C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm considering a supercharger, low RPM boost question??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I'm considering a supercharger, low RPM boost question??

I'm considering a vortec supercharger. I know centrifugal chargers deliver boost different than a roots, or screw chargers and deliver most boost at high RPM.

What I'm am wondering with a vortec do you get any boost at all below 2500 RPM? I really like low RPM throttle response but I dont want to put on an aftermarket hood to clear the supercharger.

Also I think eldelbrock makes a low profile screw type charger for the C6 that does not require a different hood, will it fit a C5 vette? And I think I just found my answer on the eldelbrock system , it looks like lingenfelter makes a kit for the eldelbrock system on a C5. Anyone have this set up yet? http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WXT464jyuyI

So, the big question is,,, Do you get ANY low rpm boost with a centrifugal charger?? Can you feel the boost off the line or just cruising and tap the throttle , is there boost?

Thanks for any input. Also I have already read plenty about the subject, but I want some real world input from those who have centrifugal and screw type chargers.

Last edited by Lemans Blue; 07-23-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Also in consideration of reliability and longevity, I dont want to go crazy with high RPM HP, but I was thinking that going with a smaller pulley and just spinning the charger faster might help in the low RPM range. I dont plan to spend a lot of time at 6000 + RPMs. I just want more usable, on demand, real world HP and Tq.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

If you like the low end you have now, it will only be better with any type of supercharger. The tuners can put more timing in the low rpm range to also help with low rpm power. Then also like you mentioned being aggressive on the pulley selection will help bring the boost in earlier and you can limit the power on top with a restrictor plate or pulling timing. There are plenty of options on making low end power even with a centi blower.
The following users liked this post:
Lemans Blue (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

A better question would be, does such a blower offer any torque increase at low rpm. Not boost. The two are not always the same.

And absolutely yes even if you dont see positive pressure on a gauge, the blower is still providing air to the engine. But if you're asking for a large increase in torque at low rpm, then no a centrifugal blower is not for you.

If you can get the likes of the Edelbrock to fit then yes it would be a far better choice for you.
The following users liked this post:
Lemans Blue (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

That link is for a kit "adapter" and if you read you will see you would still need an aftermarket hood to clear the sc. I wasn't sure from your post if you noticed that, so you might as well get one that doesn't require an adapter.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Darkvette98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the supercharger kit is 10-15k for the Edelbrock... plus buying the adapter and high rise hood....I personally would stick with a centrifugal for the power you're trying to make...or just go with heads and cam
Old 07-24-2017, 05:44 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Or dont overlook the simplicity of cubes if it is largely low rpm torque you want.

If you're on a stock 5.7 for example...a jump to a 427 or even a 454 will give you a huge increase in low rpm torque.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Thanks all for the imput, I'm thinking a Vortech will get me what I want if tuned right. I guess there would not be any lag in power like a turbo. Now to decide what kit, A&A or ECS???
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue
Thanks all for the imput, I'm thinking a Vortech will get me what I want if tuned right. I guess there would not be any lag in power like a turbo. Now to decide what kit, A&A or ECS???

If you want lots of extra torque below 2500rpm....then as already said, no it wont.

But correct, there will be no lag with any blower, ie great throttle response.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you want lots of extra torque below 2500rpm....then as already said, no it wont.

But correct, there will be no lag with any blower, ie great throttle response.
And a little better TQ with the ECS kit by design, Lemans feel free to give us a call to discuss.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm considering a supercharger, low RPM boost question??

Quick Reply: I'm considering a supercharger, low RPM boost question??