C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 block max overbore!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Mahdi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 block max overbore!

Hi
I wanna know whether a 6.0 iron block with .040 over holds up fine with about 16lbs of boost to make 1000 flywheel horsepower or not?
By the way, it will be an offroad race truck.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Yep. It should. But there are always exceptions.

I’m filling mine with HardBlock to the water holes and plan to run 30lbs on a 4.030 bore.

Why 4.040? No shelf pistons available in that size. Most are 4.005/4.030/4.060 type stuff.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Mahdi
3rd Gear

Thanks for your response
That 40 over is for clearing the cracks.
I don't have problem with pistons, maybe a set of forged sbc ones with some customizations!
I've seen guys running stock block in same hp range for years with turbos but with .030 over. But everybody says it's max overboring for FI engine.
I was curious to know if that 0.005! less wall thickness makes problem or no! 😅
Old 08-16-2018, 10:13 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

One block might be okay and another not so much. You can find a shop with a sonic tester to verify thicknesses on all of the cylinders. Cap'n Huff mentioned, filling the block with a bit of concrete and should help stabilize the cylinders even more and increase your guarantee of things staying together. I can't say that I would recommend running SBC pistons in an LS engine. There are far too many differences to even bother. I can have you a set of custom pistons made if you're interested. I would recommend doing that with a nice set of rings along with a set of tool steel wrist pins so that they hold up to the abuse better. Let me know if I can help.

Bret

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Mahdi
3rd Gear

Thanks bret for sharing your knowledge
How much wall thickness do you recommend for less than 20lbs of boost and not much of compression ratio on that block?
And what about putting new dry sleeves in it? Would it increase the strength?
For the pistons, as sbc pistons share same dimensions with ls ones (I think the main difference is just in ring widths) I thought they can be used and actually I've seen some ls motors with them, but what am I missing?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:27 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahdi
Thanks bret for sharing your knowledge
How much wall thickness do you recommend for less than 20lbs of boost and not much of compression ratio on that block?
And what about putting new dry sleeves in it? Would it increase the strength?
For the pistons, as sbc pistons share same dimensions with ls ones (I think the main difference is just in ring widths) I thought they can be used and actually I've seen some ls motors with them, but what am I missing?
The skirts are deeper with SBC pistons, the valve reliefs aren't in the same place. I know that the wrist pins are offset in a lot of LS piston designs. The way I see it, there are things that people have gotten away with that might not be such a wise choice. There are many different places to measure thicknesses. I would prefer to see a minimum of .200 where the thrust lies. It's cheaper to start with a fresh, un-bored, used block than start sleeving one that's over bored.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

If you’re already talking about clearing out cracks for an overbore, take Bret’s advice and get a “new” seasoned block.

Best of success with your project.

Get notified of new replies

To 6.0 block max overbore!

Quick Reply: 6.0 block max overbore!