. Maybe even do an oil pump and timing chain. I'd assume you could do that with less than 1/2 your 10k budget. Tuned and out the door.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im facing the same delimma myself. Stock engine right now, looking to go stage 2.
I have a z06 block, stock rebuilt crank w bearings, H beam rods and TFS has, as well as rearmount specific comp cam. I have a good ammount of engine build experience but never an LS. I was planning on doing it myself with an LS experianced person supervising.
My tuner is pushing toward the LS crate motor for boost from GM performance.roughly 6k, with forged crank roughly 8k. But its a drop in propositon and offers a warranty.
To be honest, I have doubts about the rods in the crate engine. Plus Id rather have the satisfaction of having speced and built it myself...if it blows, it will be my fault. So, leaning toward rolling my own.
However in your situation, the crate egine may offer some advantages.

Last edited by StatmanRN; 06-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Im facing the same delimma myself. Stock engine right now, looking to go stage 2.
I have a z06 block, stock rebuilt crank w bearings, H beam rods and TFS has, as well as rearmount specific comp cam. I have a good ammount of engine build experience but never an LS. I was planning on doing it myself with an LS experianced person supervising.
My tuner is pushing toward the LS crate motor for boost from GM performance.roughly 6k, with forged crank roughly 8k. But its a drop in propositon and offers a warranty.
To be honest, I have doubts about the rods in the crate engine. Plus Id rather have the satisfaction of having speced and built it myself...if it blows, it will be my fault. So, leaning toward rolling my own.
However in your situation, the crate egine may offer some advantages.
gee that's quite a of bit of $$ for your goals I have something for consideration

iron block 4.8, wiseco pistons, gen4 rods, all fresh see my add

or you could go with an L33 block and a forged setup (I have it too, being built now) for way less money if you want the lighter engine

shucks, I'll sell you my ls6 motor that has forged internals for WAY less than these guys are talking about and it's bolt in and go. I'm upgrading to the L33 with forged internals so it's available soon

lots of folks will sell you a reasonable short block ready to go

you can then sell your old engine for a few $$ too
Old 06-23-2017, 04:58 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe a stingy dyno. 500 is low even for an auto at 12psi. What's it trap? I'd just put a cam in it, springs, add meth and gain 50-75hp. Definitely wouldn't run a 4.8 unless it's a racecar or high compression E gas boosted car.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Rov213
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
gee that's quite a of bit of $$ for your goals I have something for consideration

iron block 4.8, wiseco pistons, gen4 rods, all fresh see my add

or you could go with an L33 block and a forged setup (I have it too, being built now) for way less money if you want the lighter engine

shucks, I'll sell you my ls6 motor that has forged internals for WAY less than these guys are talking about and it's bolt in and go. I'm upgrading to the L33 with forged internals so it's available soon

lots of folks will sell you a reasonable short block ready to go

you can then sell your old engine for a few $$ too
how much would you be selling your ls6 with forged internals? Ang what are the details on the build?

Last edited by Rov213; 06-23-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Also interested in the LS6.
Im hesitant to go with an iron block for handling reasons- something else about the GM engines I dont like.

Last edited by StatmanRN; 06-24-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

lots of people making >600whp reliably on stock motors. 8-10k seems crazy. you could put forged pistons and rods in that ls1 with stock crank, and have it redone super cheap and be way stronger than what you would need at that power level.

I personally know a guy who made 1200whp+ on stock ls1 crank for quite awhile in ls9 block. I don't think its a great idea but point is that stock crank can hold 600whp easily.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Rov213
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by neverstop
lots of people making >600whp reliably on stock motors. 8-10k seems crazy. you could put forged pistons and rods in that ls1 with stock crank, and have it redone super cheap and be way stronger than what you would need at that power level.

I personally know a guy who made 1200whp+ on stock ls1 crank for quite awhile in ls9 block. I don't think its a great idea but point is that stock crank can hold 600whp easily.
how much would you say the average cost should be to put forged pistons and rods? Some machining of my stock block might need to be re-done too?

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild ls1 or buy a new motor opinions

Quick Reply: Rebuild ls1 or buy a new motor opinions