C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help to finish an engine build

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:52 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Need some help to finish a LQ9/LS3 engine build for my C5Z

I recently bought a long block off of a fellow forum member to replace my trashed Ls6 and now have a few questions before i start tearing into everything to get my car back and ready for the road.

The block is a 9.5:1 forged LQ9 with LS3 heads, BTR blower cam and prods/springs. It needs an oil pan, timing cover, valley cover and intake/tb.

For the oil pan I plan on selling my bat wing and just picking up a C6 pan and pocketing some of the leftover money for the rest of the stuff.

For the timing cover Im assuming I cant reuse my LS6 one and have to get one that has the timing sensor in the cover and run one of the harness adapters.

Now my biggest question is the valley cover/PCV system. This is my first time running a motor that isnt an LS1/2/6 and Im kinda in the dark. Will my LS6 one work and allow me to use the Ls6 PCV system? or do i need to get an LS3 valley cover and figure out a catch cah/vacuum pump/PCV system off of the valve covers and stuff?

I plan to ****** up an LS3 manifold and throw an LS2 TB on it for the time being just to get the car back on the road in the simplest fashion.

The motor will be finished with my c5 front accessories, EWP, IW OD balancer and a V3-Ti spun as hard as itll go. This motor in the past has been spun up around 7,000+ so I plan to keep it that way lol

Last edited by ss4luck; 08-05-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:02 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe the ls6 valley cover should work on the lq9 with no problems. So should the pcv system. A catch can might not be a bad idea to have anyway.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:18 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah I’ve got a MM can sitting in my shelf. I didn’t manage to get it on the car before rod #5 decided to wave ��
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Personally, I went with the LS1 valley cover over the LS6 valley cover. Since I am not using the OEM PCV system I chose the LS1 cover because it is smooth and will look better under my High Ram.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help to finish an engine build

Quick Reply: Need some help to finish an engine build