C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pully Sizes and Boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:51 AM
evil-1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (QuickSilver2002)

I got 9psi on mine with a 4.25, but I need to get more fuel pump behind it before I can verify. I’m not even driving mine much until I get the fuel pump issue resolved.
[Modified by QuickSilver2002, 6:36 AM 10/20/2002]
Whats the deal with the fuel pump? Do the D1's require an additional fuel pump and controller if you make over a certain boost/hp?
I have a h/c LS1 and looking into a D1 s/c now so I would sure like no know what's needed and why.
If so is Auromotive a good choice?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:01 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (evil-1)

It has nothing to do with what blower you have, but more to do with the total power output, flow at given pressure and engine efficiency.

In a word, yes. An upgraded fuel system would be a very wise decision. Otherwise you better keep your rpm below the pump threshhold. Since you are at altitude, the actual RWHP is much less, so the demand on the fuel system is less. 550 actual RWHP would be well over 600RWHP SAE corrected at your altitude. So in theory you can get away with more for less. Just don't run the car at sea level if that is not accounted for.

I've been to Colorado to tune for customers there and have first hand experience dealing with altitude. It can be messy if you don't have a good understanding of the computers.

As far as pumps go, the aeromotive system is good if you have a race car. Have you ever heard one? If not then that will be all you hear when you are in your car :eek:

Something to think about.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:39 AM
evil-1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (Mike Morgan)

Ya your right Mike , tuning's a bi*ch here. Although I think I got it nailed on the h/c pkg now, not sure how it will go with an s/c.
So what fuel pump is great for a track/street racer ?...........
Old 10-24-2002, 03:01 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (evil-1)

There are two in-tank choices that I know of.

1. LPE
2. Racetronix

Racetronix is suppose to have info on their website soon about a DIY kit for the c5.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (QuickSilver2002)

I was trying to remember when Mike put out this thread, but I couldn't remember what he said about the pully sizes. So it looks like I have a pully 3.85" and am making too much boost! I don't really want 10-12 lbs but more like 7-8lbs...thanks for clearing this up Mike.
It sounds like what I need is a pully between 4-4.25". I need to be able to use my power, I mean I have been just squeezing the pedal and at 1/4-1/2 throttle I am having to back off to get some traction...this will not work well for me at the track coming out of a turn (exit speed) however it would be nice at the strip with my ET's (until something breaks).
As for the Aeromotive, I believe (as Mike stated) it is good for racing app's and is loud...but with all the whistling going on up front..I guess I will have some whining in the back...good thing I have a loud stereo system... :D
Old 10-26-2002, 12:03 PM
ganson
Instructor

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (Shinobi'sZ)

What size pulley do I need to go to about 9 PSI? I have a stock '02 C5 with the P1SC. Do I also need a different belt?
Old 10-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (ganson)

In Mike's comment he also had mentioned that the pully's he was referring to were for stock applications..so it will be different for modded applications. A car with a Ported Heads, larger cam, Headers and an off road x pipe will see less boost with the same pully on a stock car. I think which ever pully came with your P1SC is the right pully granted that you ordered it that way. All of the 02's have a better exhaust system (no pre cats..better cats) than previous years. I would expect that to get 9 lbs of boost with a P1 on a stock car you would at least need a 3.85" pully. Keep in mind that the pully sizes and boost that is listed in the ATI Procharger Instruction booklet..that comes with the kit..indicates about 1< boost than is advertised...example 7lb pully in the book is 6lbs...I think it is the 4.25"
Old 10-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Pully Sizes and Boost (Shinobi'sZ)

Kevin: Do you remember my pulley size?

Quick Reply: Pully Sizes and Boost