C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do super chargers make so much racket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Why do super chargers make so much racket?

Noob to boosted cars, and just wondering why they sound like there comming apart at idle. Does the racket improve as it spins up?

Some sound absolutly horrible to me, are they all like that?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:48 PM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedarberry

Some sound absolutly horrible to me, are they all like that?
Blasphemy, it's a beautiful sound!
Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MRc5z

Blasphemy, it's a beautiful sound!
A roots/twinscrew blower isn't. That awful whining is like nails on a calkboard.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:48 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Some are made with the cut gears r blades which give them that sound. But also the car could also have a loud BOV on it & not the quite one that you can also get for the car. Robert
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
sjhanc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Any device that has to move large quantities of air at near supersonic speeds is going to make a lot of noise, and the machinery necessary to drive it adds its own noise. Aeronautical engineers have worked on the noise issue for decades with limited success. The fact that successful noise suppression drastically reduces the effectiveness of the 'air mover' disqualifies anything that DOES work. We want HORSEPOWER, and lots of THIS is not quiet!

The car companies sell lots of quiet automobiles, but none of those are the quickest or fastest, and certainly not Corvettes.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:09 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

T-trim on mine, at idle you have no idea it's there.
I wanted that jets sound whine but, I get nothing till I shift, and maybe you hear the blow off.

Maybe a Y-trim can help with that.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:16 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you hear an Fseries with a race valve in person it sounds like the car is dragging the under tray with it hahaha
Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

If you want stealth boost use a turbocharger.

They are very quiet. You can do all kinds of tricks to make them even quieter. If you size it properly it will also improve fuel economy and there really isn't any lag to speak of on a V8 engine with the right size turbo.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for all the input, had a turbo sled and just could not deal with the BOV popping all the time, drove me nuts.

Just been looking at a few different c5s, sold my last one and kicking myself.

High horse N/A cars are outta my budget, but have seen a few SC cars I could swing. This time out I'm just buying already built, I had a lot of fun moddin my last one, but spent a ton. Save quite a bit purchasing already built.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the input, had a turbo sled and just could not deal with the BOV popping all the time, drove me nuts.

High horse N/A cars are outta my budget, but have seen a few SC cars I could swing. This time out I'm just buying already built, I had a lot of fun moddin my last one, but spent a ton. Save quite a bit purchasing already built.
Er. You realize that it isn't necessary to listen to the bypass. You could have easily recirculated it with a noise suppression tube like factory turbo cars usually have.

turbocharger add fuel economy. I would never drive a car without one, not a combustion gasoline engine or diesel.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:55 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
turbocharger add fuel economy.
Citation needed.

I can see how a car could get better mileage with 2.5L and a turbo rather than 3.5L NA, and have the same peak horsepower. But I can't see how adding a turbo to an engine will increase fuel economy. They just freewheel when you're driving at a steady speed, and while you're accelerating your mileage is terrible either way.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 PM
abusdriver
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a ProCharger D1SC with helical gears and you can barely hear it at idle. When you get on it, you can hear the supercharger whine but it doesn't overpower the exhaust note and I think it all sounds MAH-VEH-LOUS, SIMPLY MAH-VEH-LOUS!

Last edited by abusdriver; 05-07-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

They are especially attempting to sound broken so the owner replaces it with a turbo kit.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NSFW
Citation needed.

I can see how a car could get better mileage with 2.5L and a turbo rather than 3.5L NA, and have the same peak horsepower. But I can't see how adding a turbo to an engine will increase fuel economy. They just freewheel when you're driving at a steady speed, and while you're accelerating your mileage is terrible either way.
Kinetic energy from exhaust molecules are transferred to intake molecules.

Think turbine on a turbine. Like they do for power plants, each stage of turbine recovers some percentage of efficiency by using leftover heat somehow.

The turbos needs to be sized properly. A 120lb/min turbo on a 2.0L engine isn't going to be able to return much at low speeds.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

That's how they make power, sure, but you want mileage and you're making boost, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Having an M6 I hated the tshing BOV on every shift so I recirculated it into the air filter.
The A&A Vortech you can hear at idle outside but I can't even hear it inside the vehicle.
Now all I get is the occasional slight chirping from the air hitting the impeller.

Made a longer path with a baffle box

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 05-10-2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NSFW
That's how they make power, sure, but you want mileage and you're making boost, you're doing it wrong.
The difference is significant when disconnecting the charge pipe to the engine a loss of 2-3mpg is typical on cars with an intercooler due to the sheer volume of plumbing required on behalf of the engine to pull through on the intake stroke.

With the turbo connected however the effort is redoubled. Not only does the piston no longer need work as much to pull down but also during the exhaust stroke higher exhaust gas pressure provides some cushion for the slowing the piston.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do super chargers make so much racket?

Old 05-10-2018, 04:12 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

The difference is significant when disconnecting the charge pipe to the engine a loss of 2-3mpg is typical on cars with an intercooler due to the sheer volume of plumbing required on behalf of the engine to pull through on the intake stroke.

With the turbo connected however the effort is redoubled. Not only does the piston no longer need work as much to pull down but also during the exhaust stroke higher exhaust gas pressure provides some cushion for the slowing the piston.
Ah the backpressure myth.
Is going up a hill easier than going down?
The engine doesn't pull air.
The atmospheric pressure of earth pushes it in.
You have the force backwards.
On my Prochargered intercooled long tube HEMI Cherokee I'm
actually getting 1/2 mpg better, WOT blasts notwithstanding
The less backpressure the better the engine can breathe,
and the more power it will make.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 05-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

If you want stealth boost use a turbocharger.

They are very quiet. You can do all kinds of tricks to make them even quieter. If you size it properly it will also improve fuel economy and there really isn't any lag to speak of on a V8 engine with the right size turbo.
Man if you get them set up correct no sound 7 a ton of power plus will outrun a blower car all day long if set up on sizes are eq. Robert
Old 05-10-2018, 05:35 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robert miller
Man if you get them set up correct no sound 7 a ton of power plus will outrun a blower car all day long if set up on sizes are eq. Robert
Blowers are more easy to do on our cars.

Quick Reply: Why do super chargers make so much racket?