C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CXRacing Single Turbo "Street Car"

Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 AM
69GTO96Z
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Y it off at the back to go dual 3’s over the axles. 3” is tight on the passenger side over the axle, but tons of room on the drivers side.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 119 Times in 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 69GTO96Z View Post
Y it off at the back to go dual 3’s over the axles. 3” is tight on the passenger side over the axle, but tons of room on the drivers side.
I was hoping to avoid Y'ing off because my OCD won't put up with uneven twin pipes out back and my fab skills aren't there yet to make them perfect. I'll save this as a last resort if I can't find a way to fit a 4" pipe all the way through there. I'm wondering if oval tubing may give me any better clearance.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM
69GTO96Z
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I am running a Huron 3” muffler less axle back. Flowmaster makes a nice 4” to dual 3” merge. With that and the Huron exhaust, you could get away with minimal fab work. I adapted mufflers into mine, but with a blower, the exhaust note didn’t sound right and was too obnoxious without mufflers.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't even consider that option, I may be able to do that. Do you have any pictures of it installed from under the car? My plan was to run 4" oval tubing angled away from my fuel lines all the way down the tunnel so I need to find out how close together the Huron pipes are before the diff/cradle.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 PM
junk c5
CF Senior Member

Liked 37 Times in 36 Posts

Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 PM
junk c5
CF Senior Member

It works better than it looks. It’s 4” off the turbo to a 4” flex joint into a 4” in and dual 3” out Y, then to the bumper in 3”. I did add a 2 1/2 “ electric dump in the 4” tubing later to reassure my tuner the exhaust wouldn’t create excessive back pressure at heavy boost.

Last edited by junk c5; 04-19-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by junk c5 View Post
It works better than it looks. It’s 4” off the turbo to a 4” flex joint into a 4” in and dual 3” out Y, then to the bumper in 3”. I did add a 2 1/2 “ electric dump in the 4” tubing later to reassure my tuner the exhaust wouldn’t create excessive back pressure at heavy boost.
Thats exactly what I was planning. Was going to do a 4” boost activated cutout just behind the engine bay so I dont have to worry as much about backpressure. I think I can manage to build a system just like yours.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM
junk c5
CF Senior Member

I thought about a boost activated cut out but I couldn’t come off the money. I bought an electric cut out from eBay for less than $100 that is activated off a hand held wireless remote. The easy way would be to go buy the LG big 3 cat back and build between the cat back and turbo. I decided to go my route since I am constantly changing stuff .

Last edited by junk c5; 04-19-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM
junk c5
CF Senior Member

If you’re curious what it sounds like, here’s a pitch black video of me testing. Audio is about all the video is good for. Lol

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM
JoeyG
CF Senior Member

Liked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise View Post
Ordered the first batch of tubing to start running the exhaust all the way out the back and I'm hoping someone in here has some good ideas for how to get a 4" pipe all the way out the back. Mainly looking for ideas/suggestions for getting around the diff/axles.
i looked at it when debating my to/no to keep ac. It looked likea mini starter and some 4” ovaled pipe could sqeek by my quictme bellhousing. But i chose a front bumper exhaust
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
i looked at it when debating my to/no to keep ac. It looked likea mini starter and some 4” ovaled pipe could sqeek by my quictme bellhousing. But i chose a front bumper exhaust
I've got a few tricks planned. I've removed both press in pipes on the end of the water pump, tapped and plugged the rear most hole and tapped and put a 90* 12AN elbow on the forward hole(I have a 12AN outlet on the overflow tank). I've already rerouted all my wiring and fuel lines and I have a few round to oval transitions so I can squeeze through any tight sections.

Getting rid of the hoses going into the side of the water pump gave me a good bit of clearance to get over the rack and under the manifold.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; Yesterday at 07:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
JoeyG
CF Senior Member

Liked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

That route would alleviate ali of room for sure, especially in your case with all that is already removed.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
That route would alleviate ali of room for sure, especially in your case with all that is already removed.
I'm hoping to get my hot parts back from coating today so I can start mocking everything up and figure out what bends I'm going to need to make this work.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Liked 266 Times in 244 Posts

Looking good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CXRacing Single Turbo "Street Car"

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: