C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump fix - now ps pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:40 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
i bought a kit here in Norway, see picture
the puller I see will work, but the installer (like the upper on the left in the Amazone kit) the thinner threads furthest out will not hook inside the shaft. Is it a wrong kit?
Pretty sure it is a multi use application.

In this case, cut the smaller threads off leaving just the 3/8" section. At least it worked for me with the kit I bought years ago from Summit.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsumark
This is good info to know...I'm gonna check out the Idler and PS pulley tomorrow...After reading this thread I may just go pick up an LS2 pulley and swap that out...I think the previous owner may have swapped out the bracket in my car for a later one....I don't know for sure....Can anyone confirm by this pic?
Can't tell from the pic. You need to look down by the idler pulley. This is the older, weaker one. Notice how it's open next to the idler pulley. Not sure why they set the photos this way, but they're upside down.

This is the newer one where it's filled in next to the idler. It's stronger, but I've been able to break them in a few instances.

Bret

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance; 11-28-2017 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
romandian (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
Can't tell from the pic. You need to look down by the idler pulley. This is the older, weaker one. Notice how it's open next to the idler pulley. Not sure why they set the photos this way, but they're upside down.

This is the newer one where it's filled in next to the idler. It's stronger, but I've been able to break them in a few instances.

Bret

On the ECS Novi 1500 kit this (on my 98 open) part of the bracket is cut away and a new bracket just for the idler pulley is installed directly on the engine. Sweet, permanent fix :-)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Pretty sure it is a multi use application.

In this case, cut the smaller threads off leaving just the 3/8" section. At least it worked for me with the kit I bought years ago from Summit.
You were right, I removed/cut the outher section, and now it's threading nicely in there.

Another thing; when removing the old one, should I try to heat the base of the old pulley first? Or will the shaft be heated and expand just as much?

Last edited by CorvetteC5Norway; 11-29-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:55 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Mine came off without any heat. I'm sure the pump itself will tolerate heat, but I'd be cautious in case I melted any seals etc.

If it feels really tight, load it up with the bolt and lightly tap on the bolt head itself to help shock it free a little when there is tension on it.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (11-30-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Succsess! Did the job today, and the pulleys slid right off and on without to much force. Learned how to assemble the belt at the same time. One little hickup, I took the car for a spin, and when back I saw that the belt had jumped 1 rib towards the engine on the SC. That is strange, since the belt had not jumped a rib on the balancer, and the belt runs from the ps pulley past balancer to the SC. Adjusted the ps pulley a notch out again, and no belt jump when reving to the revlimiter. I will see if it stays in place when driving next time, or maybe have it laser aligned. 15 min job to adjust the pulley, so no big deal 😁

Last edited by CorvetteC5Norway; 12-09-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Waterpump fix - now ps pulley?