C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A kit 4k miles, Oil leak and #5 misfire

Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM
DrRaySomeDay
CF Senior Member

Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default A&A kit 4k miles, Oil leak and #5 misfire

I've had the A&A kit on the car for about 4k miles. I enjoyed some spirited driving the other day on several wide stretches of turnpike without any issue. Then, the check engine light started flashing. I took it easy the rest of the drive and pulled into the O'Reilly's before heading home. The DIC had a P0300 code and the handheld scanner at O'Reilly's ID'd it as a misfire in #5. I bought a new plug and changed it out when I got home, it looked like it was fouled up a bit and could have been the cause of the misfire. After installing the new plug, the code went away (but has since come back).

I also noticed an oil leak,It is on the passenger side. I did some searches first and am not sure if this is "blow by" or something else. I cleaned the oil spot on the driveway and a new spot appeared the next day, even just leaving it parked. Under the hood, the 'fill oil' cap is connected to the supercharged via a hose without any obvious leaks up top. Looking underneath the car, it looks like a large hose might not be on tight enough, or, it could just have gotten some oil leaked onto it. I did not install the kit (local shop did) but was not happy with the service and would prefer not to go back to them for any troubleshooting. I will be getting new gears and a converter installed along with a new dyno tune at a different shop in a couple of weeks and would like to have these issues fixed by then.

For the misfire, I replaced the #5 plug with the factory plug O'Reilly's had. Do I need to order a different type of plug for a supercharged application?
I assume I need to also replace the wires and fuel filter and check the valve springs. What else should I do to troubleshoot this issue?

For the oil leak, I attached some pictures. Is this just blow-by coming out the BOV? The shop could have overfilled it, I don't know for sure. Do I just drain and fill the thing like normal? I was a bit confused by the hose attached to the oil fill reservoir, do I just remove the hose to fill it or do I fill it at a new location? How many quarts? If not blow by, what else could it be? Thanks for the input
Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 PM
glennd
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello: you should do a compression test. I suspect it is going to be bad news, probably a result of an improper tune.
Good Luck
Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM
aaronc7
CF Senior Member

Liked 71 Times in 65 Posts

If that amount of oil is coming out of the blow off valve it's probably bad news... I would guess cracked piston, leading to excessive blowby which is pushing a lot of oil thru the PCV system.

Start the engine, remove the oil fill cap... there should be a slight vacuum. If there is positive pressure coming out, that's a sure sign you have the above scenario. Compression check next either way.

If you can easily pull the air intake or a charge pipe off, you can see if there is oil in them as well.

Last edited by aaronc7; 03-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Water_Walker
CF Senior Member

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

How were you preventing crank case pressure?
Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 PM
aaronc7
CF Senior Member

Liked 71 Times in 65 Posts

Sounded like he has the standard AA kit option, hose from the oill fill cap to the air intake filter.

More pics would definitely be helpful to maybe ID anything that looks amiss
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
DrRaySomeDay
CF Senior Member

Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

What would you like pictures of? Let me know and I will try and get them. Also, when you say start the engine and remove the oil fill cap, do you mean disconnect the hose from where the oil fill cap used to be?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 PM
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 795 Times in 719 Posts

just take the cap out completely as if you were adding oil and get pics of how the pcv setup is routed... it could be poor crankcase ventilation but that is quite a bit of oil to be pushed out, a compression check is probably in order

Last edited by neutron82; 03-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:25 PM
tabbruzz
CF Senior Member

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

Wow, That is a lot of oil.....I have an A&A which I am installing now so I have no experience with them, but I did a ton or research on them and have never see this. I did hear that with any SC that cyl 7 and 5 tend to have the most issues and that it had to do with the ring lands in many cases. Was you car stock prior to the SC? You said you did not like the shop that installed it. Why was that? did they tune it as well? Perhaps a little more info on top of the already requested additional pics can help shed some light. Good luck
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Naturally Vain
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

If you look at his post history, he had the A&A kit installed and dynoed in the 300s after the install and I think in the 200s baseline. Something has been wrong with his car for a long time I suspect. I can't believe the shop that installed this continued after seeing how bad the car performed.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 795 Times in 719 Posts

oh I remember that post, didn't realize it was the same guy... maybe the motor was hurt the whole time
Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 119 Times in 112 Posts

That would be my guess. 360 whp with an A&A kit and now this. I'd say he should be looking for a nice, used iron 6.0 to drop in there so he can really enjoy that blower setup.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-13-2019 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post: Turpid porpoise
nfantbabyjesus (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 PM
nfantbabyjesus
CF Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise View Post
That would be my guess. 360 whp with an A&A kit and now this. I'd say he should be looking for a nice, used iron 6.0 to drop in there so he can really enjoy that blower setup.
that's my plan once my stock bottom lets go. (Ti 3.25, cam, e85, 155k mile stock bottom)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: