1999 FRC Pro Mod Style TT Kit - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 FRC Pro Mod Style TT Kit

Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #61
Turbo-Geist
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked with Mike. Not sure if he can fit them or not. I didn't expect this to be such an issue. These HTC billet mains were on the last block and I was planning to reuse them on this block. I also have the factory mains that came on this new block.

I've talked to 3 places and they all said they couldn't do it. Even LME said they would have to send it out to another shop. I had a couple of leads before the hurricane, but now I can't get a call back.

One place I talked to this week said they could do it, but would have to buy new main caps because the used HTC mains would take too much work. I'm on the fence about whether aftermarket main caps are required or not this go round. I've got enough turbo to easily make 1600rw but doubt it will ever get pushed that hard.
Turbo-Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #62
stevieturbo
CF Senior Member

AES fitted billet/pinned mains to my LS2 block...

That work seemed to be all fine, but don't think I could ever recommend them though for so many other reasons.
stevieturbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #63
Turbo-Geist
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
AES fitted billet/pinned mains to my LS2 block...

That work seemed to be all fine, but don't think I could ever recommend them though for so many other reasons.
Thanks. Did you send the block to them? I'm trying to keep it in Texas or Louisiana. It's already made one trip to California.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #64
stevieturbo
CF Senior Member

They supplied me a new block. This was around 4 years ago.

Posting a block to get machined from UK to US then return again....is much worse than Texas to Cali lol

Just makes more sense to buy new ones !

TBH if doing it all again and starting from scratch, I'd aim for an LS9 block

I believe it already has billet/pinned mains, already uses M12 head studs vs 11mm and has oil squirters already fitted. And supposed to be a stronger alloy too ?

A lot of positives there, although I'm sure the work could be done to a lesser block for much less money too.

The likes of Texas Speed not an option ? Or where is Erik these days ? He was posting a lot of good info here recently, so presume he is at a shop of some sort now ?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #65
Turbo-Geist
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Gotcha. This block has already been M.I.D. sleeved, drilled for 1/2" studs and decked. At this point it needs main caps, a final hone and then ready for assembly.

I called Texas Speed twice and they claim they are more of an assembly line operation and don't do custom one-off machining. A couple of other machine shops said no. Are you talking about Erik that used to be at HKE?
Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #66
SBCGENII
CF Senior Member

Have you tried fitting the old billet mains in your new block yet? Are they tight where they need to be?
SBCGENII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #67
stevieturbo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist View Post
Gotcha. This block has already been M.I.D. sleeved, drilled for 1/2" studs and decked. At this point it needs main caps, a final hone and then ready for assembly.

I called Texas Speed twice and they claim they are more of an assembly line operation and don't do custom one-off machining. A couple of other machine shops said no. Are you talking about Erik that used to be at HKE?
Yes, I think this is him posting here ?

Is he at a shop where he can do work ?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 1999 FRC Pro Mod Style TT Kit
  •