C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Oil on plug threads

New forged motor, new valve seals, Doesn’t smoke on start up or at all that I can tell of, they have it tuned pretty rich 10.5:1 and no oil consumption that I can tell of. 16-18psi, meth, Colorado speed catch can, Have 1500 miles on motor, was gonna change to br6ef’s and gap to .025

I see some people say oil on the threads is nothing to worry about and then I see some people making a big deal about it.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Fishmasterdan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the tune fixed. Then worry about it.
Could be lots of things. Too cold plug. To much fuel. Plug not torqued. New motor rings not seated yet. Low timing.
I got oil on my plugs till about 20 passes.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:02 AM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m gonna show them to my tuner when I get it retuned for the new Parts, and I suppose your right, I may have used excessive oil on the rings and cylinder walls and could have done this.

The plug also looks like it’s fouled out to me and I swear the car has been feeling down on power

The only other explanations I see is “While it may look like dirty oil, it isn't, this is unburnt fuel that all the lighter elements in the fuel have boiled off leaving the heavier hydrocarbon components behind. This is not unusual to find even on race engines. I wouldn't have known this myself if I hadn't run acrossed the explanation from a very respected pro engine builder on another site. This "fuel" is here because the seal(tapered seat or gasket) is above the threads but the threads themselves are shielded from the actual combustion process. Almost sounds crazy but it is true.”
Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Fishmasterdan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I started a new engine I have fouled the plugs on the first couple attempts at tuning. Get it close on the tune then swap to new plugs. Run it a bit then swap plugs again.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil on plug threads

Quick Reply: Oil on plug threads