C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get more power from a ls6

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

So not a lot of boost, unknown tune, unknown quantity of meth, unknown cam ( "large" means little to us, and could even be counter productive. ), stock heads.

So so many areas where more info would help, and there is room for improvement. And as said, the blower can very easily support more.

Also you dont state what dyno, and whether that is a reputation for honest or fictional numbers as many do.

Have you ever raced the car ? How does it trap ?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had it at the 1/4 mile. It never made power or ran right. The double roller timing chain was also installed wrong along with valve float. here are the specs to the cam.

Comp blower cam
226-234-114 lsa 569 lift on intake.
576 lift on exhaust
3.85 pulley

Last edited by prochargedz; 07-20-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Originally Posted by prochargedz

Never had it at the 1/4 mile. It never made power or ran right. The double roller timing chain was also installed wrong along with valve float. here are the specs to the cam.

Comp blower cam
226-234-114 lsa 569 lift on intake.
576 lift on exhaust
3.85 pulley
Originally Posted by neutron82
can you post the dyno, it didn't show up
original run from first shop before the discovery of dbl roller timing chain installed incorrectly and bad beehive springs.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Both runs are on a dynojet. I have no idea how the meth comes on or how much of it. The tuner didn't go into details with me. It is a double nozzle.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Nozzle set up
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Alcohol injection systems meth set up
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
prochargedz
Pro

I noticed lots of belt material around the pulley. I am not sure if the belt is slipping. It's an 8 rib ECS bracket.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Almost forgot. She burns over a quart of oil every 500 miles
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you have a plethora of issues.

Oil usage is high, but that may not necessarily affect power.

Lots of dust like that, especially if over a short period of time would very likely indicate slippage.

AFR trace looks quite reasonable....I presume the other line which disappears off scale is boost ? Not really useful unless the line in it's entirety can be seen along with scale. It does look stable for the part that is visible though

The cam is quite mild and with low lift, shouldnt pose much trouble to any valvetrain setup.

regards meth...it would be good to know how much you are using...and is this 100% meth or are you running some water ?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

that looks like a 6 rib bracket and not an 8 rib... with as much dust as you are seeing, belt slip is probably one of your main issues... do you have a graph that doesn't have a box blocking the end of the pull and showing rpm instead of mph?... it looks like the power is dropping off at the end which it should not do and it could be caused by the belt slip... I think you should be seeing more boost with the pulley you have and that will make up a big chunk of your lost power right there, but you have to keep the belt from slipping

Last edited by neutron82; 07-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 AM
prochargedz
Pro

Originally Posted by neutron82
that looks like a 6 rib bracket and not an 8 rib... with as much dust as you are seeing, belt slip is probably one of your main issues... do you have a graph that doesn't have a box blocking the end of the pull and showing rpm instead of mph?... it looks like the power is dropping off at the end which it should not do and it could be caused by the belt slip... I think you should be seeing more boost with the pulley you have and that will make up a big chunk of your lost power right there, but you have to keep the belt from slipping
do you have an 8 rib set up? This is the only graph I have. Here is the reason they gave me for not showing rpm.

"The tach signal doesn’t work on the RPM mode, that’s why we have to leave the graph on speed".
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 AM
prochargedz
Pro

I guess I will start with the belt issues, It is disappointing bc I upgraded to the ecs bracket bc the prochager bracket with my old P1sc started slipiing and ripped. Tore my hood liner all up. thanks. kevin
Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 AM
prochargedz
Pro

Does the set up have to be changed to an 8 rib or is it a matter of getting an 8 ribbed pulley. lol. I know the answer already. lol
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Just because you have a good bracket system, doesnt mean whoever installed it has done it all correctly, correct belt, correct tension, etc etc.

Checking things like that are essentially free. Do them first.

But without some sort of graph of boost vs rpm....there maybe isnt even much point doing that.

Boost against speed is fine, as long as it is in a single gear and to maximum revs. The units dont matter as long as they are a linear measurement.
The following users liked this post:
prochargedz (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:44 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ?

Originally Posted by prochargedz
I guess I will start with the belt issues, It is disappointing bc I upgraded to the ecs bracket bc the prochager bracket with my old P1sc started slipiing and ripped. Tore my hood liner all up. thanks. kevin
Can you please tell me when you purchased these from ECS or if they were purchased used? These are the original hd version of brackets way back when ECS used procharger. I just looked and the cad file was last changed in 2010 and that file inculdes 2 newer versions which allow easier access for changing the pulley. That change was probably for something not related to the brackets as it covers many other items.

The current procharger parts (not a part of the above mentioned file) are completely different using an idler that can be adjusted after final assembly ( just like current Paxton brackets) rather then an idler needing to be preset before assembly.

Bob
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Originally Posted by RpeterK
Can you please tell me when you purchased these from ECS or if they were purchased used? These are the original hd version of brackets way back when ECS used procharger. I just looked and the cad file was last changed in 2010 and that file inculdes 2 newer versions which allow easier access for changing the pulley. That change was probably for something not related to the brackets as it covers many other items.

The current procharger parts (not a part of the above mentioned file) are completely different using an idler that can be adjusted after final assembly ( just like current Paxton brackets) rather then an idler needing to be preset before assembly.

Bob
I bought these brand new from ECS back in 2005. My car was also at that shop and made no power. It might have been the beehives that my local guy put in and he installed the double timing chain wrong according to the last shop.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 PM
prochargedz
Pro

It is really hard to change anything with this bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To how to get more power from a ls6

Old 07-23-2017, 11:03 PM
prochargedz
Pro

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Just because you have a good bracket system, doesnt mean whoever installed it has done it all correctly, correct belt, correct tension, etc etc.

Checking things like that are essentially free. Do them first.

But without some sort of graph of boost vs rpm....there maybe isnt even much point doing that.

Boost against speed is fine, as long as it is in a single gear and to maximum revs. The units dont matter as long as they are a linear measurement.

I am not married to the bracket system. It feels tight and it was very difficult to install a new belt. The shop did mention that the belt snapped or flew off in one of their dyno sessions bc oil got on it. Both shops sent me the graph of boost vs speed for some reason. I asked for the rpm but they said it was not available
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

It looks like you have an assortment of issues with this set up, including the BOV placement. I see you are in Maryland, if you would like it corrected properly feel free to give us a call to set up an appointment. Those brackets although a little old, have powered several 8 second cars when set up correctly. The newer designs were really more for ease of belt changes and tensioning, along with fitting different aftermarket intakes.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

To me looks like you have the old bracket system. There is a new updated bracket system which is to help the belt slip issues. I also have the procharger system and I updated my bracket with no belt dust ir any kind of slip. Its the picture you see there.

Quick Reply: how to get more power from a ls6