C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any nitrous success stories?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 02:09 PM
SCREAMS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any nitrous success stories?

I keep reading all the doom and gloom stories of nitrous.

I have $1400 worth of NX stuff scheduled to be installed in November and would be interested to hear the people who haven't had any problems. My friend's Viper in my sig has a 200 shot of NX and hasn't had one problem in 2 years and he's been through many refills of his huge scuba tank in the trunk.

Comments? :seeya
Old 10-17-2002, 03:13 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (Xstar)

Xstar,

I would not be that concerned...or concerned enough NOT to add the go-fast goodies.

I had a '96 Cobra with nitrous on it for 2 years (had the car for a total of 4 years) and NEVER once had a problem. It was flawless at the track and on the street. I burned up a couple of switches, but that was my fault as they were not rated for the proper amperage.

My TNT kit has worked perfectly for the 5.5 months I've had it on my Z06.

I am very conservative by nature, and would not have put this on my car had I thought it was going to give me a lick of trouble.

And this comes from the perspective of someone who has run a centrifugal blower on a hot-rod Mustang for a decade. Forced induction works wonders on REAL street cars, and nitrous is a great way to get you the extra performance with little hassle.

If you install it right, you chances of problems is decreased DRAMATICALLY.

I'm researching the issue with the TNT fuel solenoids, and so is a quality local shop. It'll get worked out. I'm not concerned.

As far as NX...they have a very, very good reputation.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (WA 2 FST)

I ran mine for almost a year without failure. Solenoids can stick, and that is the fact of N20. Anything mechanical can fail.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Mike TexaSS
Racer

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (ICULUKN-C5)

I just put the TNT 150 shot on my 96 Impala SS with a 409 LT4. I went from 12.3-4's to a new best of 11.40 @ 119 mph! I love this stuff! IIm putting the bottle in the fridge at lunch just so i can pack even more in there!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:14 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (Impala SS Z06)

I think the problem is that people only post their BAD experiences with Nitrous... I ran an NX setup on my car for over a year and had an awesome time with it and it worked flawlessly.

I will most likely be installing it on my new motor as soon as I get a fuel system strong enough to support some nitrous on top of the 436.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:35 PM
newberd
Racer

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (MattG)

I installed mine in May of this year and have been through 8 bottles. What a blast!!! Now that the weather is cooler, its more fun. No problems at all so far. I like the NX quality. As said before, proper installation, all the safety goodies and a little preventative TLC will give as reliable and safe a system as possible. :cheers:
Old 10-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Did have some fun with that stuff. :D

No problem since three years now (knock on wood).

Michael
Old 10-19-2002, 01:16 AM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (Austrian Vette)

I've used Nitrous on two cars over a 8 year period with only two minor problems. I say minor because the engine survived both. A fuel solonoid stuck open and caused a engine fire and damage to my hood. 250 dual stage. A Nitrous soloniod stuck open but I heard it and did not start the car. Through the years I have filled over 100 bottles. Now looking at supercharging and may leave the Nitrous on as well.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Superj
Drifting

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (Steve'01)

I've run the dry kit for the last 6 months and have had no problems. Compared to most mine is a very conservative kit but loads of fun on a stock motor. Wakes it up a bit. :cheers:
Old 10-22-2002, 04:18 PM
SCREAMS
Racer

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (Superj)

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to hear some systems go ok. I'm having it all professionally installed so I hope that will help some.

Are you guys running any gauges? If so, which ones?
Old 10-22-2002, 04:35 PM
newberd
Racer

My pod, fuel pressure & nitrous pressure gauges just came in the door. Taking off early to go get started installing. :cheers:
Old 10-22-2002, 05:20 PM
SCREAMS
Racer

Default Re: Any nitrous success stories? (newberd)

Did you get electric for both of them?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:11 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

fuel pressure, recalibrated WOT (optional), N2O pressure.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:42 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm only running a remote nitrous pressure gauge. It is mechanical.

Not the clearest picture, but you get the point. With the ashtray door shut, you'd never know it was in there. :)
Old 10-22-2002, 09:20 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have had very good success with our nitrous kit on C5 Corvettes, in both durability and power output.

We utilize NX Express components and refine their kit by adding our own proprietary injection plate and strategically mounting the solenoid pack to apply a soft hit as not to damage engine/drivetrian components or induce detonation.

To date, our last installation was to a stock 1998 Corvette C5 Convertable and it comfortably made 424 RWHP and 527 RWTQ.

The entire package is $1895.00 installed which includes dyno testing and tuning. If you would like more information, feel free to give us a call.

Nitrous Oxide systems can be very durable if installed and engineered to the vehicle correctly. No kit should be adapted to any vehicle, but rather integrated into it for lasting durability and O.E.M. appearence.

Regards,
DynoTech Engineering Inc.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:18 AM
Steve'01
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with WA 2FST. looks like my set up except the NX gauge on mine is Autometer Carbon fiber. It is not easy to run the line up to the gauge. There is a electic sender unit out now from Nitrous express, I beleive around $250 to $300, a bit pricy and not sure how accurate.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Loud Mouth
Instructor

Xstar, I am one with a doom and gloom story, however I still use the gas and plan to go 150 shot (NX) next season. I installed my kit over a two month period and wired everything perfect. I checked out the car with AutoTap and used a MAFT to get the numbers just right. I started out with a 50 shot and worked up to 75 when I discovered the fuel noid was stuck shut! I shot the car with no fuel at least once before I found the problem. I think the gas is great but it has more risk than N/A HP. I talked to many speed shops and they are finding NX fuel noid failures more than most know. I changed to NOS noids and for now things are good. Glad that noid did not fail with 100-150 shot! Go for the gas, just be prepaired to pay when you play!!
Loud Mouth :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any nitrous success stories?

Quick Reply: Any nitrous success stories?