C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 rib drive new!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 08:33 PM
obaybblown88
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 rib drive new!!!!

hey i just got my new 8 rib drive in from ATI Performance Products!!! (no not ProCharger ,but the other ATI the guys that make super dampers) This kit has everything that you need to convert from factory to 8 rib drive. I mean that the damper the power steering the alternator and tentioner is included that will take one 8 rib belt and drive the supercharger and all of the acc. The kit was like 1100.00 and I have to modify my blower braket but it's worth it to me to get the extra traction.
And the way that I found the out is I have been using these guys dampers on my bracket car for years with great results, these guys know there stuff . The only other thing you need is what they call a pin kit . Witch is a gizzmo that puts pins in the crank so the damper doesn't spin.
I got mine :D so you get your :yesnod: and dont get left behind :cry call these guys @800.284.3433

I left my sheet at work w/ part #'s :mad .I was too happy to get it home :cheers:

P.S. the damper is needed when going 10.99 and faster.....15 psi and no more slippage .10.99 no problem :yesnod:

If I can help w/ any other ?'s just post 'em I'll be arond for a few :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (obaybblown88)

I feel like a real jerk to burst your bubble... but there's a cheaper way of doing this. There is a bracket setup that adds an extra idler pulley that makes the belt wrap around the blower pulley so that you gain about 75% more "traction". That way you don't need the 8 rib. I'll be installing one of these in a few days. It also raises the blower by about 1/2" so it's easier to run an intake duct over the top of the radiator so you can eliminate the ATI intake box and run dual fans.
On all my installs I lay the radiator down by moving the mounts forward and lowering the top of the radiator so I can run a duct over the top. It's a REALLY tight fit, though. With these brackets it should be a lot easier.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 AM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (Andy@AandACorvette)

Some applications, like mine, really do need the 8-rib. He's pushing 15 pounds. I suspect he does too.

Tom
Old 10-04-2002, 10:15 AM
TomC5
Instructor

You will definitely need the 8 rib system. Although I do not have the ATI system I can say that I have been involved with this problem for a couple of years. My car started out with the stock PTC system (Vortech S trim). When I added the 8 rib system I gained 3 lbs of boost with no other changes. I also worked with PTC to develop a drill fixture to allow them to pin the crank. We made a fixture that clamps to the crank nose aligning 2 drill holes at 180 deg. What ever technique you use be sure you key the dampener to the crank.
Although I have not updated my sig yet I have replaced the stock motor and S trim supercharger with a 402 and a T trim supercharger. Because of these mods I have had to go to a cog style serpentine belt. The car made 660hp up to about 5400 rpm and then the belt began to slip. Hopefully I will have the cog pulleys installed in the next couple of weeks and I will break the 700hp mark.

Tom
Old 10-04-2002, 09:22 PM
obaybblown88
Cruising

lets just add for one minute......

30,000 for the car
3,000 for the bottom end
2,000 for the heads
4,000 for the blower
25 for a half butt part

some how i don't think so, also a&a with that much pressure on a belt the fail rate must be high. nothing like being on the side of the highway w/ the hood up.....so i'll be passing you soon :cheers:

but all else said nothing can bet a super damper for engine protection :yesnod:
Old 10-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Yup, with 15 lbs the 8 rib and more wrap on the pulley is definately needed. :cheers:
Old 10-07-2002, 01:01 AM
jeff_nation
Racer

8 ribs in conjuction with an adjustable pulley will keep it tight.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (jeff_nation)

GoldenWestPerformance.com has an 8 rib system for less than $1100. If you guys knew what Andy was doing (Andy post some pics) of the greater surface area wrapping around the idler pulley compared to stock..you will be able to see the surface area increases 40-50%...what does more surface area mean???? Think about it in ways like bigger tires=bigger contact patch means more grip....now you get it. 15 lbs of boost is a lot of boost...I would recommend the 8 rib system for anything over 10lbs. There is a cheaper 8 rib though. I will be using Andy's setup this weekend to complete my project...I will only be running 7 lbs of boost though.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Cya5
Instructor

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (tscales)

What needs to be modified on your blower brackets?

All I can get is 10lbs on my 6-rib set up.

Are you guys having the oil siphon problem from the crank case ventilation tube?
Old 10-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Mad_Dog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I feel like a real jerk to burst your bubble... but there's a cheaper way of doing this. There is a bracket setup that adds an extra idler pulley that makes the belt wrap around the blower pulley so that you gain about 75% more "traction". That way you don't need the 8 rib. I'll be installing one of these in a few days.
You have e-mail -- I am interested in where I can get this pulley set-up. Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2002, 06:20 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much RWHP / RWTQ is the 8-rib set up good for (approximately)? I will be going with a forged 408 blower motor along with a D1 or F1 blower head unit and I don't want to upgrade to the 8-rib only to find out that I need to go bigger or to a cog set-up to prevent slippage. Who has the 8-rib already installed and how much HP / TQ are you putting down without slippage?
Old 10-09-2002, 07:33 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (R6_C5_ML430)

It's not holding yet for mine. Mike's done a larger idler pulley to wrap around better. He's working with GWP for new mounting brackets yet.

But then again, I'm expecting 600+ rwhp, maybe closer to 700.

Tom
Old 10-09-2002, 10:05 PM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Sean, my GWP 422/SC was slipping above 5500 rpm with the 8 rib system. (Somewhere around 680 rwhp when it hit 5500rpm I believe Kenny told me, but I'm not certain) Sorry I can't tell you exactly what hp levels the 8-rib is good for, maybe 600-650 rwhp, maybe more? I'm not sure what variables are all involved, maybe it has more to do with the torque and hp slope than an actual hp peak level. GWP has since put a cog drive on mine as we are now trying the F1. They should be finishing the switch to my F1 blower soon.

ZZ
Old 10-10-2002, 10:27 AM
TomC5
Instructor

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (R6_C5_ML430)

Sean,
I have to agree with Tom. I had the same at 5500 RPM and I am currently waiting for the cog hub from ATI to upgrade the serpentine belt to a cog drive. Your setup seems to be similar to mine so I would sugest you go with the cog drive belt. I can tell you that at 566 RWHP there was no slipage and the HP & torque curves showed no belt slippage.

Tom
Old 10-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Cya5
Instructor

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (Shinobi'sZ)

Bigger tires do not give you a bigger contact patch. They only changes the dimension of your contact patch. :D
Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!! (Cya5)

Bigger tires do not give you a bigger contact patch. They only changes the dimension of your contact patch. :D
:nonod: It is a bigger contact patch, otherwise there would be no purpose to doing it. In the end it is not the shape that matters, but the area of the contact patch.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:05 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: 8 rib drive new!!!!

Depends on your definition of bigger.

Bigger AROUND (larger circumference) doesn't give you a bigger contact patch.

Bigger WIDER does.

Mine are much wider, hence a bigger contact patch.

Tom
Old 10-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Cya5
Instructor

[Modified by Cya5, 3:14 AM 10/23/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To 8 rib drive new!!!!

Quick Reply: 8 rib drive new!!!!