C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSA Supercharger kit on base manual C5

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,139 Likes on 1,936 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm going to guess Dorman.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
I'm going to guess Dorman.
He would have spent a hell of a lot of time grinding, sanding, and filling if so...
Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
What intake manifold is that?
Intake Manifold is a ported TPIS LS6 with a LS2 90mm tb
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I just figured low compression so I wont limit myself on boost. If money wasnt an issue my pick would always be a TT over all. And new for new the +$1k I save on LSA vs centri can help with meth or better fuel system or spray, plus I like to be a lil diff. All the vettes I see my way have a centri which I know is also a good setup, I just dnt want to be another centri vette. This wont be a dedicated race car, I tend to spend over an hour in traffic when driving to or from work, plan for it to be a balanced street car whether I'm driving to work, getting a few runs in or just cruising the mountains or long distance trips,. More street runs vs strip or drag and possibly autocross later down the line. I think the LSA would have nicer low end tq too, majority of the centri guys here only bring their cars out for street runs and run full time DRs.

Last edited by GradyBaby16; 03-13-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GradyBaby16
Intake Manifold is a ported TPIS LS6 with a LS2 90mm tb
Weird, they must have updated the design. I have that exact same manifold and the neck looks nothing like that.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 AM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Weird, they must have updated the design. I have that exact same manifold and the neck looks nothing like that.
Do you mind posting a picture of yours?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GradyBaby16
Do you mind posting a picture of yours?

How long have you had yours? I put this on my car in 2009 or 2010, it's been awhile. This picture is several years old and things have changed under the hood since then, but you can see the difference in the neck. Mine looks just like what is on the website.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:30 AM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts

That's a VERY tidy engine bay! Cleaner than the OUTSIDE of a lot of cars. Where did you hide your Coil Packs?
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JumboShrimp
That's a VERY tidy engine bay! Cleaner than the OUTSIDE of a lot of cars. Where did you hide your Coil Packs?
Thanks! I'll post some updated pics later, I cleaned it up even more and hid some of the plumbing and wiring. The coil packs are next to the battery, you can see the bracket I made out of aluminum and sprayed black. I have a cover that encloses that compartment and you can't see them at all. The drivers side are hidden inside the fender, which you do not have to take off to access them.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks very nice and clean!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks! I'll post some updated pics later, I cleaned it up even more and hid some of the plumbing and wiring. The coil packs are next to the battery, you can see the bracket I made out of aluminum and sprayed black. I have a cover that encloses that compartment and you can't see them at all. The drivers side are hidden inside the fender, which you do not have to take off to access them.
Anxious to see some of the pics. Especially the ones in the fender area - a lot of horror stories about mounting them there. Also interested in the battery cover - my car doesn't have one. Are they an OEM item?
Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:14 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

How long have you had yours? I put this on my car in 2009 or 2010, it's been awhile. This picture is several years old and things have changed under the hood since then, but you can see the difference in the neck. Mine looks just like what is on the website.
Love the bay, yeah my neck doesnt look remotely close to that. I got mine 2017 but also second hand through a local performance shop that did additional porting so who knows.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:23 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JumboShrimp
Anxious to see some of the pics. Especially the ones in the fender area - a lot of horror stories about mounting them there. Also interested in the battery cover - my car doesn't have one. Are they an OEM item?
Thanks!!
I wonder if its something similar to this. I got one online when I first got my car cause I couldnt stand that exposed corner and battery, made the bay look way better. I knew they came black plastic, carbon fiber, and paint matched. Some even came vented with drilled holes. If I could do it again I would have just made it myself after finding out how simple it was for the price

Old 12-18-2019, 04:13 PM
ridiqls
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 03-31-2022, 02:56 PM
davisz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i know this is an old thread, but i need some serious technical advice

I purchased a 2000 Corvette convertible that was purportedly customized way back in 01-02, by a place called Karl's Kustoms in Des Moines Iowa, they basically converted it to a z06 underneath and installed lth, full corsa exhaust, high flow cats and everything, probably since they also own Karl's Chevrolet and they wanted it to be compliant if they sold it from there, it was also given a lingenfelter intercooled supercharger kit, Magnusson with Lingenfelter programmer to install their tune. It only has 44000 miles and the custom paint still looks like glass, they painted rally stripes out of red fire mist or something similar, against the raven black they look awesome, also the factory wheels appear to be powder coated black. The car is super nice, and i'm sure back in the day she was a veritable rocket ship. But fast forward 22 years later and i just want to be a little more competitive on the street. A little more oomph if you will. It is a 6 spd M6, and has 3.42 rear gears, so low end is incredible with the supercharger. I am at a crossroads, the notorious piston slap drives me absolutely crazy as i had a 67 Chevelle ss 396 that had a spun rod bearing that sounded similar. The ls1 in this car is strong and the knock goes away after about 30-60 seconds, never to be heard again, until the next time you climb in your super hot sexxxy corvette, in front of everyone and start it up and it sounds like it is about to creator. so i have 3 options that i have looked at very thoroughly. 1. get a 6.0 short block and put either tsp or trickflow heads and cam, the pros to this, no more p.s., a newer block, with newer rectangular port heads. the cons, trying to find a good 6.0 that has been rebuilt correctly, with enough compression as to not lose power over my ls1, and losing boost because of the larger cylinder bore. I have tried to find a larger front pulley for my Maggie and they don't seem to exist anywhere anymore. 2. rebuild with new pistons, that costs about as much as a built 6.0 shortblock, might as well stroke her while i'm at it, but then it has even more cubes than the 6.0 so back to way less boost as i understand, almost negating having a s/c. 3. i found a 2015 zl1 lsa complete from gas tank to radiator, including the tr6060 transmission which i can't use but can sell to recoup some money. But i just read that the LSA motor will not fit in the c5 due to the steering rack location.

Open to suggestions, or ideas but have a few questions as to why the lsa will not fit, but you can run an lsa s/c on your ls1. If the crank pulley is what is hitting the steering rack, because of the c5-s "corvette" feed, why couldn't i just transfer all of my old pulleys to the new block to get the same distance from the rack, and if i did that, how on earth would the "fixed in place" supercharger pulley line up with everything? and doesn't that mean that it wouldn't line up with an lsa supercharger on an ls1 if it sticks out so far as to change the lower crank pulley location that much? Just getting more confused, to the point i'm about ready to just put a cam and heads on an engine that sounds like it is chewing on marbles.

Last edited by davisz; 03-31-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:54 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,139 Likes on 1,936 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by davisz
But i just read that the LSA motor will not fit in the c5 due to the steering rack location.

Open to suggestions, or ideas but have a few questions as to why the lsa will not fit, but you can run an lsa s/c on your ls1.
The LSA has a dedicated blower drive and separate belt. That will never work on a C5 C6 corvette because of the steering rack being right in front of the harmonic balancer.

It is possible to run a full LSA engine in a C5 but you are going to have to redo the whole entire belt drive and accessory belt drive to corvette style spacing.

If you want to see what just the blower looks like in a C5 on and LS1 then check out this thread below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-install.html
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (04-04-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:15 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

a larger blower pulley would spin slower, making less boost (all other things being equal)... but losing boost simply because you're filling bigger chambers ain't necessarily a bad thing - quite the opposite. the same amount of air is going through the engine, only it's under less pressure (lower temperature) & therefore a little safer on the engine (or adding fuel/timing to make the same component stress/risks as before will yield more power).

based on your estimated mod timeline, i'm guessing it's the old-style MP112 or 122 with the press-on snout pulley (versus the 4-bolt quick-change pulley like they used on the later MP112/122 & TVS series). if so, i'm pretty sure they made a conversion kit allowing you to use the 4-bolt pulleys, which will open up your options for dialing in the blower speed. i also have a few 4-bolt sizes that i don't foresee using any more, if you find yourself in the market.

you're right in needing to address the piston slap before doing much else to the engine, and after following tons of PD builds for the last dozen years, i'd recommend not using a stroker motor under a PD blower. it makes plenty-enough torque already & will likely save you from the woes of added bottom end stress. to be honest, an LS1 is more than capable of taking that blower & forcing you to upgrade the rest of the car before asking for more power. that said (especially if it's the MP blower [vs the TVS]), lifting that thing off & porting out the lower manifold to match the heads will pay dividends because it was intentionally pretty restrictive to maintain a CARB cert. you'll also be happier (especially if it's the little blower) keeping the compression up (10:1 or more) & using a bigger snout pulley.

as for LSA shenanigans... you'll see above that running that blower in a C5 (regardless of which engine you put it on) ain't for the faint of heart, so factor that in as well.

Quick Reply: LSA Supercharger kit on base manual C5