C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 FRC Pro Mod Style TT Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:52 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a set of those 68/70s fail in less than 300 street miles. Precision couldn't explain it and warranty replaced them, sold them bitches. Too expensive to be unreliable.

I like where this build is going though.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

The referenced promod pictures show a healthy angle on the turbos as mounted, however Ben has mounted his level to ground. The car will absolutely be street driven.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06
I had a set of those 68/70s fail in less than 300 street miles. Precision couldn't explain it and warranty replaced them, sold them bitches. Too expensive to be unreliable.

I like where this build is going though.
If 2 on the same car failed, it would be incredibly odd for it to be a turbo problem.

One maybe..but both ? it almost has to be related to the install.

I'd like a pair on my own...but probably dont need that much turbo lol The cheap BW's are hard to beat for value for money and performance.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:38 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If 2 on the same car failed, it would be incredibly odd for it to be a turbo problem.

One maybe..but both ? it almost has to be related to the install.

I'd like a pair on my own...but probably dont need that much turbo lol The cheap BW's are hard to beat for value for money and performance.
It was not a install, oil feed, or drain issue.. The car ran great on the dyno and then they just ate themselves idling in the driveway one day. Precison could not explain it so they replaced them. Who knows what caused it, but that made us gun shy so I sold them and replaced them with much cheaper journal bearing comp 68/71's
Old 08-26-2017, 05:21 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

I've had a 68 on a 4cyl car now for almost 2 years, lots of use...lots of boost and it's been faultless.

Of even more interest...if that was a back to back swap essentially....how did the two perform ?

Spool ? Power ? on the road ?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 PM
TTBlueZ06
Pro

Not running yet. Decided to make a bunch of other changes while it was down. Soon.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
The referenced promod pictures show a healthy angle on the turbos as mounted, however Ben has mounted his level to ground. The car will absolutely be street driven.
mounting the turbos like that seems to be ok huron is angling them up

but I'm very curious as I've always thought they should be "level" with the flange paralell to the ground

is that is an invalid assumption and can the turbos be mounted at any angle without causing problems?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
mounting the turbos like that seems to be ok huron is angling them up

but I'm very curious as I've always thought they should be "level" with the flange paralell to the ground

is that is an invalid assumption and can the turbos be mounted at any angle without causing problems?
Lol, I designed the prototype for Huron. I'm the JDS mentioned on their site. They are set just shy of 15deg tilt for clearance of turbo and downpipe to avoid cutting frame. The turbos on my personal car are at the same angle, just have 3.5" downpipes and exhaust. No issues. Manufacturers recommend no more than 15deg tilt or it will can cause oil problems. Obviously ideal is parallel to ground, but that's not always possible. For Ben's setup it is in this thread, so no reason not to.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM
DemiGod
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDS99
Lol, I designed the prototype for Huron. I'm the JDS mentioned on their site. They are set just shy of 15deg tilt for clearance of turbo and downpipe to avoid cutting frame. The turbos on my personal car are at the same angle, just have 3.5" downpipes and exhaust. No issues. Manufacturers recommend no more than 15deg tilt or it will can cause oil problems. Obviously ideal is parallel to ground, but that's not always possible. For Ben's setup it is in this thread, so no reason not to.
Great work JDS. I'm staying tune for this one. He fabbed up my current twin turbo kit and will be for sale pretty soon on here as I am going a different route that he designed as soon as I get my funds ready (Huron).
But this has really gauged my interest wonder if I should hold off.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:46 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by trayack
You should see it now that DMC just stuffed the Hemi in there...

- Travis
I saw it a YBNats Friday. Looks awesome!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

There has been some good discussion in here. After my last post, I fully intended to "catch up" the build thread with what has been accomplished through the summer. I went on a one week vacation with the family and flew home to Hurricane Harvey in the Gulf of Mexico. I think that ate up another week, but I did do a little fabbing during the storm. I then got sent out of town for another week to help a sister facility within the company that got flooded. So all in all, there's been a 3 week break but that's life and there isn't a schedule for this build. I would like to see it running by Thanksgiving but we'll see.

I've got all the materials needed for the turbo kit but there is still some fabrication and welding left to go. I will say the chosen turbo location and decision to abandon the exhaust has made this build very easy. The engine block showed up from Race Engine Development last month but still needs some machining, parts, and assembly.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

After pulling the engine and turbo kit, the TTiX kit was sold some time in June.

This allowed the build to move forward and I began purchasing all of the new parts for the turbo kit.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Main Parts

A joint effort between TopSpeed Motorsports and Extreme Turbo Systems produced a pair of PTE-6870 turbos with a ported S cover and 0.96 A/R T4 turbine housing.

Next, AutoMods, LLC provided the Precision BOVs and wastegates.

(2) - 46mm wastegates

(2) - 64mm BOVs

Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Intercooler

My friend Jon has been very instrumental in this build. I'm on my 1st turbo kit and 2nd bottle of argon. I've lost track of how many bottles he has been through and his welding capabilities are impressive. He has given me a lot of tips and advice throughout this project. I went through his company JS Fabrications to order a "1500 HP" intercooler that he designed and it was fabricated by Bell Intercoolers.

Here's a quick shot right after it showed up and before mounting it to the car. The fin density on the core is insane.

I was also able to source a "starter kit" consisting of misc aluminum and stainless bends, couplers, and clamps. This would prove to come in handy as the project progressed.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

The turbos were in hand but a few more key pieces were needed to get the turbos located and begin routing all piping.

304 SS T4 Flange with mounting ears from Motion RaceWorks

321 SS T4 transition pipes from Specialty Products Design

Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Mounting turbos

I wanted to hard mount the turbos to the frame and getting the location right was going to be key to the success of the kit.

Constraints:

They had to be tucked in tight to give room for the 3.5" downpipe.
They had to be up high enough to allow for a gravity oil drain.
A filter was desired for street driving and the inlet is 4".
The inner fender apron needed to remain intact to protect everything from dirt and water.
The car is low, so ground clearance is important.
Unless necessary, cutting into the frame and firewall needed to be avoided.

In short, move what needed to be moved to get a good location and then work out routing the piping and mounting all other items afterwards.

I started with the driver side in early July knowing that it would be tight with the clutch master cylinder and brake booster on that side. The external fuel lines, boost control solenoids and meth pump were removed to make room for the turbo. These items would have to find another home later.

1/8" plate welded to frame

Driver side turbo mounted - July 15, 2017

Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Now it was time for the passenger side. In the picture below, the ECM has been removed as well as the vacuum canister, the battery mount has been deleted and the 45 degree brace cut out. Also the rubber firewall drain or "udder" has been removed. All of this will be addressed later after the turbo and piping is in place. The battery will go to the rear, the vacuum canister will be relocated and the ECM will move to the engine compartment. The plastic hasn't been trimmed yet in this photo.

1/8" plate welded to frame

Passenger side turbo mounted - July 22, 2017

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 FRC Pro Mod Style TT Kit

Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Downpipes

Up next was one of the most exciting parts of the build so far and I'm glad that I tackled it early on. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time and feel like it will look right at home on a C5.

For whatever reason, I started with the passenger side. It's amazing how simple the parts are for fabricating the two downpipes.

3.5" 304 SS Tubing - A single 180 degree bend and two 90 degree bends

Cut with a Chop Saw

Ready
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

This is the point of the build where the C5 purists will want to look away.

Locating the hole

Holesaw and cordless drill

Checking initial fitment

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Putting the pieces together

Ready to mark for the slash cut

Complete Downpipe