C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the guys that know a lot about Kenne bell S/C

Old 11-21-2018, 08:46 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

they will lower the compression a bit compared to 243/799 and flow about the same as far as I know

Last edited by neutron82; 11-21-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:29 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Go with a bigger bore stock stroke motor.

Diamond pistons.

Always remember you will run out of intercooler above 600rwhp.
you can make 600 without going to a bigger-bore block.
and going beyond the point of diminishing returns with the intercooler drives doing something to make the cooling system better, like a chiller kit. we'll see how mine works soon.

Originally Posted by neutron82
Originally Posted by Crabr1
Would using 317 heads do me any good? I'd like to not use my stock heads,but then again I don't want to go with afr heads either.
they will lower the compression a bit compared to 243/799 and flow about the same as far as I know
317s flow about the same as LS2/6 heads from charts i've seen, but the bigger chambers (lower SCR) are better when you're wanting to run high boost... which might not help with as much heat as the KB produces when you wind it up. shop around the different LS engine forums' classified sections, and there's bound to pop up a set of ported 799/243s for $500ish every now & then. the bump in static compression would help bring the cylinder pressure back up after that cam's 8° overlap, which should increase responsiveness & off-boost power as well. you'll have a little less forgiveness in the tune with respect to fuel quality & IATs, however folks run 8-10psi all day on stock LS2/3s with a higher 11:1 just fine.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
and going beyond the point of diminishing returns with the intercooler drives doing something to make the cooling system better, like a chiller kit. we'll see how mine works soon.

317s flow about the same as LS2/6 heads from charts i've seen, but the bigger chambers (lower SCR) are better when you're wanting to run high boost... which might not help with as much heat as the KB produces when you wind it up. shop around the different LS engine forums' classified sections, and there's bound to pop up a set of ported 799/243s for $500ish every now & then. the bump in static compression would help bring the cylinder pressure back up after that cam's 8° overlap, which should increase responsiveness & off-boost power as well. you'll have a little less forgiveness in the tune with respect to fuel quality & IATs, however folks run 8-10psi all day on stock LS2/3s with a higher 11:1 just fine.
im pretty sure that roller took the cam out so I'll be going with a new cam,so if anyone has a recommendation I'll take it. I've been at 10 lbs of boost the whole time I've had it so I'm going to stay at that and hope I'm still around the 620rwhp that I had,I really want more but sounds like the KB isn't going to let that happen. I'll be looking for a new car in a year or so.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:13 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

so sad to hear you'll be swapping her out
but if you're changing cams anyway, i bet it'd be more efficient running a blower cam. as for specific specs, a few years ago, i was given a rough spec from a couple folks that's very similar to what Tooley now offers as the PDS Stg3 Torque version. what ended up in my car is the slightly-bigger standard Stg3, but the tune's just getting started, so we'll see how it turns out... (i am curious, though, not having seen that one in anything smaller than a 6.0 before).
Old 11-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

so sad to hear you'll be swapping her out
but if you're changing cams anyway, i bet it'd be more efficient running a blower cam. as for specific specs, a few years ago, i was given a rough spec from a couple folks that's very similar to what Tooley now offers as the PDS Stg3 Torque version. what ended up in my car is the slightly-bigger standard Stg3, but the tune's just getting started, so we'll see how it turns out... (i am curious, though, not having seen that one in anything smaller than a 6.0 before).
Im not positive on my cam numbers,guess I'll find out for sure when I take it apart. This is the 2nd cam I put in it,the 1st one just didn't feel that good so I went a little more aggressive with the second one,think I'll stay with at least what I have unless you guys think there's something better for the KB setup. I'll post what I have after I get it pulled out,not sure when that'll be though.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Thanks Captain obvious for saying the same thing I did.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:35 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Thanks Captain obvious for saying the same thing I did.
i didn't think i did... but you're welcome (i guess)
you suggested going with a bigger bore; i believe he could make his goal on stock cubes (yeah, it'll take a little more boost but still cheaper than a new block)
you noted the limitation of the intercooler; i offered a way to improve its efficiency so as to push that ceiling higher

or maybe i missed something else

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for the guys that know a lot about Kenne bell S/C