C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Reco. 600rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, took it apart - interesting failure.

Looks like the friction disk springs were rubbing on the flywheel bolts, the friction disk itself is all wavy, and the edges of the pressure plate side are pretty much all gone. The disk is thin metal, almost sheet metal - looks so light and flimsy. Clutch has 1500 miles and maybe 6-10 passes on it.
Attached Images      
Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Did teh clutch kit come with the ARP bolts ?

IMO, they really are **** and unnecessarily tall. I had issue with my triple ExoSkel years ago when there were no instructions supplied with the kit to state ARP bolts cannot be used and you had to use stock.

Although the clutch disc fouling on the bolts would only cause dragging making it difficult to change gear.
Maybe it was also strong enough, substantial enough to prevent the flywheel side fully mating to the flywheel ?

Although it's obvious you've had contact, it'd be hard to see how it actually caused slippage to the extent it would burn the **** out of the organic disc.

When I changed to my current triple disc clutch, I used ARP flex plate bolts instead as these have a shallow had more akin to the stock bolts.

But no way in hell should a single disc setup have this problem

On the budget side, some new bolts and a new friction disc should let you away although if it was supplied like that as a kit, there would be warranty possibilities.

bolts

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-11-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Did teh clutch kit come with the ARP bolts ?

IMO, they really are **** and unnecessarily tall. I had issue with my triple ExoSkel years ago when there were no instructions supplied with the kit to state ARP bolts cannot be used and you had to use stock.

Although the clutch disc fouling on the bolts would only cause dragging making it difficult to change gear.
Maybe it was also strong enough, substantial enough to prevent the flywheel side fully mating to the flywheel ?

Although it's obvious you've had contact, it'd be hard to see how it actually caused slippage to the extent it would burn the **** out of the organic disc.

When I changed to my current triple disc clutch, I used ARP flex plate bolts instead as these have a shallow had more akin to the stock bolts.

But no way in hell should a single disc setup have this problem

On the budget side, some new bolts and a new friction disc should let you away although if it was supplied like that as a kit, there would be warranty possibilities.

bolts

Had it professionally installed.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:26 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Who installed it is less relevant....exactly what was supplied and by who is more relevant.

Although it is something that should have been spotted at assembly stage considering how bad it seems to be. Especially an experienced professional.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

interesting datas here, never thought about that before
Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 PM
I1ABAZO6
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Well, after talking to a couple different places and reading until my eyes watered - I decided on the Monster LT1-S. We'll see how it works out. Thanks everyone.
I just put this clutch in my car... very happy! it's a factory GM with a Monster flywheel. works great.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 AM
0MVP @ TheRaceEngineShop
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need a mantic dual.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Seeing your premature clutch failure due to someone else's negligence sucks.
Using ARP bolts to make an extra few dollars profit was a clear contributor to the failure of your clutch since it prevented full engagement of the clutch disc. I've had great success with Mantic when installed properly. Hopefully you're using someone that knows what clutches can use ARP bolts to install your clutch this time.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Although he still hasnt stated whether the ARP bolts came as part of the kit or were fitted by others.

But there is absolutely no excuse for a company making a single disc clutch that cannot use the ARP bolts. That's just bad design on their part when every other company can do it ok
Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

There are other quite a few clutches that I’ve seen that cannot have ARP bolts installed with them. I don’t fault the clutch manufacturer when ARP makes them so ridiculously tall compared to OEM. I’ve also never seen any issues with using OEM bolts. I’m confident that Mantic didn’t include ARP bolts because I know the nat’l rep for Mantic and he’s well aware of the issue with using ARP bolts and personally sets up the clutches sold in the US.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

I've seen the problem before with a multiplate clutch....although also used multiplate clutches that had no issues with ARP bolts ( ACT )

But singles ? There's a ton of room if designed correctly.

But also fully agree the ARP bolts are *****. There is no need for them to be so tall..and at the same time also have such poor spline engagement for the socket.

The ARP flex plate bolts are far better in every respect.

But for the OP...he just needs new bolts and a friction plate and he should be good to go

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-14-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Reco. 600rwhp