C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo system opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM
blue02ZO6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turbo system opinions

This might be a little long sorry in advance.
I have a 2002 ZO6 with STS turbo kit and their are some weird things I'm not used to. The turbos are only on the springs no controller. They have hoses going all the way from the to the top of the intercooler to the back of the car to the bottom of the waste gates (tops open). I know on my last race car I had it from the compressor cover to the bottom of the gates and the top to the controller. I don't know why they run so far and should I just move them.

Also the PCV system has a boost switch and another switch that has three hoses on it. 1 goes to turbo air filter tube. 2 goes to the Right valve cover. 3 goes to the throttle body. I assume when the boost switch sees pressure it closes the other switch to not allow pressure into the engine(seams crazy). It also had a the original Valley cover to PCV valve with a check valve in it. I added a catch can and removed PCV valve but left the check valve to not let pressure in the engine.

I would like to get thoughts on removing the two switches and capping off the Throttle body and intake for original PCV. I would then run the valley and valve cover to the catch can with the air filter tube pulling air on the other side of the catch can. I don't need to worry any emissions testing.
Any thoughts are great
Thanks
Kevin
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by blue02ZO6
This might be a little long sorry in advance.
I have a 2002 ZO6 with STS turbo kit and their are some weird things I'm not used to. The turbos are only on the springs no controller. They have hoses going all the way from the to the top of the intercooler to the back of the car to the bottom of the waste gates (tops open). I know on my last race car I had it from the compressor cover to the bottom of the gates and the top to the controller. I don't know why they run so far and should I just move them.

Also the PCV system has a boost switch and another switch that has three hoses on it. 1 goes to turbo air filter tube. 2 goes to the Right valve cover. 3 goes to the throttle body. I assume when the boost switch sees pressure it closes the other switch to not allow pressure into the engine(seams crazy). It also had a the original Valley cover to PCV valve with a check valve in it. I added a catch can and removed PCV valve but left the check valve to not let pressure in the engine.

I would like to get thoughts on removing the two switches and capping off the Throttle body and intake for original PCV. I would then run the valley and valve cover to the catch can with the air filter tube pulling air on the other side of the catch can. I don't need to worry any emissions testing.
Any thoughts are great
Thanks
Kevin
Post pictures. I can't figure out what exactly you are describing. I don't know what you mean by "boost switch."

Yes you could drill/tap the compressor covers for the wastegate boost reference but if the setup is working I don't know why you would want to change it.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM
blue02ZO6
Advanced

This is PCV Switch
1psi boost switch or hobbs switch maybe
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM
blue02ZO6
Advanced

The switch on bottom goes to the bottom of waste gates.
If you look at the PCV switch the hose on right goes to valve cover the hose on left bottom goes to the throttle body the one on left top goes to the air filter tube.
It just seams like a strange set up. My last car was a single turbo made over 1000hp and just ran two -12 fittings from the valley cover to a catch tank. I'm not sure if STS did this stuff for emissions or what.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by blue02ZO6
The switch on bottom goes to the bottom of waste gates.
If you look at the PCV switch the hose on right goes to valve cover the hose on left bottom goes to the throttle body the one on left top goes to the air filter tube.
It just seams like a strange set up. My last car was a single turbo made over 1000hp and just ran two -12 fittings from the valley cover to a catch tank. I'm not sure if STS did this stuff for emissions or what.
I’d ditch that PCV switch and run a mighty mouse pcv can. Mighty mouse includes a diagram of how to set it up correctly on these motors.

On my setup I have his PCV can connected to a 10AN fitting on the pass. valve cover and the PCV fitting attached to the intake manifold just behind the throttle body. On the other side I have his draft can with a 10AN from the valve cover and another 10AN to my turbo’s intake for the clean side.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM
blue02ZO6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise

I’d ditch that PCV switch and run a mighty mouse pcv can. Mighty mouse includes a diagram of how to set it up correctly on these motors.

On my setup I have his PCV can connected to a 10AN fitting on the pass. valve cover and the PCV fitting attached to the intake manifold just behind the throttle body. On the other side I have his draft can with a 10AN from the valve cover and another 10AN to my turbo’s intake for the clean side.
Thanks will look into their kit

Get notified of new replies

To turbo system opinions

Quick Reply: turbo system opinions