C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Replacement - Pinning

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Crank Pulley Replacement (Crank Already Pinned)

My crank should have already been pinned when my A&A kit was installed, assuming the shop did it right. I believe I need to replace my OEM Harmonic Dampener, but am not sure how to go about pinning the replacement. Assuming the crank is already pinned, I need a way to pin the replacement pulley (ATI OEM replacement) so that the holes between the pulley and crank line up.

I'm willing to purchase the ATI Pinning Kit, but the ATI pulley will cover up the existing crank hole and I'm not sure how to do it properly so that the holes line up.

Not great with this sort of thing, open to any suggestions. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 04-09-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Corrected title
Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

You could always just drill a second slot and pin it there.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
You could always just drill a second slot and pin it there.
Well...yeah. But should I do that every time I need to pull the balancer? It'll be full of holes eventually...

I realize I shouldn't have to pull it often, but the point is there should be a way to use the existing hole.

After some research, there are two ways to pin the crank. Horizontally through the front of the crank, which is what I read in the A&A instructions. Then, vertically in two places on the protruding crank snout. I have no idea how mine is pinned, but I'll assume through the front, horizontally, per the A&A instructions.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:02 PM
bluewire
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I made a custom pin when I installed my supercharger and I/W OD balancer, it is half round half square.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:34 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
After some research, there are two ways to pin the crank. Horizontally through the front of the crank, which is what I read in the A&A instructions. Then, vertically in two places on the protruding crank snout. I have no idea how mine is pinned, but I'll assume through the front, horizontally, per the A&A instructions.
yeah, a&a uses the common pin from the front and the ati pin kit goes in from the side so if you pin it that way you won't be using your old pin location unless you want to pin it both ways which wouldn't be a bad idea that way it can't turn on the crank or walk forward... I'm not sure how deep the pins go into the crank with the ati pin kit but I would probably do it opposite of your existing pin hole just in case... someone mentioned a good idea in another thread about drilling out the new balancer to match up with the hole already drilled in the crank... get an old junk crank and install your balancer onto it and then drill it out like you are pinning it and then remove the balancer... now you have a perfect hole in the new balancer that will line up with the hole drilled in your crank
The following users liked this post:
MVP @ TheRaceEngineShop (04-15-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

someone mentioned a good idea in another thread about drilling out the new balancer to match up with the hole already drilled in the crank... get an old junk crank and install your balancer onto it and then drill it out like you are pinning it and then remove the balancer... now you have a perfect hole in the new balancer that will line up with the hole drilled in your crank
Exactly, that's the whole point of the thread. Trying to somehow drill a replacement balancer perfectly so that it matches the current hole drilled in the crank. I just don't know how to do it.

I honestly didn't even think about finding an old, junk crank. That's so simple, yet brilliant.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:58 PM
0MVP @ TheRaceEngineShop
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluewire
I made a custom pin when I installed my supercharger and I/W OD balancer, it is half round half square.

I like that! Something you made?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
bluewire
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Race Engine Shop

I like that! Something you made?
Yes, cut on a wire EDM. I work for a machine tool builder.

www.mcmachinery.com
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, cut on a wire EDM. I work for a machine tool builder.

www.mcmachinery.com

We bought a eagle v9 from you guys lol
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM
bluewire
Drifting

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
We bought a eagle v9 from you guys lol
You must be from Alpha Mold, I have been to your facility for the LU-620.

The V9 is an awesome machine, Here is a video for all to enjoy.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:37 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

You must be from Alpha Mold, I have been to your facility for the LU-620.

The V9 is an awesome machine, Here is a video for all to enjoy.

https://youtu.be/JIBFNDwpCK8
Yep, I love it. Have a couple issues with it but nothings ever perfect.

For the original poster, I would just re-pin it 180 degrees out.
Or just get it machined for a key way if the balancer has one, this is what i opted for.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Wrapped this project up over the weekend.. I went with an Innovators West balancer that I purchased from blownbluez06 here on the forums. He was kind enough to answer a bunch of questions I had and helped with getting the pinning sorted out. The cradle and belt tensioner had to be clearanced, which is standard protocol when installing this bigger 8rib balancer. Otherwise, it seemed like it was pretty straight forward just time consuming.

Going to give the car a big workout in 2 weeks at the upcoming 1/2 Mile event. Can't wait!

A huge THANK YOU to Bret (blownbluez06). He is fantastic to work with, and was always available and answered every one of my questions...no matter how silly they may have been at times. It's absolutely refreshing to work with people like Bret, especially after issues I've had in the past with work being done to this car at a local performance shop. We're lucky in this forum community to have guys like Bret, Jeff (JRitter of EssexParts), and Mark of AMT Motorsports. These three guys have given the best customer service and support I've probably ever had.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 964 Likes on 780 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Bret is a great person to work with, He is helping me also atm
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

he has helped most of the people in this section at one point or another... why did you have to clearance the cradle, do you have lower engine mounts?

Last edited by neutron82; 05-30-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
he has helped most of the people in this section at one point or another... why did you have to clearance the cradle, do you have lower engine mounts?
Yes, the Pfadt Racing engine mounts appeared to have lowered it enough that it had to be clearanced in order to get a belt on the pulley.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

interesting, I also have pfadt mounts and a 10 rib od innovators balancer and didn't have to clearance anything... I guess it's a case by case basis
Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Wrapped this project up over the weekend.. I went with an Innovators West balancer that I purchased from blownbluez06 here on the forums. He was kind enough to answer a bunch of questions I had and helped with getting the pinning sorted out. The cradle and belt tensioner had to be clearanced, which is standard protocol when installing this bigger 8rib balancer. Otherwise, it seemed like it was pretty straight forward just time consuming.

Going to give the car a big workout in 2 weeks at the upcoming 1/2 Mile event. Can't wait!

A huge THANK YOU to Bret (blownbluez06). He is fantastic to work with, and was always available and answered every one of my questions...no matter how silly they may have been at times. It's absolutely refreshing to work with people like Bret, especially after issues I've had in the past with work being done to this car at a local performance shop. We're lucky in this forum community to have guys like Bret, Jeff (JRitter of EssexParts), and Mark of AMT Motorsports. These three guys have given the best customer service and support I've probably ever had.

Thank you for the recognition and praise. It's been my absolute pleasure helping with your build and I appreciate the opportunity.

Bret

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank Pulley Replacement - Pinning

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Replacement - Pinning