C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noticeable miss - I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:04 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Noticeable miss - I'm stumped

TT C5 tuned via SD developed a noticeable miss. Engine shakes slightly more than usual at idle and continues to 2k where afterwards its a bit harder to detect. Lost 7mph in the 1/4.

Tested the car while running by removing each plug wire one at a time. Each time the miss got worse. Did the same things with the injectors with the same results. Pulled all plugs which look ok and performed a compression test. All is well.

My mechanic friend thinks its either a sensor (no codes) or a vacuum leak which we looked for and couldn't find. Turning on the misfire option in the ecm also didn't show any noticeable misfires.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

And thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Pull injector plug and keep an eye on engine vac to see how it changes and runs each cylinder.

Compression test....what are the results ?

Leakdown test.

Ensure all valvetrain are sound.

If it has this problem at idle, what are lambda readings at idle on each cylinder bank ( open loop ), or better still a 4gas analyser results for each bank.
The following users liked this post:
ForceFedC5 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

Compression test was inline with previous ones:

1 147
2 139
3 143
4 140
5 149
6 145
7 150
8 148

I'll try your other suggestions and respond in this thread. Thank again!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Would check for broken valve spring.
ForceFedC5 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:11 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Would check for broken valve spring.
This was my first inclination. Is it auto or manual trans? Either way, get a infrared temp gun and shoot each primary but do it with the engine loaded. Set the e-brake and power brake it or load it with the clutch lightly. Check the temp of each primary. The low temp cylinder will be your culprit.
ForceFedC5 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
TT C5 tuned via SD developed a noticeable miss.

Tested the car while running by removing each plug wire one at a time. Each time the miss got worse. Did the same things with the injectors with the same results. Pulled all plugs which look ok and performed a compression test. All is well.

My mechanic friend thinks its either a sensor (no codes) or a vacuum leak which we looked for and couldn't find. Turning on the misfire option in the ecm also didn't show any noticeable misfires.
If it is tuned by HPTuners, I think 2/3 bar SD CoS won't support any misfire codes (P0300...P0308) no matter if they are active or not in the DTC list.
ForceFedC5 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
If it is tuned by HPTuners, I think 2/3 bar SD CoS won't support any misfire codes (P0300...P0308) no matter if they are active or not in the DTC list.
They actually will, I've used it before when I previously had a head gasket issue.

New plugs and wires, same issue. Going to either get fresh e85 or through some 93 in it and see if that helps. Maybe something with the e85? Ethanol content is about right at 82%...

Thanks guys!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Update:

I used a combustion leak tester to test for a blow head gasket:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Performed the test twice when she was warm and the color didn't change.

Next I used my friends infrared tester as suggested. The car is an auto, but unfortunately I was alone so I couldnt load the engine. At idle and after reving it up for a bit, #2 cylinder was not as hot as the others, by about 30 degrees. I'm not sure however if this was because its getting air flow from the fan. I blocked that off best I could and it was still running colder....

Next I switched the coil packs between 2 and 4, no difference, switched injectors from 2 and 4, no difference.

Guess I'll spray around with carburetor cleaner since it's the next easiest test before I have a leak down test down.

Stupid question, would a cylinder that does great on the compression test, and misses once in a while, be caused by excessive leak down?

Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ForceFedC5; 07-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Problem with hydraulic lifters...is it can easily mask some problems to make a compression test look ok, and a leakdown test has limitations too.

Again, a 4 gas on each bank would highlight what sort of misfire if any, and you've swapped the injector and coil pack about cylinders....but try just swapping injector wiring.

Even firing at the wring time, it will still allow fuel into the cylinder. Or have you verified good signal to the injectors ?
ForceFedC5 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:54 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Did you check the valve train yet?
ForceFedC5 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Problem with hydraulic lifters...is it can easily mask some problems to make a compression test look ok, and a leakdown test has limitations too.

Again, a 4 gas on each bank would highlight what sort of misfire if any, and you've swapped the injector and coil pack about cylinders....but try just swapping injector wiring.

Even firing at the wring time, it will still allow fuel into the cylinder. Or have you verified good signal to the injectors ?
Hopefully without sounding too stupid, I believe my LG 3" exhaust mixes the exhaust gases in the mufflers so I wouldnt be able to test there? I've also noticed that the ECM compensates up to 30% for a rich or lean condition at idle, wouldnt both of these effect the results?

How do I check the signal at the injector?

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Did you check the valve train yet?
No yet. I plan on pulling the pass side valve cover soon, it's the easiest. Should I be visually able to see a broken spring?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
Hopefully without sounding too stupid, I believe my LG 3" exhaust mixes the exhaust gases in the mufflers so I wouldnt be able to test there? I've also noticed that the ECM compensates up to 30% for a rich or lean condition at idle, wouldnt both of these effect the results?

How do I check the signal at the injector?

No yet. I plan on pulling the pass side valve cover soon, it's the easiest. Should I be visually able to see a broken spring?
You should see if one is broken if you look carefully. The inners can be hard to spot but look with a light and you can see.
ForceFedC5 (07-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Noticeable miss - I'm stumped

Quick Reply: Noticeable miss - I'm stumped