C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

450 install in Early C5 canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Installed new harness tonight, confirmed 12v at plug when cycling key, pump still not powering on.

Im scratching my head now. Could it really be the physical bulkhead connector? Pins look fine.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Which plug is showing 12V? The one on the hat or the one actually plugged into the pump?

Could be your pump is dead.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Which plug is showing 12V? The one on the hat or the one actually plugged into the pump?

Could be your pump is dead.
The 12v is at the hat plugging into the bulkhead.
The reason I attached the harness, I initially was just checking the bulkhead plug and when I pulled the plug out and put it back in, I cycled the key and the pump came on. Figured end of story, it's the connector...

I cannot even get the pump to come on at all regardless of what i do at the bulk head - hell I just put a pin connector on it with a lead and hooked it to 12v, still nothing.

In progress of pulling the hanger out now. Guess my question would be - it's referenced above about the stock bulkhead connector not being able to handle the higher current - is there an aftermarket replacement for the stock one - or are we talking about drilling into the bulkhead or tank and putting a new bulkhead wire harness in?

Thanks for the help,
John
Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Racetronix sells a replacment for the stock bulkhead that has a higher current capacity. I actually bought one to use on my DIY dual pump hanger recently.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:09 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

This one?

https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=bca-4w
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
Yup, they have an option that comes with intank and external pigtails as well
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a link to that. The yellow ones are just stock replacements which is fine if you add a 2nd
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

New connector installed, pump is back to running.

I tested the old connector and I’m getting 12v on both sides, but appears there is some corrosion on the pins, so hopefully just a matter of pins not having good contact. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Old thread but wanted to provide an update.

Even with the new connector I still saw random problems. I ended up converting the grounding terminal on the bulkhead to a power line to split the load and it’s been running great since.

Grounded the pump to the bulkhead itself and grounded the Bulkhead to the frame.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:10 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Even with the new connector I still saw random problems. I ended up converting the grounding terminal on the bulkhead to a power line to split the load and it’s been running great since.

Grounded the pump to the bulkhead itself and grounded the Bulkhead to the frame.
I did the same thing because I thought I was chasing a fuel issue.. Put another hot lead where the ground wire was and shared the extra pin.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mykream
I did the same thing because I thought I was chasing a fuel issue.. Put another hot lead where the ground wire was and shared the extra pin.
reviving my own thread is fine right?

I did run a second positive lead as suggested and I just got my 1 year reminder on amazon photo . Been working great, no issues! Really happy with this setup! Simple and effective.

The following 2 users liked this post by SmoothFRC:
STEALTH 99 C5 (07-11-2020), Turpid porpoise (07-11-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:02 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

reviving my own thread is fine right?

I did run a second positive lead as suggested and I just got my 1 year reminder on amazon photo . Been working great, no issues! Really happy with this setup! Simple and effective.
I would be upset if you didn't hahaha

Agreed, this setup is very simple and works great.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothFRC (07-13-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm a dummy. Can you clarify positive to gourd?? And where are u getting your second feed from. If you have pics that would be great.
I have a 99 and the bulk head is grounded already. Are you saying ground the bulk head to the frame????

Last edited by helga203; 07-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helga203
I'm a dummy. Can you clarify positive to gourd?? And where are u getting your second feed from. If you have pics that would be great.
The bulkhead electrical connector into the pump has 4 pins, one is a positive for the pump, one is a ground. The other two are for the level sensor. Take the ground wire from the pump inside the tank and ground it to the strip that's bent off the bulkhead plate itself. Then take the positive wire and splice another to it and run it them both the positive bulkhead connector and the original ground pins. Then combine them both on the outside back into one wire and to the relay harness.. And take a ground wire and attach it to one of the pump mount plate bolts to the frame rail.
SmoothFRC (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 01:03 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Cannot believe I cannot find a picture of the inside.... here is the plug with two power wires, just used the physical bulkhead as a grounding point and grounded it to the frame
mykream (07-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 450 install in Early C5 canister