C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coming Out Of BOV: Crankcase venting...need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Oil Coming Out Of BOV: Crankcase venting...need help

So this is how my setup is on my A@A v3si supercharger. I was trying to avoid tapping the oil cap or venting to inside the engine bay. Iam getting oil coming out of the blow off valve under hard pulls. Someone please educate me...why is oil being pushed through the air charge hoses and out of the Blow Off Valve? I am assuming the oil is not venting properly and that the oil is finding the easiest way out? Can someone check and provide any recommendations. Thanks.

The Routing is:
Line from Drivers Side Valve Cover to PCV Valve to Check Valve to Upper Port on Catch Can.
Line from Intake Manifold to Lower Port on Catch Can.
Line from Passenger Side Valve Cover Venting to Airbox and Filter of Supercharger.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 06-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Your lines are all screwed up. You should have a line going from the valley cover to the catch can inlet(you can tee your passenger valve cover line into this one), one line(with PCV valve) from catch can to intake manifold barb. Cap off your throttle body port. Driver side cover line goes to airbox.

See MightyMouse Diagram

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 06-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Your lines are all screwed up. You should have a line going from the valley cover to the catch can inlet(you can tee your passenger valve cover line into this one), one line(with PCV valve) from catch can to intake manifold barb. Cap off your throttle body port. Driver side cover line goes to airbox.

See MightyMouse Diagram
Sorry my bad...one description was wrong...the line I said was coming from the throttle body isn't. Its directly behind the throttle body on the intake manifold as shown in the picture.

So I just need to verify with you.

1.) Where is the barb from the valley cover I need to connect to? Looks like from the diagram its located on the passenger side near the intake manifold down low directly behind the throttle body? You're saying run a line from there and "T" split that to the passenger side Valve Cover and then run that to the lower port on the Catch Can?

2.) Run a line from the Catch Can Top Port that has my PCV valve and check Valve to the intake manifold.

3.) Drivers side line that runs from the Valve Cover up close to the firewall behind the engine and around to the passenger side needs to be extended and run down to the airbox.

4.) Leave the throttle body capped off. (this is how I have it now).

and just to clarify...my catch can is a CCA Sealed Catch Can...its not vented like the Mighty Mouse...not sure if that matters.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 06-28-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

I forgot to ask if you have the LS1 or LS6 style valley cover. The LS1 style does not have the barb there and you will have to run the valley cover hose from the passenger side valve cover instead.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 06-28-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure. It's a 2002 so I have the LS6 intake. Don't know about what valley cover I have. Can you tell from the pics?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Not sure. It's a 2002 so I have the LS6 intake. Don't know about what valley cover I have. Can you tell from the pics?
I can't tell from the pics on your first post but the picture you added on your second post is the LS6 valley cover.

I would also recommend putting a second catch can in the line running to your airbox to prevent oil from being pulled into your blower and sprayed throughout your charge piping.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 06-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

getting your lines fixed is key but mighty mouse makes a vented pcv style filter that just screws in on your oil filler but i believe stays sealed when part throttle and then opens up when crank case has positive pressure which is a great solution
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You need to check valve the hose between the LS6 valley cover into the valve cover. I would cap the valley cover though its not a good source when making power.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neverstop
getting your lines fixed is key but mighty mouse makes a vented pcv style filter that just screws in on your oil filler but i believe stays sealed when part throttle and then opens up when crank case has positive pressure which is a great solution
Not an option...I don't want to vent to under the hood. I have too much custom painted items and a custom painted hood liner. I don't want oil or even vapor mist accumulating on everything.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 06-28-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

So after reviewing...I believe my setup looks identical to what MM has on their website link with the exception of that they "T" off the drivers side valve cover line and that also has the valley line to it as well that flows to the Catch Can. I have to go home and double check to make sure I have that barb down there on the valley cover. I also don't know about catch cans...what is the "inlet" and what is the "outlet". My CCA can I honestly don't know and Iam just going on the way it was hooked up by the installer to be correct. I am still puzzled as to why I am getting oil shooting out of the Blow Off Valve though and spraying all over the inner vender wheel well area where the BOV is located. Is this solely because my catch can is not filtered like the MM or because Iam not "T"ing into the valley cover? Iam hoping Dave chimes in.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:04 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Got your pm and email call for help!

First:
You can and should only use my diagrams with my cans. The routing are as specific as the can builds are, please please do not mix and match.

Only follow your can manufacturers directions; If they do not have directions then honestly you may want to switch brands.

That being said:
Relative to what i do, the breather on the can is on the clean side of the can. If you were to get oil out of the breather on my can it would either simply be full or you have an extreme amount of blowby (over 1500hp worth) that needs special consideration.
For those that simply do not want any air release to the engine bay, I have a 'recirculation top' that allows this discharge air to be routed to the destination of your choice
See it in use here->

Relative to your situation:
You have significantly increased the output of the engine, and therefore the crankcase airflow; But unlike fuel system, exhaust, and other supporting mods, you have made no changes to allow increase crankcase airflow. You are asking the stock system to now handle possibly twice as much airflow, and because of that you are having problems.

Oil is coming out of the passenger valve cover because that is the only blowby vent on the engine in stock layout. When the air speed picks up relative to output, it also 'picks up' oil. This is called 'clean side contamination'.
While others would have you add another can or separator to try to catch this oil, you are only further increasing crankcase pressure by adding restriction to the only vent, and are working your way toward a seal failure or worse.

There is no way around this unless you add to the ventilation capacity of the system, and trust me a lot of ways you can try and fail. I have seen it.
But this is what you CAN do with my PCV can, or as it comes within the 'WILD' systems. We give the system the ability to exhale as needed (cleanly), and equalize any crankcase pressure at the source. This keeps it from backing up and causing problems on the clean side as well. We also of course catch the PCV oil, and have built in boost protection.
All this means it can easily improve on augmented stock systems and dual can systems in one swoop.
Here is another video with a direct comparison to another method of pressure control.

Happy to discuss further as needed.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 for MM catch cans. I push 10 psi on my centri and switched to a mm can shortly after the car was done. I noticed you didn't run the oil cap line to the air filter like a&a recommends. Mine was like that but I didn't want the blower to suck in oil or fumes.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by David@MMS
Got your pm and email call for help!

First:
You can and should only use my diagrams with my cans. The routing are as specific as the can builds are, please please do not mix and match.

Only follow your can manufacturers directions; If they do not have directions then honestly you may want to switch brands.

That being said:
Relative to what i do, the breather on the can is on the clean side of the can. If you were to get oil out of the breather on my can it would either simply be full or you have an extreme amount of blowby (over 1500hp worth) that needs special consideration.
For those that simply do not want any air release to the engine bay, I have a 'recirculation top' that allows this discharge air to be routed to the destination of your choice
See it in use here->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7ScnQxSbg

Relative to your situation:
You have significantly increased the output of the engine, and therefore the crankcase airflow; But unlike fuel system, exhaust, and other supporting mods, you have made no changes to allow increase crankcase airflow. You are asking the stock system to now handle possibly twice as much airflow, and because of that you are having problems.

Oil is coming out of the passenger valve cover because that is the only blowby vent on the engine in stock layout. When the air speed picks up relative to output, it also 'picks up' oil. This is called 'clean side contamination'.
While others would have you add another can or separator to try to catch this oil, you are only further increasing crankcase pressure by adding restriction to the only vent, and are working your way toward a seal failure or worse.

There is no way around this unless you add to the ventilation capacity of the system, and trust me a lot of ways you can try and fail. I have seen it.
But this is what you CAN do with my PCV can, or as it comes within the 'WILD' systems. We give the system the ability to exhale as needed (cleanly), and equalize any crankcase pressure at the source. This keeps it from backing up and causing problems on the clean side as well. We also of course catch the PCV oil, and have built in boost protection.
All this means it can easily improve on augmented stock systems and dual can systems in one swoop.
Here is another video with a direct comparison to another method of pressure control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl70sRRpibk

Happy to discuss further as needed.
Thanks Dave. Can you elaborate more on why Iam getting oil shooting out of the Blow Off Valve though? Am I correct in assuming the oil is basically coming out of everywhere on the engine from the intake manifold all the way to the pipes from the supercharger and to the intercooler?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Thanks Dave. Can you elaborate more on why Iam getting oil shooting out of the Blow Off Valve though? Am I correct in assuming the oil is basically coming out of everywhere on the engine from the intake manifold all the way to the pipes from the supercharger and to the intercooler?

sorry just saw this. in stock form the crank vent (the only crank vent when in a boosted app like this) is the the valve cover line to the s/c inlet.

so oil is blowing out of that with blowby and running oil all through your s/c system. very common.

some will have you add a second catch can here or a clean side separator here. these may catch some of the outbound oil but as a side effect their internal restrictions will further increase crankcase pressure, potentially to a dangerous level if not there already from increased hp.

that is why you need a catch can that eliminates crankcase pressure, so your clean side stays 'clean' and in some configurations you can divorce these two points completely. or stop outbound flow ability here, since the properly selected can would not require this vent.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:36 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry just saw this. in stock form the crank vent (the only crank vent when in a boosted app like this) is the the valve cover line to the s/c inlet.

so oil is blowing out of that with blowby and running oil all through your s/c system. very common.

some will have you add a second catch can here or a clean side separator here. these may catch some of the outbound oil but as a side effect their internal restrictions will further increase crankcase pressure, potentially to a dangerous level if not there already from increased hp.

that is why you need a catch can that eliminates crankcase pressure, so your clean side stays 'clean' and in some configurations you can divorce these two points completely. or stop outbound flow ability here, since the properly selected can would not require this vent.
thanks Dave...that makes a lot of sense with you explaining it like that. So I see there is a mild and a wild catch can. Looking at them I don't see any difference and looks like they for me would install the same way? Obviously I just need the one that is going to work for me and is the cheapest option. I have mine currently bolted to the side of the battery tray so it's close to the headers. My guess is to go with the recirculating top and run a line down to the airbox like my current setup is to avoid any possibility of oil or fumes near the hot headers that could possibly start a fire.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

if you are drag racing / road driving / autocross then the standard vent top is fine, if you road race or have special fumes requirement or some other special need then possibly the recic. top is best

the catch can build in the 'mild' vs 'wild' systems are different and connect differently

the mild systems almost always connect in-line of the stock pcv system, and therefore cannot flow more than the stock pcv system. the wild systems replace the pcv system, and can flow up to 1500hp based on the line(s) size between it and the crankcase.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Dave...hey question...do you have to drill the oil cap to use your MM Wild catch can? Iam seeing this new diagram on your website.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 3.45.24 PM.png
Views: 4241
Size:  170.6 KB

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Coming Out Of BOV: Crankcase venting...need help

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Hi Dave...hey question...do you have to drill the oil cap to use your MM Wild catch can? Iam seeing this new diagram on your website.

Attachment 48194087
He has oil fill adapters with male AN threads on his website.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

yes
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ll-an-adapters

if you have the type of valve covers my adapters work for then that is all you need, but there are still times when welding / drilling / tapping may be required depending on what you are working with.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

yes
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ll-an-adapters

if you have the type of valve covers my adapters work for then that is all you need, but there are still times when welding / drilling / tapping may be required depending on what you are working with.
Ok yep I see it now...its part of the kit. Cool deal...Now let me ask you another question. I have a highly painted engine and airbrushed hood liner plus the catch can would have to be located mounted on the side of my battery tray cover close to the headers. Because of all of this, I would be interested in the recirculating top. My question is can I run the hose coming off the top of the catch can down to an area (probably down near the airbox) and does it come with or can I put that small filter on the end of the hose the way you normally have it coming off the catch can? Or is that not recommended cause it causes additional restriction? or dis that actually the recommended way? or is there a maximum length recommended for how long that hose should be (longer line I would assume is more restriction? Thanks.

Thanks Dave
Jeff

Name:  18056075_10209027575508289_8190442249466146235_o.jpg
Views: 3665
Size:  185.9 KB

Name:  18056199_10209027575468288_7594504675510655013_o.jpg
Views: 3660
Size:  173.9 KB

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-08-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Coming Out Of BOV: Crankcase venting...need help