C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already

Hi guys/gals. Quick question for those that have been through this and I am sure many have. I have about 150 miles on my new ATI D1SC and just shredded the front half of the belt. The belt is still on the car and I was able to drive it home (I wasnt even getting on it during this trip) however its obviously the infamous ATI belt problem.

I did search the archives and see many solutions from custom bracket work to going back to the stock idler pulley etc. but I was curious if anyone has any recent success with any fixes. I dont want to just throw another belt on there as I know it will happen again. I didnt see the COG system on ATIs site does anyone know if thats out yet?

Any input is appreciated.. I will also need a darn hoodliner after this is solved my stock liner took a small beating.

Thanks..
Old 10-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Rookiedyn)

I'm not at all knockin ATI but come on! It seems their R&D is done on the customers cars these days! That is :bs
Old 10-19-2002, 07:54 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Dave00C5)

ATI really dropped the ball on the belt shredding and overheating issues. Andy Green @ A&A Corvette Specialties has engineered an installation of the ATI Procharger that gets rid of all of these issues for good. He mills the Procharger case and does some custom brafket and pulley work, as well as lower and realign the radiator.

Here is a link to the install he just did on mine. I know you are on the East Coast but I think some other tuners have picked-up on Andys' fix and they should be able to help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=412066
Old 10-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (OCMike)

ATI really dropped the ball on the belt shredding and overheating issues. Andy Green @ A&A Corvette Specialties has engineered an installation of the ATI Procharger that gets rid of all of these issues for good. He mills the Procharger case and does some custom brafket and pulley work, as well as lower and realign the radiator.

Here is a link to the install he just did on mine. I know you are on the East Coast but I think some other tuners have picked-up on Andys' fix and they should be able to help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=412066
thanks.. I will have to send that to my tuner to see what he thinks..

Stupid question but is the shredding the same as slippage (in regards to problem origin). I was on a 45 mph drive when this happend. I imagine the belt would have broken off if I was getting on it. If the belt slippage and "rippage" problem is the same I wouldn't have a problem upgrading to a cog or 8 rib system but I was under the impression these only aided when there is slippage at higher boost levels.

--- First 150 miles :eek: -- Now :U
Old 10-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

From what I hav e seen, the belt shredding is due to the belt not aligning on the pulley. Take a close look at yours and you will see about 3/8" of the belt misaligned and rubbing the edge of your belt causing it to shred.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

From what I hav e seen, the belt shredding is due to the belt not aligning on the pulley. Take a close look at yours and you will see about 3/8" of the belt misaligned and rubbing the edge of your belt causing it to shred.
Ok thanks again OCMike. I will take a closer look.. Im grabbing the digital camera as well. Not sure if anyone will be able to tell from looking at pictures. It looked like it was lined up well but obviously its off a bit or this wouldn't have happened.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

If you look at the inboard idler pully you will notice that the belt rides to the forward edge of the pully. It is fine during normal driving. However when you give it the gas the stock tensioner (spring loaded) tightens the belt, when you let off it snaps back relieving some of the tension on the belt. When this happens the belt rides up (jumps) up over the fwd lip of the inboard idler pully and it acts like a Pizza cutter and will shave possibly a whole rib off your 6 rib belt.
Here is what Andy from A&A did to mine and many others.
Shave .060-.075ths off both of the blower and the inboard idler pully. This moves the belt from the front of the pully towards the center like where the belt rides on the outboard pully. The tolerances are very close and is a bad miss by ATI. However it is correctable. I would also buy a Katech Belt Tensioner (Xtreme Motorsports has them in Stock) as it is not spring loaded and will not allow the belt to snap forward after you let off the gas.
Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:58 PM
benelliwang
Burning Brakes

Talk to Andy at A&A, he will fix it for yah!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Shinobi'sZ)

If you look at the inboard idler pully you will notice that the belt rides to the forward edge of the pully. It is fine during normal driving. However when you give it the gas the stock tensioner (spring loaded) tightens the belt, when you let off it snaps back relieving some of the tension on the belt. When this happens the belt rides up (jumps) up over the fwd lip of the inboard idler pully and it acts like a Pizza cutter and will shave possibly a whole rib off your 6 rib belt.
Here is what Andy from A&A did to mine and many others.
Shave .060-.075ths off both of the blower and the inboard idler pully. This moves the belt from the front of the pully towards the center like where the belt rides on the outboard pully. The tolerances are very close and is a bad miss by ATI. However it is correctable. I would also buy a Katech Belt Tensioner (Xtreme Motorsports has them in Stock) as it is not spring loaded and will not allow the belt to snap forward after you let off the gas.
Good Luck.
Thank you as well. Your explanation is very good and explains why this happened as I was coasting to a stop light. As I let off the gas when the light turned yellow I heard the belt banging away at my hood liner.

Sounds fixable.. short of the inconvenience of getting the car to my tuner 70 miles away I will sleep a bit better now.

Thanks again.. if anyone else has any input as well feel free to add to this thread. The more options the better I hate to go through this again (or anyone else thinking about getting the ATI for that matter).

Old 10-20-2002, 02:10 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one has been well documented and solved by many.
Take a look at this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=395017

I posted some pics in the above thread that show the exact problem area.

I was able to get just the bracket and bolt shaved down for $25 at a machine shop and it completely solved the problem. I had them take off 80 thousands (everything is in thousands at a machine shop) and it was actually a little too much, but I put some washers in place to make up for it. I really don't think you have to do anything to the blower housing unless the bosses that hold the bracket are very uneven (mine were not), I also spoke with ATI about this issue and they said they had a new bracket going into production soon, so you may want to give them a ring.

This should also solve any belt slippage problems you are having (unless you are pushing it above the 650hp range)
Old 10-20-2002, 10:54 AM
DUKE
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (QuickSilver2002)

This kind of stuff kinda makes NX install more attractive to me.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (DUKE)

This is a minor fix and you would need a 422 with N0S to make the kind of power that many of the ATI blown cars are making...but I don't think this is totally the place to discuss this.

Anyway....dude!!!! Your tuner is 70 miles away. It will take you 15 mins to undo the blower from the car...it is held on with 4 bolts. You can then pull the bracket from the blower and take it to a machine shop to be milled.

Old 10-20-2002, 01:42 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Shinobi'sZ)

This is a minor fix and you would need a 422 with N0S to make the kind of power that many of the ATI blown cars are making
Definitely not true, 550 at the wheels can easily be made with a H/C LS1/6 with a 150 shot.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Mad_Dog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I shipped mine off to Andy at A&A today for the modifications. Those not in a big hurry might want to check with Andy as he does apparently have the fix for the belt slippage, shreading, alignment & overheating problems. It is obviously to far for me to travel -- that is what we have Fed Ex & UPS for. :D:D
Old 10-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (ICULUKN-C5)

I agree with H&C and NoS that you can get 550 at the rear until your bottle runs dry, I was thinking he meant NoS on a stock car..you can get pretty close to that with just the blower on a stock car. With H&C and a blower it is even more. I know a 2001 Z with H&C, and ATI making 630 RWHP...I did the exact same setup except I retained the stock heads...(same cam, etc...).
Old 10-21-2002, 04:39 PM
ganson
Instructor

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Mad_Dog)

I just spoke with ATI tech support and they are looking at two possible fixes for the belt problems, but don't have a firm solution yet. He mentioned a bracket fix and an 8-rib kit as possibilities.
I also mentioned the heat problems related to their fan shroud, and he said they would study this forum and consider that issue as well.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:26 PM
Mad_Dog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (ganson)

I just spoke with ATI tech support and they are looking at two possible fixes for the belt problems, but don't have a firm solution yet. He mentioned a bracket fix and an 8-rib kit as possibilities.
I also mentioned the heat problems related to their fan shroud, and he said they would study this forum and consider that issue as well.
I am glad to see ATI looking into it. They have definitely lost some sales due to negative comments on this forum. The fix to both problems looks realatively simple and should lower the cost of the package -- assuming they choose solutions similar to A&A's which in fact does away with the after-market fan and shroud and allows for cooler air intake to boot.

Get notified of new replies

To Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already

Old 10-21-2002, 05:32 PM
ganson
Instructor

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (Mad_Dog)

The problem with Andy's fan fix is that you can't do it at home. I'm working on a self-install solution, since I'm nowhere near any tuner, and live in the hottest place in the country.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already (ganson)

:flag Well I am just honered to be one of the many to help them with there Research and Development and field testing. I wonder when I get my check. :jester
Old 10-22-2002, 06:38 AM
jeff_nation
Racer

I shredded rubber like crazy before I moved to an 8 ribbed belt and an adjustable tensioner pulley. Now I pull 10lbs at 6000rpm's with NO slippage.

I know this can be a real pain in the boost!

Quick Reply: Ugh- shredding belt with ATI already