C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Grandpa Owned" 99 FRC Blower Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Grandpa Owned" 99 FRC Blower Build Thread

This is just a build thread for my 99 FRC. Here's some back story on my build....2-3 years ago I bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X. I loved the car, I guess a little too much cause I put stupid money into it. I had a fully built engine, 6266 BB Precision turbo.....anything you can think of it had it. It Made 620 on e85 on the lower setting. It NEVER ran right...would always give me issues left and right.......

I had a buddy who had a 2002 z06 cam and full bolt ons who abused and abused his car......I always thought that thing would for sure blow up. IT NEVER DID [Well It kinda did but after pro charging it and raping it for 4 days straight at TX2K17]. It always ran fine and never gave him issues. It even beat me from a dig [I had a messed up transmission at the time] but still. Minimal money put into a z06 vs. a fully built Evo X. It finally hit me that the maybe I should switch platforms. I parted out my EVO X and started looking for a C5!

I looked around for months and months. Finally one weekend I found a pretty good looking Pewter FRC. My buddy [the one with the z06] said lets go look at it. I caved in and we went to go "look." I had a loan already taken out for a car just in case I found one I liked.

We show up to the guys house and we immediately look at each other in awe.....THE CLEANEST PEWTER FRC we have ever seen. Brand new z06 rep wheels, brand new tires, Brand new Wilwood calipers front and back with new pads and rotors. THE CLEANEST PAINT EVER, and to top it all off....it was BONE stock.

Out walks a elderly man. We get to talking....says he's had it since 2001 and basically just drove it on the weekends and to go out to places with his wife. He had every oil change, maintenance, EVERYTHING done to the car since he's owned it. This thing was clean from interior to exterior. The car has 110k miles or so on it....It must of sat in the garage its whole life. We finally get a deal worked out and that next weekend I buy it! Bought it for 11k and I was extremely happy.

That was all last October.....I took it home and drove it everyday for about a month. Never have I fell in love with a car this quick. Sadly one day I got the infamous clutch pedal sticking to the floor. I already knew what was happening. The slave cylinder failed [I knew it would after driving it hard for awhile]. So I started the tear down and began the build on it.

I began to do some research on what I wanted to do. I bounced back and forth in turbo or supercharger. Turbo was the ideal setup but....I wanted to try something I've never done before.

Began to do a parts list of what I wanted to do:

GOAL 650-700whp on e85 Big goal but doable probably on a D1 not the P1

-Stock LS1 [ Yes I know it won't last that long but I have plans so pay attention to the posts later on this thread]
- P1SC OR D1SC
-E85
-Single Intercooler custom setup [Ditching the twin intercooler design pro charger gives you with the kit]
-Cam [With supporting mods obviously]
-243 heads ported
-ls7 Lifters
-ls9 Headgasket
-External pump setup or double intake pump setup
-Twin disk
-Big Tire 28in tall
-Built RPM trans
-Diff "built" with c6 z06 stuff
-Trans/diff brace
-Rebuild TT [Just in case]
-All NEW gaskets throughout motor [Also new water pump]
-Bigger radiator
-ARP bolts in the head

Obviously ALOT more just the basic run down/ setup.

I found a Procharger kit used on the forums around the December time frame. I scooped it up real quick. Its just a P1SC but I had some plans for it . Right after I got that I decided to start the process of getting the motor pulled apart.

Pulled Inatke manifold, front end accessories and radiator stuff.

Couldn't help having the pro charger mounted lol

Started Pulling the cam out!

CAMS FINALLY OUT! First time doing this so I took it slow.

Working on taking the heads off now. MOTOR LOOKS SUPER HEALTHY!

Heads are off. Those deadbolts are not fun getting off while in the car. Another reason why I pulled the motor.

Finally got the heads off and done with the motor disassemble for now. I wanted to start with the rear drivetrain now. This was easily the biggest pain in my ***. Doing this on the floor is hell by yourself. If I had a lift This would be a 4-5 hour job taking your time.....

Disconnected most of the rear of the car.

Yayyyy its on the ground. I now realize leaving the cradle attached is way slower now. I have a new way of pulling everything now.

Unfortantly As soon as I got everything off the car.......we found a house that we liked and decided to move. Bought a house about 15min away. Had to reattach the TT and trans/diff. Oh well

Also Picked up some C5Z reps and some 28x10 hoosier slicks

After we moved into the new house. Things got going REALLY QUICK. Lots of parts were bought and gathered. Moved into the house around March.....this is when things picked up.

This thread is still not up to date. Im a lot farther than whats posted. Please stay tuned for more updates.

Next post will probably be a more "Up to date" post. Mainly this was all stuff in the past.....next post I'm thinking I'll make a actual list of what I have currently.

PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS! Help me out if you know more about certain parts that would work better than other don't hesitate to tell me!
The following users liked this post:
Irish31 (06-04-2019)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:09 AM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

You have so much apart so far. Put rods and pistons in it and then let it eat.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Originally Posted by silver408z
You have so much apart so far. Put rods and pistons in it and then let it eat.
Funny you say that! Later in the thread I'll be posting something that I acquired that will make this build awesome in the future.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Coling1124
Funny you say that! Later in the thread I'll be posting something that I acquired that will make this build awesome in the future.
Nice. Sounds like it will be interesting. My car is currently being worked on and at the shop now. Getting excited about having it running. There is a build thread about it in here.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I'd say 750whp very doable on a P1sc. There was a guy on here making 850whp with one but I think had a lot of timing in it and lifted heads? but 750whp on e85 would be a super fun street car.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Originally Posted by neverstop
I'd say 750whp very doable on a P1sc. There was a guy on here making 850whp with one but I think had a lot of timing in it and lifted heads? but 750whp on e85 would be a super fun street car.
p1's are good blowers and get mostly used on basic blower cars. This keeps them from making big power most of the time. With that said its still hard to make 700+ with a p1. D1's and bigger blowers do it much easier.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Scotty_Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

awesome build so far. can't wait to see the rest
Old 08-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

After getting moved into the new house....finally got to start getting parts again. Ordered up a pretty good amount of parts and found some good deals on the forums.

I gathered the following parts:
P1SC
MSD 8.5MM Plug wires
80LB Injectors
TR6 Plugs
Kooks headers and mid pipe
3.4 pulley for the pro charger
LS6 Intake
28in hoosiers with the z06 wheels
LS7 Lifters
Tial BOV
New updated sway bar end links from GM
ARP Crank pulley bolt
Gauge pod [dual]
Tick performance master cylinder
Tick performance quick bleed line
160 degree thermostat
Boost gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
Rear main seal
new power steering pulley [broke mine]
Torque tube bearing kit

A good Bunch of this has been collected before I moved to but most of it afterwards. A lot of quality parts I got on the forums cheappppppppp! This build is going great so far.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Default You WONT believe this.

Guys I got the BEST deal I've ever gotten.

Was searching on Ebay just bored looking around....and found the HOLY GRAIL.

The listing was for a MANTIC 9000 Twin disk clutch!
The listing was ending in 5-6 hours with no bids. NO RESERVE.....

I had to scoop this up. Bidding started at 200$ . Clutch [supposedly] only had 2k miles on it but when he got on the dyno it slipped so he upgraded to the RPS triple or quad or whatever.

Long story short I picked this up for 250$ [50$ shipping]. This is a 1500$ plus clutch! I got it in the mail and everything was there...minus the bearing that comes with the kit.....which Im getting a new slave cylinder anyways so whatever.

I measured the clutches pad thickness and shot mantic a email. They said this clutch still has 90% life left. Also the flywheel has almost zero wear or hotspots I was speechless

1800$ or so clutch for 250$.

The mantic flywheel, It looks nasty here but its just dirty and grimy. Picked up a new pilot bearing and a clutch alignment tool.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Default Started back up on the motor [LS1]

Got a few maintenance things for the LS1. Just so I don't put it back in the vette something stupid happens [like the rear main starts leaking on the clutch and ruining it].

So I picked up a new rear main, front cover/seal, pilot bearing. When Im closer to putting the motor in the car I will be purchasing a new water pump and gaskets from GM, Oil pan gasket, slave cylinder, knock sensors x2, valve cover gaskets and valley cover gasket. Just to make sure this motor is good to go. Might reuse the valley cover gasket just cause Im cheap idk

Got the motor out of the car. Kind of a pain.....but eventually got it with a help of my roommate. Documented a lot of things just to ease of putting back into the car. Like the starter bolts and orientation and the grounds on the block.

Starter orientation

Grounds

more grounds......pretty grimy down here.....

A/C connection

Starter

Rear main getting bolted on!

New pilot bearing

More surprises to come.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:49 PM
all4spl
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how did you even find that on ebay? I cant find anything like that
Old 09-01-2017, 12:29 AM
Coling1124
Advanced

Originally Posted by all4spl
how did you even find that on ebay? I cant find anything like that
I just got lucky. Literally just scrolling through ebay and found it out of the blue.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:34 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Love this build, really a clean FRC. Subscribed!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Will be posting more this weekend!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 AM
Coling1124
Advanced

So after getting moved in to the new house for a bit. Started working on the car, like I said I got the car torn apart, engine out, took the drivetrain back out.....I then got a presented a pretty sweet deal.

My roomate [the one with the black z06 earlier in this post] had his z06 disappear for a few weeks. Finally he told me he wrecked it from hydro planing into a barrier. Bald Mickey Thompsons and rain don't mix clearly. So he said he was done With the car....and was going to sell it. I shot him an offer jokingly and he said yes. So.....I bought the car, It had minimal damage. The quarter panel was messed up and it needed an alignment bad.

The car was pro charged but with the deal we made he got to keep the pro charger and I got the rest of the car......oh and the stock LS6 was knocking a little lol. But Ill get to that later.

I had ALOT of parts to play with on this car.

-RPM Built trans
-3 rib diff
-Ron Davis radiator
-Oil cooler
-Tick performance cam
-Tick pushrods
-LS6 intake
-243 heads with upgraded valve springs .660
- Pfdat coilovers
-GM T1 Sway bars front and back
-Titianium exhaust
-Wideband and boost gauge
-Gauge pod
-Short throw shifter [dont know brand]
-Some nice interior pieces
-Meth pump and controller
-Boost a pump

I tore the whole car down to a roller [no engine, trans, diff, just the body and wheels]. I pretty much got an extra drivetrain for my car and a lot of aftermarket parts for 5k. Not a bad deal at all if you ask me. Got it torn down in a week and sold that weekend....it SUCKED but it was worth it.

Upon draining the oil from the "knocking z06" there was something in the oil but couldn't confirm it was metal or not. It was hard to tell. Pulled the heads of, lifters, inspected the cam....all looked good. The cylinder walls looked fine as well. Has to of spun a bearing some where in the bottom end is my guess. I thought a lifter exploded was my guess but they all looked fine.

Engine out of the black Z06.

Took the cradle off by itself this time. Liked this way a lot more.

Car is almost completely stripped, weird to look at lol

Heads off the LS6 motor. I have my LS1 on my engine stand....so I put it on a C5 wagon wheel and shoved it in the closet lol.

Cam looks alright

No damage just typical wear.

Cylinder walls all look clean and normal like this.

RPM Built trans!

3 RIB DIFF

Short shifter.....with a expensive shift ****

So my plans is to push the limit on the stock ls1 and build that LS6 block on the side for when the LS1 pops.....if it ever does. Theres a lot of ppl that runs 600-800 all day long and never blow up.....guess thats kinda tuner and maintenance dependent but still. Oh by the way I plan on getting tuned by Shane Hinds [I think thats how you spell it lol]. Im guessing most of you midwestern owners know that name. Also on the fence about getting the 243s broken down and sent off to get ported and cleaned up. Will probably do that....but we will see. I have a deadline of being done by TK2K18.

Anyways, So I sold a lot of the parts listed above, just cause I wasn't going to use some of it, kept only what I wanted

-Ron davis radiator and oil cooler
-Tick pushrods
-LS6 motor
-RPM Trans and diff
-Wideband and boost gauge
-243 heads
-Meth pump and controller [Trying to get rid of still]

More to come. A lot of changes are happening so stay tuned
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Default A lot of changes lol

So a lot of changes in my life personally took ALOT of time from the build. Also a lot of changes on the car have happened.

First off, I ditched the WHOLE Procharger setup. I know right lol....but it gets better I promise. After selling the Procharger setup and ditching that whole idea I pondered on what setup I wanted. I sold the Procharger because it was going to end up being ALOT of money for only 650whp. The P1 doesn't really make much so I figured id rathe do something I really want than just settle for something. So I came across a thread on here.... search up s480 single turbo setup with A/C and you'll find it.

Basically I bought a CX Racing c6 corvette kit. Manifolds [hot side], charge piping, intercooler kit. Ive already mocked up the kit and it fits okay so far, obviously small changes need to be made since its made for a c6. Pretty happy with the kits quality.

Stay tuned for pictures of the kit.

In other news the motor and drivetrain is in the car "fully", but still need to button up a few things. Will make updates when I can. More pictures and info to come!

Motor complete [minus rockers installed].

Last edited by Coling1124; 04-15-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Kit looks good so far. Obviously plan on heat wrapping it. Also plan on making some sort of a shield for the brake master cylinder. On top of that a coil pack relocation is needed cause I can see burnt plug wires in my future lol.

Last edited by Coling1124; 04-16-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Grandpa Owned" 99 FRC Blower Build Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:19 AM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Im curious to see how easy it is to make that turbo kit work on an ls1. Id put one on myself if its not too bad but my A&A kit has been problem free for years.

Last edited by ascastil; 04-16-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Originally Posted by ascastil
Im curious to see how easy it is to make that turbo kit work on an ls1. Id put one on myself if its not too bad but my A&A kit has been problem free for years.
Its super easy, 3 people that I know of have done it so far and they have no issues with it. You have to do very minimal changes to the kit. Honestly the only downside to this kit is its going to be a hassle to change spark plugs now just the way the manifold are designed.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Coling1124
Advanced

Quick Reply: "Grandpa Owned" 99 FRC Blower Build Thread