C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best converter for DD w/ A&A SC & 3.42 gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Best converter for DD w/ A&A SC & 3.42 gears

I have read up on old posts and have an idea of what I need to get, but wanted to see what suggestions I got for my particular car.

It is a 2001 w/ 70k miles. Long tube headers and an A&A kit with a 3.8 pulley were installed about 5k miles ago along with 2" wide rear fenders and 12" wide wheels with 335 Super Sports. Rear gearing is currently 3.15. Car is daily driven.

I purchased a 3.42 rear end with 20,000 miles and plan to have it installed, along with a Transgo HD Shift kit, trans cooler and whichever torque converter I decide on.

The only additional performance mods I think I would ever consider are a smaller pulley, but that is not even in the plans currently.

I have driven a car with a high stall before and know the nature of them. I know that I will lose some mpg with the 3.42, but I feel the 3.15s really make WOT at lower highway speeds feel like something is lacking. I was thinking of a converter with a stall speed around 3000-3200. I do not track the car and will only ever be using tires I drive on the street. I have 335 Super Sports right now, I could see myself running 345 NT01's or similar in the Spring/Summer if I have severe traction issues.

I was trying to keep a budget and was considering a Phoenix Transmissions converter built for boost applications. They are ~$500-600. I've also been trying to keep an eye out for used Vigilante or Yank converters. Is this a bad idea? Is it worth the extra $300-$400 to go with a new Yank? If so, is 3000-3200 still reasonable? If not Yank, what other options out there (Vig, TCI) are good for my needs? In terms of importance, would rank reliability > budget > track performance.

I hope to make a purchase in the next 2 weeks and get it installed by April. Opinions and personal experiences are appreciated!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 AM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have a Yank PY 3400 that i will sell,i put it in my car drove around and took it back out,was not loose enough for me,I put back my yank SS 3600.its a $900 converter I'll sell for $750 shipped in the USA
Old 02-28-2019, 05:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Need to look at your cam spec weight of the car, how the car is going to be driven mostly for. Then spec out the converter for that but the cam will have the big part on what you need first in the car... Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Best converter for DD w/ A&A SC & 3.42 gears

Quick Reply: Best converter for DD w/ A&A SC & 3.42 gears