C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

450 install in Early C5 canister

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice to see some love for the 97-98 rails, since I'm planning on using them on my car
You can get adjustable regulators sans vette tax--they are the same style of Bosch regulator used in many German cars: http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php...roducts_id=673
I don't know if that specific one fits the 97-98 rails, but I plan on testing it eventually. It looks like it should fit.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
Jimbo - might be able to find this cheaper - think I got if for 99 - but this might be of interest. This would let you set your base pressure a little lower to maybe get a bit more out of your pump...

http://www.zip-corvette.com/97-04-c5...regulator.html

With the high pressure E85 450 - I'm thinking of raising the pressure a little bit (maybe base at 60 or 65) - in hopes of getting a little more room out of the 80# injectors.
I switched out the regular 450 and swapped in the e85 pump. I also run ID1000 injectors now. I do like those adjustable FPR's though. Id like to set my pressure right at 58psi to better correspond with what the OS expects to see.

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Nice to see some love for the 97-98 rails, since I'm planning on using them on my car
You can get adjustable regulators sans vette tax--they are the same style of Bosch regulator used in many German cars: http://www.usrallyteam.com/ithey.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1 0_119&products_id=673
I don't know if that specific one fits the 97-98 rails, but I plan on testing it eventually. It looks like it should fit.
I wish they published dimensional specs on those! I have a spare stock regulator I could measure.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 AM
DKS2K
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 was having fuel pressure after installing the 340 stealth in the stock canister.. but after cutting the bottom of the canister and have the sock hang out of the bottom. No more fuel pressure problem. I also change out to a Walbro 450 in the stock canister just with the bottom cut open.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

lemme see if I can find my pump. I have a 450 in a 00 bucket - fit with a little modification.

From my research, 2x 450s will not support 1000rwhp on e85

I am going 450 intank for normal driving and a boost activated magnafuel 4303 or the new Aeromotive brushless Eliminator external.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Guys, figured I would revive this thread a bit. I have yet to go through with a larger pump install as I tend to think about things for way too long before I actually do it (not a bad thing I suppose )

Here is my quick thread from a little over a year ago and my last post in the thread may help with the bucket running dry concern.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ank-setup.html

Utilizing the radium jet pump, it can be plumbed one of two ways,
  • Can feed the top port from the return line of a regulator
  • Or feed it from a tee in the feed line off the pump pressure out.
Could run the suction side of the jet pump from the "passive" side of the tank ( hose out to the bottom of the tank).

Now, I am sure you could easily just do as others have said, eliminate the bucket completely, weld a stainless rod to the hat and mount the pump backwards so the filter sock is towards the rear of the tank so fuel will always go back to it under acceleration.

But for the guys that have kept their bucket with a 340+ pump, well then this may be the way to go.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

while everybody is here:

on a 99, does the return from the regulator dump into the bucket? and could an evaporation line be used for return?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes the return dumps into the bucket and I don't know about the evap line. I don't know if the evap lines and tank fittings have a check valve or something in there to keep anything unwanted from entering the tanks.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The evap line is only 1/4" diameter, probably wouldn't work well as a return.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
The evap line is only 1/4" diameter, probably wouldn't work well as a return.
I thought it was 5/16" but you maybe right. Either way it's not enough.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 AM
romandian
Drifting

would you guys know where it enters the tank (passenger side i assume)? so far i couldnt locate it, there is some weird stuff behind the rear wheel. maybe at least the fitting could be used.

Last edited by romandian; 07-13-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by romandian
would you guys know where it enters the tank (passenger side i assume)? so far i couldnt locate it, there is some weird stuff behind the rear wheel. mayby at least the fitting could be used.
What year is your car? I've had fuel tanks from a '99 and fuel tanks from an '01 and the all evap ports were not in the same locations.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:19 AM
romandian
Drifting

its 1999.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by romandian
its 1999.
I have the 1999 fuel tanks sitting empty in my shed, I'll snap some pics for you tonight.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

A bit of an update to this thread...

So - Houston I have a problem.... The system collectively works just fine, no issues with pressure, holds strong and is quiet!

The problem - randomly the pump will not come on. I was fighting this a bit over the summer and thought maybe something related to the heat - if I just 'Tap' the fuel tank, the pump comes on - which led me to believe I had a faulty pump with a flat spot. Replaced the pump (they are cheap enough) and the issue just reared it's head again this morning....

The relay is clicking, there is power to the pump itself, it's just not turning on unless I tap it.... Now with this happening to two pumps, I'm wondering if the pump is being overheated in the canister....

Any thoughts? my next step will be to ditch the canister - just functionally appears to be working just fine (when it powers on)...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

So - Houston I have a problem.... The system collectively works just fine, no issues with pressure, holds strong and is quiet!

The problem - randomly the pump will not come on. I was fighting this a bit over the summer and thought maybe something related to the heat - if I just 'Tap' the fuel tank, the pump comes on - which led me to believe I had a faulty pump with a flat spot. Replaced the pump (they are cheap enough) and the issue just reared it's head again this morning....

The relay is clicking, there is power to the pump itself, it's just not turning on unless I tap it.... Now with this happening to two pumps, I'm wondering if the pump is being overheated in the canister....

Any thoughts? my next step will be to ditch the canister - just functionally appears to be working just fine (when it powers on)...
You have adequate wiring for the pump I assume?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mykream
You have adequate wiring for the pump I assume?
^ That was my first thought. The pins in the OEM bulkhead are rated for very low current, look into upgrading that bulkhead with the one Racetronix offers and the internal wiring with proper fuel submersible wiring and I bet your problem goes away.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 PM
DKS2K
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like my problem I had too. I just disconnected the connector for the fuel pump and clean the pins. Mine was all corroded up.

Get notified of new replies

To 450 install in Early C5 canister

Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

I find intermittent issues are most always electrical, not mechanical
Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Right - I looked at all of this over the summer. Regarding the internal wires, I had the LPE 255 drop in prior, so I re-used the internal pump wiring from that - which is upgraded from the stock internal wiring. I also put larger gauge wiring into the stock pigtail for the pump with new connectors from Napa, with an additional grounding strap from the bulkhead to the frame.

I can confirm there is 12v at the physical pigtail going into the bulkhead. As I mentioned, once the pump is running, it runs great... just not sure why it has these intermittent 'dead' spots.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:25 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Went ahead and ordered a new harness, I’m doubting the stock connector now.... fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 450 install in Early C5 canister