C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A Vette Clutch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 PM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A&A Vette Clutch Recommendations

I have looked through plenty of threads now regarding clutch recommendations but have not found a current (in the last 1-2 years) consensus on higher HP street clutches.
Currently I am around that 850+ hp range and I am moving to E85 and a smaller pulley (hopefully going from 16 psi to 18 ish). I still have a LS7 clutch and looking for something to hold the power better. I have had a Centerforce Dyad twin in another vette and it was great, then I had another one in a Cadillac and it was nothing but problems. I am also very aware that every clutch/experience is very different

I mainly do 1/2 mile and street highway, drag strip maybe 3 times a year. Any recommendations on a good street clutch for that 8-900hp range??? I like a stiffer pedal feel but I know twin/triple discs are often softer or on par with stock which is fine if it is reliable.
(Yes I have read countless threads comparing all the Mantic, monster, centerforce, etc.. However they are all from 2009-13)
Have any quality/issues resolved in the last 5-10 years?

Looking for opinions on current setup A&A Vortech/Procharger Vettes.
MAIN CONCERN is not having the shuddering on engagement that my Dyad Twin Disc had

I have been recommended Spec Twin Disc for price and consistency? Thoughts?

Mods-
427/YSI, 880whp, meth, 3.73's
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM
69GTO96Z
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a mantic on my ysi/347. Pushing around 800, never had a problem.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:43 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I have a Mcleod RST organic twin disk reusing my LS6 flywheel and it has the slightest chatter from a dead stop but otherwise sweet. Friends have the RXT Kevlar and they feel similar.

For the money I’m sold on the current offerings from McLeod.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I have a Mcleod RST organic twin disk reusing my LS6 flywheel and it has the slightest chatter from a dead stop but otherwise sweet. Friends have the RXT Kevlar and they feel similar.

For the money I’m sold on the current offerings from McLeod.
This is interesting to hear as I have zero chatter from mine although it isnt fully broken in yet.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:08 PM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I am looking for opinions like these on current products the big clutch companies are putting out

-Josh is yours fully broken in? I am trying to avoid chatter of any kind
Old 03-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Before i have Spec twin clutch and now Centerforce twin disc. Centerforce is much more comfortable in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:14 AM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

RPS BC3 and you have room to grow into it.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette97sc
Before i have Spec twin clutch and now Centerforce twin disc. Centerforce is much more comfortable in my opinion.
What was your impression of the spec twin disc?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by nyg215
RPS BC3 and you have room to grow into it.
Man those are pricey, any input on the RPS BC2? Seem good to 900+ tq
Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

I had a spec twin with steel flywheel in a bolt on c5. I loved how light the pedal was but you can’t slip them at all and the clutch broke everything in my drivetrain over time. Gears broke, diff case broke, output shaft broke, even bent my torque tube.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a spec twin and it was the worst clutch I've ever had. Like said above, you can't slip it at all and it broke parts. Went to a Mantic and been loving it since the day it was installed.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM
MadMaxWell
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
I had a spec twin with steel flywheel in a bolt on c5. I loved how light the pedal was but you can’t slip them at all and the clutch broke everything in my drivetrain over time. Gears broke, diff case broke, output shaft broke, even bent my torque tube.
What power levels is your car seeing?

I'm interested to hear at what point the clutch stops becoming the "weak link" and you start breaking diffs, or transmission components. Also when considering the flywheel, does it make any sense to go to a lighter offering if the car is mainly street driven? Less rotational mass to spin is always good but I've heard it can make the car more "touchy" from a stop. Thanks for any help with these concerns, I'm still new to RWD.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AltitudeCO
What was your impression of the spec twin disc?
Pedal feeling was okei, but its was much more harder to take off. I would recommend some other clutch than Spec.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Opinions of Dyad Twin Disc? I had two of them; one was great and the other had horrible chatter getting out of 1st...

Anyone have experiences with this clutch?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Josh is yours fully broken in? I am trying to avoid chatter of any kind

Not fully broken in. Fresh clutch I know it will get smoother. It already has. Finally got my car together after I rebuilt my transmission and torque tube (among other things)

Old clutch was slipping, getting hot and pedal sticking, this one is solid, kinda like factory in pedal feel. New GM master and slave.

major tip if installing yourself. Don’t use the plastic disc line up tool included with the kit. Get a metal one available online. When you torque the pressure plate down the plastic gets wimpy and you’ll never get your torque tube stabbed through both disks. I had to redo with a metal tool and went 95% easier after that.

Last edited by ~Josh; 03-25-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:12 PM
evileight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm around 800 wheel and am currently using a Monster twin disc. It holds the power no problem but the engagement is very on/off. When i replace it i will go with a triple disc so i can slip the clutch more.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 PM
petdsim
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

McLeod RXT twin disc... extremely light for what it can hold. I got it as an upgrade to the LS7 clutch and I have nothing but positive feedback to share. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To A&A Vette Clutch Recommendations

Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 AM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by petdsim
McLeod RXT twin disc... extremely light for what it can hold. I got it as an upgrade to the LS7 clutch and I have nothing but positive feedback to share. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, any issues with chatter? How many miles have you had it?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM
petdsim
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the reply, any issues with chatter? How many miles have you had it?
Slight chatter going into first. Nothing major though. I actually just got my car back a few days ago so only about 1500 miles on it. I love it already... it is barely more stiff than my previous LS7 clutch and is definitely very street-able. That was a major factor for me because, although I will be tracking the car from time to time, it's predominantly a street car and I didn't want it to be unpleasant to drive haha.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM
AltitudeCO
Advanced

Originally Posted by petdsim
Slight chatter going into first. Nothing major though. I actually just got my car back a few days ago so only about 1500 miles on it. I love it already... it is barely more stiff than my previous LS7 clutch and is definitely very street-able. That was a major factor for me because, although I will be tracking the car from time to time, it's predominantly a street car and I didn't want it to be unpleasant to drive haha.
Yes I completely agree with that. I actually prefer a stiffer pedal feel within reason, I am just trying to avoid any chatter. It ruins the driving experience imo

Quick Reply: A&A Vette Clutch Recommendations