C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much boost is too much on SBE LS6 on 91 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Been running water meth for years and never have any issues from detonation. I know most here go on about how pure meth is best, but I use what I think is best for me.
Could a make a few more HP with pure meth? Maybe, but I'm not out to set records. I just agree with what's been posted and think the cooling of water adds some safety.
Added bonus is it's easier on the meth system and my alky pump has never had an issue, where many of those that run pure meth seem to have to rebuild every few years.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Been running water meth for years and never have any issues from detonation. I know most here go on about how pure meth is best, but I use what I think is best for me.
Could a make a few more HP with pure meth? Maybe, but I'm not out to set records. I just agree with what's been posted and think the cooling of water adds some safety.
Added bonus is it's easier on the meth system and my alky pump has never had an issue, where many of those that run pure meth seem to have to rebuild every few years.
Don't forget that water has an infinite octane rating! Haha
Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Water cools far better than methanol could ever hope to.
Charge air temps have a lot less to do with preignition and detonation than people think. Methanol does a slightly better job of cooling charge temps because it evaporates more readily than water, but water absorbs twice as much heat energy as methanol when it is converted to gas. It also takes twice as much energy to raise the temperature of water at room temps as it does methanol. Water wins in the cooling department, hands down.

The second problem is that methanol still burns. It might cool charge temps slightly, but its still going to ignite and produce heat. The water will not. Methanol's only benefit here is that its 'slightly' cooler than gasoline. It will still force heat into pistons, it will still cause rings to expand. For guys running cast pistons and tight ring gaps, water wins here too. During compression, the temperature of water is raised high enough that it flashes to steam before ignition. This removes so much heat from the cylinder that it makes detonation or pre-ignition almost impossible. Methanol is still able to detonate in this situation. It will remove some heat, but if it has evaporated, it takes far less energy to raise its temperature, and therefore its still very possible to obtain pre-ignition temperatures during compression.

So for guys running cast pistons that need to stay cool to prevent cracking, and tight ring gaps that need to stay cool to prevent expansion, water beats methanol every time.

If you have forged pistons and preferable ring gaps, methanol is the way to go.
If you are out of fuel injector and need supplemental fuel to make more power, methanol is the way to go.
If you have a wild combo but the CFM flow of your heads isn't up to the task, methanol will cool the charge air better and allow more power for a given port size.

But for pure cooling purposes, water is king.
I agree that water has a higher latent heat of vaporization than methanol but I don't agree is that water beats methanol hands down. What has to happen in order for water to do its job? It has to change phase to a gas. If it doesn't change phase, then it's not nearly as effective as methanol or ethanol. Even if you spray it in a fine mist, much of it will hit walls and turn back to larger particles. Sure, the combustion chambers are hot enough to boil water, but when you increase pressure on the compression stroke, what happens to the ability of water to change phase? It's decreased tremendously and so much of it doesn't change phase until it's blown out the exhaust port, after the pressure drops. It also has time working against it. Methanol enters the charge pipe and the air charge temperatures are almost always enough to begin the phase changing immediately. That's not the case with water. At 15psi boost water should begin boiling at 250 degrees. If we were dealing with much higher temperatures at low pressures, I agree things would be drastically different. I'd love to know and see how the test models were set up back in the WWII days. I would love to come up with a good way to quantify all the data between various levels of methanol and water.

As for Methanol being a fuel and there being an issue with the fact that it burns, I say "so what"? The burning of the fuel isn't what causes the heat in the first place, it's the quick rise in pressure.

Never enough time to discuss these things.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM
typeav
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I agree that water has a higher latent heat of vaporization than methanol but I don't agree is that water beats methanol hands down.
I didn't get your statement clear, are you for Water / Methanol mix or Pure Methanol ?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by typeav
I didn't get your statement clear, are you for Water / Methanol mix or Pure Methanol ?
I'm sure he is for testing to see what is better for each and every individual user

Higher percentage of water requires much finer control over quantities used at any given time

Higher percentage of methanol...to 100%...is pretty idiot proof and requires little control over flow. Just dump loads in

It's quite easy to see why most choose the latter.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

I agree that water has a higher latent heat of vaporization than methanol but I don't agree is that water beats methanol hands down. What has to happen in order for water to do its job? It has to change phase to a gas. If it doesn't change phase, then it's not nearly as effective as methanol or ethanol. Even if you spray it in a fine mist, much of it will hit walls and turn back to larger particles. Sure, the combustion chambers are hot enough to boil water, but when you increase pressure on the compression stroke, what happens to the ability of water to change phase? It's decreased tremendously and so much of it doesn't change phase until it's blown out the exhaust port, after the pressure drops. It also has time working against it. Methanol enters the charge pipe and the air charge temperatures are almost always enough to begin the phase changing immediately. That's not the case with water. At 15psi boost water should begin boiling at 250 degrees. If we were dealing with much higher temperatures at low pressures, I agree things would be drastically different. I'd love to know and see how the test models were set up back in the WWII days. I would love to come up with a good way to quantify all the data between various levels of methanol and water.

As for Methanol being a fuel and there being an issue with the fact that it burns, I say "so what"? The burning of the fuel isn't what causes the heat in the first place, it's the quick rise in pressure.

Never enough time to discuss these things.
Water doesn't help cooling intake much at all. As you say you need pretty high IATs to get the water hot enough to change phase (but don't forget it still abosorbs a stupid amount of heat no matter the phase!). In the WW2 days OATs would be more than high enough as the aftercooling was primitive (if they had any at all).

With modern intercooling the real benefit of water, and what the like of WRC teams use it for, is controlling the flame front speed and effectively having amazing dept. control.

These guys used to meter the water like fuel. This allowed high comp engines that would run over 3bar back in the day. They used to say that was on pump fuel to! They were able to do this because they could keep the flame front speeds down and stop dept. using the water.

In real world terms, and as Steve said above, without loads of testing and very fine control of the flow you are never going to see these kind of benefits. plus it's not as easy as meth!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by typeav
I'm a huge fan of methanol and I've learned that you gotta be careful on how much you spray since spraying too much can create a huge delta between cylinders, especially the fronts. Yes, there are factors that affect that and individual port injection is an option. I've considered that but feel that good control over flow is important and when spraying into individual cylinders, the system would have really small individual orifices that could get clogged more easily. Yes, a low micron filter could be placed upstream, but you could end up with small particles in the lines, post-filter during assembly. No good, practical way that I've come up with to create monitoring for each cylinder's flow, so I've avoided doing it. I've got some ideas that I might play with on my new build, I'm still contemplating it though.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I'm sure he is for testing to see what is better for each and every individual user

Higher percentage of water requires much finer control over quantities used at any given time

Higher percentage of methanol...to 100%...is pretty idiot proof and requires little control over flow. Just dump loads in

It's quite easy to see why most choose the latter.
So far, I'm a much greater fan of methanol for sure. I've had great success running it.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Water doesn't help cooling intake much at all. As you say you need pretty high IATs to get the water hot enough to change phase (but don't forget it still abosorbs a stupid amount of heat no matter the phase!). In the WW2 days OATs would be more than high enough as the aftercooling was primitive (if they had any at all).

With modern intercooling the real benefit of water, and what the like of WRC teams use it for, is controlling the flame front speed and effectively having amazing dept. control.

These guys used to meter the water like fuel. This allowed high comp engines that would run over 3bar back in the day. They used to say that was on pump fuel to! They were able to do this because they could keep the flame front speeds down and stop dept. using the water.

In real world terms, and as Steve said above, without loads of testing and very fine control of the flow you are never going to see these kind of benefits. plus it's not as easy as meth!
That's my thoughts as well. I'm just not a big fan of running H20 and nobody's convinced me otherwise. I've seen lots of big talk, but the fact is that I've never watched an impressive pass happen in a car, walked up to the owner and asked his setup and heard "water injection" come out of their mouths. Ever since I got involved with his car, ALGZ06 (Albert) has beat the **** out of his 3700lb C5Z on the track and street for years, running 9.1x's and 9.0x's before it finally broke a rod. He's running E85 now but still spraying some meth. I'm not opposed to listening to how others achieved their success, but I'm not inclined to change my methods before I see something impressive happen.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

That's my thoughts as well. I'm just not a big fan of running H20 and nobody's convinced me otherwise. I've seen lots of big talk, but the fact is that I've never watched an impressive pass happen in a car, walked up to the owner and asked his setup and heard "water injection" come out of their mouths. Ever since I got involved with his car, ALGZ06 (Albert) has beat the **** out of his 3700lb C5Z on the track and street for years, running 9.1x's and 9.0x's before it finally broke a rod. He's running E85 now but still spraying some meth. I'm not opposed to listening to how others achieved their success, but I'm not inclined to change my methods before I see something impressive happen.

You have to remember the aftermarket scene is pretty simple. You can't have complex systems that will only work in one senario. For example the combustion chamber design of any aftermarket head probably isn't the best it can be because they have to work with pretty much any aftermarket piston/rod combo. If you could package the bottom end with a set of heads you could probably improve the combustion chamber design and a get less dept prone chamber. But who wants to A) spend the time money and effort designing this (company's like Steve Morris might - but they sell complete packages / build their own top to bottom engines) and B) who would want to buy it as it's probably going to cost more and be much more limited.

Same goes for a water injection system. To get a system calibrated correctly would take a lot of tuning and would be different for each setup. Also as no one really uses it there is little knowledge out there about it. Everyone knows and uses meth and it's simpler to run. So everyone does!

What interesting is any form of chemical injection has only JUST started being used on a real OEM cars (not a car built for homologation only) on the M4. I wonder why they went water rather than a branded mix?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:46 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

till it breaks. then a quarter turn off

Quick Reply: How much boost is too much on SBE LS6 on 91 Octane