C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C5 still feels a bit faster then my bolt on/Pullied 17 Z06

Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Default My C5 still feels a bit faster then my bolt on/Pullied 17 Z06

Whenever I get in my C7 Z06 and plant the go pedal after recently being in my C5, I think to myself, why does this car feel a little slower to me??

I then remember that I was out in the C5 a few days before, and the way that pulls vs the C7 is kinda noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, I really like them both, 2 different Animals, but I have to laugh to myself when I forget I have just driven the C5 recently...
Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Whenever I get in my C7 Z06 and plant the go pedal after recently being in my C5, I think to myself, why does this car feel a little slower to me??

I then remember that I was out in the C5 a few days before, and the way that pulls vs the C7 is kinda noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, I really like them both, 2 different Animals, but I have to laugh to myself when I forget I have just driven the C5 recently...
Weight maybe? Two of my friends have C7Z's and my o4Z with 600 to the wheels pull on them until the bigger end where I imagine their tranny makes their legs longer. I'm 3,300 pounds with me in it, what is the new Z with you in it?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Aren't you putting down 800+ rwhp on the c5? Big power gap and probably a smaller weight gap advantage.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Weight maybe? Two of my friends have C7Z's and my o4Z with 600 to the wheels pull on them until the bigger end where I imagine their tranny makes their legs longer. I'm 3,300 pounds with me in it, what is the new Z with you in it?
Both my C5 and C7 Z weigh around 3450 with out me in them...

Originally Posted by ysb02
Aren't you putting down 800+ rwhp on the c5? Big power gap and probably a smaller weight gap advantage.
Yes, with a fresh belt, and proper tension (That's where I'm at right now!!), my C5 rips pretty good, 800+ rwhp, 700+ rwt...

My C7 has around 660 RWHP, and almost 700 RWT. The TQ hits right away, between 2500-3000 RPM and I'm at max TQ, so it does pull pretty good as well!! It also has 19 years of Technology on the C5.

But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Both my C5 and C7 Z weigh around 3450 with out me in them...

Yes, with a fresh belt, and proper tension (That's where I'm at right now!!), my C5 rips pretty good, 800+ rwhp, 700+ rwt...

My C7 has around 660 RWHP, and almost 700 RWT. The TQ hits right away, between 2500-3000 RPM and I'm at max TQ, so it does pull pretty good as well!! It also has 19 years of Technology on the C5.

But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!

"But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!"

When I was 13 yrs old, an older cousin took me for a ride in his 67 Corvette, 427. I didn't know beans about cars then, but I knew it was supposed to be one of the fastest cars in the area, and that he raced it, regularly.
I believe it was 'modded' significantly!

I, had a full blooded Western QuarterHorse, I'd raced at County Fairs for two years. The fastest 'thing' I'd been on, to that point. Because I wasn't yet fully grown, I had quite a good weight advantage against some of the adult cowboys I raced against. And my horse just loved to run.

I'd say his 0-30 times, were probably spectacular! If they'd of measured such things, back then....at small town County Fairs. I know, that when I told 'the King' to go, I needed to be dug in tight and hanging on... It was '0 to whatever' instantly!
I won lots of races! What a magnificent animal, and gentle friend, he was!!!

So back in the Corvette, I remember he 'nailed it' when we got out on the county road, with no one around. I remember feeling ''a brutal raw power'' from that car. Being thrown back in the seat, and saying out loud... 'holy sh-t'... or something like that. It was awesome, I clearly recall that ride, that feeling, all those years ago. (about 50)

So, I grew up, from then always wanting Corvettes (now 3) and believing they ought to deliver 'brutal raw power'. Nothing less!

My C5, at 628 RWHP, is considerably less than yours. But, it's what I think ALL Corvettes should be built as, and then modded up (if needed), to somewhere nearer to where your power is! Otherwise, what's the point...of building Corvette in the first place...?

Those, are the feelings of a 13 year old farm kid, from his first ride in America's Sports Car. A 427 Corvette.

Just sharing some thoughts I had, when I read your comment "But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!"

Always enjoy your videos.
Don
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by donald4972

"But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!"

When I was 13 yrs old, an older cousin took me for a ride in his 67 Corvette, 427. I didn't know beans about cars then, but I knew it was supposed to be one of the fastest cars in the area, and that he raced it, regularly.
I believe it was 'modded' significantly!

I, had a full blooded Western QuarterHorse, I'd raced at County Fairs for two years. The fastest 'thing' I'd been on, to that point. Because I wasn't yet fully grown, I had quite a good weight advantage against some of the adult cowboys I raced against. And my horse just loved to run.

I'd say his 0-30 times, were probably spectacular! If they'd of measured such things, back then....at small town County Fairs. I know, that when I told 'the King' to go, I needed to be dug in tight and hanging on... It was '0 to whatever' instantly!
I won lots of races! What a magnificent animal, and gentle friend, he was!!!

So back in the Corvette, I remember he 'nailed it' when we got out on the county road, with no one around. I remember feeling ''a brutal raw power'' from that car. Being thrown back in the seat, and saying out loud... 'holy sh-t'... or something like that. It was awesome, I clearly recall that ride, that feeling, all those years ago. (about 50)

So, I grew up, from then always wanting Corvettes (now 3) and believing they ought to deliver 'brutal raw power'. Nothing less!

My C5, at 628 RWHP, is considerably less than yours. But, it's what I think ALL Corvettes should be built as, and then modded up (if needed), to somewhere nearer to where your power is! Otherwise, what's the point...of building Corvette in the first place...?

Those, are the feelings of a 13 year old farm kid, from his first ride in America's Sports Car. A 427 Corvette.

Just sharing some thoughts I had, when I read your comment "But again, for brutal raw power, the C5 hits HARD!!"

Always enjoy your videos.
Don
Thank you very much for your thoughts Don!!! I REALLY enjoyed reading about your memories of that horse, and your first ride in that 427!!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PD blown car against centri will always feel slower even though they were equally powerful at top end. The power curves are like comparing old turbo car to a big displacement n/a car with same top end power.

I have driven both a lot in C5 shell and the centri always feels more exciting even if it was slower. One day we put one PD and one centri C5 in same dyno and with 40 hp more the PD car felt slower on the street and it gripped better. It's the steady torque curve...

Here's PD, n/a, turbo and centri torque curves in the same dyno overlaid. All 4 samples produce the same top end power +/- 15 hp:

Last edited by Juhatee; 07-25-2017 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jbsblownc5 (07-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To My C5 still feels a bit faster then my bolt on/Pullied 17 Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C5 still feels a bit faster then my bolt on/Pullied 17 Z06