C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to convert to flex fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to convert to flex fuel??

I know it's been out there a few times throughout the years. and seen a few options.
Stand alone (reliable?)
2004 c5 pcm?
Tahoe pcm?

I understand the simplest way would be just to run e85 all the time.

i installed a a@a supercharger to keep drivability close to stock as possible. I want to take it on long trips and not worry about having to filling up with e85.
It's a 01 c5
thanks for the help!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

ShorTuning can do it with the stock pcm(he locks these pcms to protect his binary coding). You have to modify the binary in the c5 OS, you cant just segment swap. You would also need to swap to a p59 PCM. Or an aftermarket ECU like Holley or Haltech.

I tuned my 01 for full time Ethanol duty. I like to switch to a Holley dominator this winter, but Id also like to crank up the boost lol
Old 07-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Standalone. From what I understand you can get Flex fueling to "work" using an OEM PCM but it doesn't offer all of the benefits of flex fuel because you can't alter ignition timing based on fuel composition. I may be wrong on this, I didn't spend much time looking into the OEM PCM before deciding to go standalone.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Standalone. From what I understand you can get Flex fueling to "work" using an OEM PCM but it doesn't offer all of the benefits of flex fuel because you can't alter ignition timing based on fuel composition. I may be wrong on this, I didn't spend much time looking into the OEM PCM before deciding to go standalone.
any standalone You recommend?
of course I want the flexfuel for timing based on the fuel.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Podium
ShorTuning can do it with the stock pcm(he locks these pcms to protect his binary coding). You have to modify the binary in the c5 OS, you cant just segment swap. You would also need to swap to a p59 PCM. Or an aftermarket ECU like Holley or Haltech.

I tuned my 01 for full time Ethanol duty. I like to switch to a Holley dominator this winter, but Id also like to crank up the boost lol
Whars the difference from a holley and a 04 c5 pcm?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

Actually even the oldest flex fuel PCM, "411" can do that, vary timing and a/f ratio based on content sensing.

I found an 2002 "411" pcm from a Tahoe

This computer can command up to around 180-200lb/hr fuel injectors without having to be "fudged" for airmass calculations.
Its a gen3 computer so rear-camshaft sensor was used
Full 2-bar map sensor + flex fuel compatible simultaneously.

It was $35 in the junkyard and they had 10 of them there. I put this one behind a 5.3L + 4l80e + S364

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 07-09-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by -98-z28-darkness-
any standalone You recommend?
of course I want the flexfuel for timing based on the fuel.
I'm using the Haltech Elite 2500 and loving it so far. I'm just learning to tune on my own with Bret's(Blownbluez06) help but the Haltech unit seems to have everything I could ever possibly desire.

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Actually even the oldest flex fuel PCM, "411" can do that, vary timing and a/f ratio based on content sensing.

I found an 2002 "411" pcm from a Tahoe

This computer can command up to around 180-200lb/hr fuel injectors without having to be "fudged" for airmass calculations.

It was $35 in the junkyard and they had 10 of them there. I put this one behind a 5.3L + 4l80e + S364
But isn't the problem finding an OS that is compatible with the C5? Again, I could be wrong but I thought that you could have basic AFR corrections based on fuel composition but not ignition timing in a C5 using the OEM flex fuel tables.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

I'm using the Haltech Elite 2500 and loving it so far. I'm just learning to tune on my own with Bret's(Blownbluez06) help but the Haltech unit seems to have everything I could ever possibly desire.

But isn't the problem finding an OS that is compatible with the C5? Again, I could be wrong but I thought that you could have basic AFR corrections based on fuel composition but not ignition timing in a C5 using the OEM flex fuel tables.
Well, i don't look at "C5" or what kind of car it is. I have a Nissan for example.

All that matters if whether or not you can plug the computer into a harness, and whether or not that harness will fit your engine. And most GM V8's after 1998 are modular in the sense that, even if a sensor didn't plug in directly, either A: It would still work with the right plug soldered on, or B: the right sensor would probably fit the same hole as the old wrong sensor.

You can def adjust timing, otherwise I don't think it would be any good.

Haltech is supposed to have flex fuel ability? Haltech should have everything.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 07-09-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Well, i don't look at "C5" or what kind of car it is. I have a Nissan for example.

All that matters if whether or not you can plug the computer into a harness, and whether or not that harness will fit your engine. And most GM V8's after 1998 are modular in the sense that, even if a sensor didn't plug in directly, either A: It would still work with the right plug soldered on, or B: the right sensor would probably fit the same hole as the old wrong sensor.

You can def adjust timing, otherwise I don't think it would be any good.

So if I wanted to go to flex fuel on my C5, I could swap in a flex fuel PCM? (I'm still learning about the LS engines, haven't really modded my vette other than heads and a cam when I had to rebuild the bottom end).
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Haltech does have flex fuel ability and it literally does have everything I can think of.

Pretty sure it does matter what vehicle it is going into or else you would have seen far more flex fuel C5's out on the streets. Doesn't the PCM have to communicate with the BCM, EBCM, etc to make it all work together?

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 07-09-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

I found a slightly older thread with some more technical data in it here.

I just also found a piggyback control box when I googled C5 Flex Fuel.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

You have no idea what you're talking about and you're spewing false information.

OP You need to use a 04 (P59, NOT A p01 99-2003 C5 PCM) if you want to use flex fuel with an OEM pcm. It has be tuned by someone like James Shor of ShorTuning becuase there are hard coded parameters that have to be changed that Hp Tuners or EFI Live cannot. It is a lot more than swapping a pcm.

When talking about just segment swapping the fuel segment from Tahoe to C5 OS
Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ
The segment swapped files will jack with traction control, abs, electronic throttle control and other misc things in the background that we don't have access to.

No segment swaps needed, no wiring changes needed. The o2's are pwm controlled heater grounds on the P59 however the older P01 PCM cars have the heater circuit through the fuse box so the heater circuit codes just need to be killed. I take that a step further and zero the PWM tables out for the heater circuit.

Tahoe uses a different pedal and TAC module. That is in the engine segment where all the flex fuel stuff is as well. It will run the car but the throttle and some other functions will be "quirky". We do not have access to even 1/4 of the electronic throttle parameters either so copying the existing tables back to the stock C5 values won't help.

If I wasnt a tuner, I would have ShorTuning do this for me. Like I said, he locks the tunes to protect his hard work with binary coding he proformed to make it work. I dont blame him.

Whars the difference from a holley and a 04 c5 pcm?
About 2 to 3k LOL. Holley (and others) are way more capable than the factory stuff but they cost a lot more and youll have to do a lot of wiring yourself unless you send your wiring harness out along with the holley to someone like Brett (blueblownz). If you just want flex fuel, I wouldnt buy a standalone just for that.

Last edited by Podium; 07-09-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Cordes does the c5 ecu swap but I don't know what drawbacks it has like some people listed here.

Just be careful about inspection. Ours requires an odb2 read so I'd need to keep the stock pcm wired up in parallel with an aftermarket. If it wasn't for that I'd be swapping to an aftermarket ecu asap.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

all I said was if the ecu fits a harness, and the harness fits the engine,

then the ecu can control the engine.

That is not false information. It is true for every engine in the world.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Haltech does have flex fuel ability and it literally does have everything I can think of.

Pretty sure it does matter what vehicle it is going into or else you would have seen far more flex fuel C5's out on the streets. Doesn't the PCM have to communicate with the BCM, EBCM, etc to make it all work together?
I have no idea whats in Corvette. but I deal with swaps, lots of swaps. If you brought me a vette and a computer and said make this work, I would figure out what was needed to make it work, and compare that with other option to find the most practical solution. There was a question about flex fuel and gen3 stuff so I thought I would point out the availability of a $35 ECU solution that works well for gen3 applications, in general. Whatever you need to do to "convert it", could be as wild as changing the whole engine, or writing digital processor code to control in-car electronics back to factory specs, is up to your researching.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

all I said was if the ecu fits a harness, and the harness fits the engine,

then the ecu can control the engine.

That is not false information. It is true for every engine in the world.

That IS false information. You cannot do that on a c5. Even if you could, why would you tell him to get a tahoe pcm when you can flash the OS (which wont work) on his current p01 controller? You deal with swaps, lots of swaps so you should know that.

I have no idea whats in Corvette
Then why comment?

​​​​​​​Whatever you need to do to "convert it", could be as wild as changing the whole engine, or writing digital processor code to control in-car electronics back to factory specs, is up to your researching.
That is what the OP is doing and your lack of knowledge is going to send him down the wrong path.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

I have no idea whats in Corvette. but I deal with swaps, lots of swaps.
This is Corvette Forum... the chassis is relevant to this conversation.

There was a question about flex fuel and gen3 stuff so I thought I would point out the availability of a $35 ECU solution that works well for gen3 applications, in general. Whatever you need to do to "convert it", could be as wild as changing the whole engine, or writing digital processor code to control in-car electronics back to factory specs, is up to your researching.
This is irrelevant as it doesn't apply to this car.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to convert to flex fuel??

Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by ysb02
Cordes does the c5 ecu swap but I don't know what drawbacks it has like some people listed here.

Just be careful about inspection. Ours requires an odb2 read so I'd need to keep the stock pcm wired up in parallel with an aftermarket. If it wasn't for that I'd be swapping to an aftermarket ecu asap.
O yeah good point!! Trying to keep the car as smog passable!!! Guess aftermarket ECU is out of the question.

sounds like the easiest solution for me would be buying a stand alone kit.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by ysb02

O yeah good point!! Trying to keep the car as smog passable!!! Guess aftermarket ECU is out of the question.

sounds like the easiest solution for me would be buying a stand alone kit.

proflex seems to be the only one coming up.
But it sounds like it's not connected to the computer at all so the timing won't got up or down depending on ethanol level? Am I missing something?

Last edited by -98-z28-darkness-; 07-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

exactly I see that it will only make it work. Will up the injector pressure to compansate for the Percentage of e85 in the fuel. Does not look like its connected to the timing at all.

Quick Reply: Best way to convert to flex fuel??