C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i keep my clucth or put a new one in ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Should i keep my clucth or put a new one in ???

Wih the new setup i should be close or in the 4 digit.(427/Etp ls7/ysi @ 2.85)
My current clutch is a Spec Super Twin SS-Trim rated at 900 torque capacity.
Clutch kit has less than 3k miles and work prefectly.With the addition of a Tick master the pedal effort has increase quite a bit but nothing too dramatic.

Should i keep it since its has low mileage ?
or
It wont hold the new power and i should buy another one $$$$$$

Thanks

Last edited by always faster; 07-10-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

If it ain't broke....dont fix it.

Some clutch ratings are more conservative than others...and if the current clutch is working great, I'd just leave it there until it does present a problem.

As it seems all too often with clutches, they're a ******* nightmare to get one that does work very well !
Old 07-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Learning moment for me too, but if your torque doesn't hit 4 digits why bother? Seems up in that power range torque trails hp by a hundo or 2 does it not?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

It would suck to put it back together and then find out the used clutch is slipping. Go new for the piece of mind imo
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM
all4spl
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a solution for you!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silver408z
It would suck to put it back together and then find out the used clutch is slipping. Go new for the piece of mind imo
It would suck even more to spend a fortune on a new clutch and for it to have problems when the existing one is working great.

I really dont understand why it's so difficult to get a good reliable clutch these days.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silver408z
Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It would suck even more to spend a fortune on a new clutch and for it to have problems when the existing one is working great.

I really dont understand why it's so difficult to get a good reliable clutch these days.
I do agree with both of you, it would suck to redo the install but i would also suck to spend 2k$ if my clucth is ok.

I will inspect it caefully and maybe give the flywheel a fresh resurfacing and will see.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Learning moment for me too, but if your torque doesn't hit 4 digits why bother? Seems up in that power range torque trails hp by a hundo or 2 does it not?
Really didnt tought about the torque but your right i wont reach the 900wtq .
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by always faster
I do agree with both of you, it would suck to redo the install but i would also suck to spend 2k$ if my clucth is ok.

I will inspect it caefully and maybe give the flywheel a fresh resurfacing and will see.
If you resurface the flywheel make sure to take measurements when you put it all back together because you may need to shim the slave.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:42 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have the twin organic disks I believe. Check with spec about swapping to a more aggressive disk. Personally if a slightly more aggressive disk exists for you and the friction surfaces look decent, I would run the new disks after hitting the old friction surfaces with an abrasive disk to clean them up and it should run fine unless they are warped etc which it sounds like not. Check with Spec.

Century supercharged cars do make less torque, but you are bumping up CI so that will make more down low also. If you are going to race this thing and slip the clutch you will want to have some sort of metallic friction material IMHO.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slow ride
You have the twin organic disks I believe. Check with spec about swapping to a more aggressive disk. Personally if a slightly more aggressive disk exists for you and the friction surfaces look decent, I would run the new disks after hitting the old friction surfaces with an abrasive disk to clean them up and it should run fine unless they are warped etc which it sounds like not. Check with Spec.

Century supercharged cars do make less torque, but you are bumping up CI so that will make more down low also. If you are going to race this thing and slip the clutch you will want to have some sort of metallic friction material IMHO.
A very valid point. If the current discs are organic, then moving to the puck style will offer a substantial torque holding increase. At the expensive of driving nice though.

But would be a very cheap upgrade option.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:01 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is true for sure, I know they make a sintered iron disk for the twins, but hope they offer some sore of in between. I am a picky SOB and don't mind my RXT at all.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:01 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want a mantic clutch hit me up, I'll take care of you.

Get notified of new replies

To Should i keep my clucth or put a new one in ???

Quick Reply: Should i keep my clucth or put a new one in ???