Notices
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Newbie- What Do I Need To Twin Turbo My C5?

Old 03-30-2019, 02:06 PM
AClayP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Newbie- What Do I Need To Twin Turbo My C5?

Well I'm planning on buying a C5 soon and I want to put twin turbos in it. I looked at other forum posts about this, but looking at some conversations in the posts, talking about parts I have no idea about, it makes me think I won't have any idea on what to do.

So, do I just buy the TT kit then pay a shop to install it, and that's it? What am I missing?
Old 03-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Turpid porpoise
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 122 Posts

Buy a HuronSpeed twin kit and have a friend or two help you install it. It may be intimidating but none of it is overly complicated.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
BlackMagicC5
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the UPP kit and had a shop install it. I love it just make sure you do a decent fuel system. Ive had nitrous and procahrger in the last but I really love the turbos.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:14 PM
arthursc2
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

You're gonna need at least 2 turbos

and some other parts
Old 03-30-2019, 06:23 PM
TastyBacon
CF Senior Member

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise View Post
Buy a HuronSpeed twin kit and have a friend or two help you install it. It may be intimidating but none of it is overly complicated.
I agree this is the best way to go nowadays.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 PM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

Received 78 Likes on 75 Posts

Had nitrous , hated the inconveniences of it.

now have mild procharger build and love it / even a little scared of it.

can you explain how turbos are even better (than a supercharger) ?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:25 PM
AClayP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise View Post
I don't have any friends who are mechanically inclined. Is it realistic for a couple of know-nothings to install one of these kits correctly? Is it like putting IKEA furniture together?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM
TNBUSA
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

You could just buy mine already done. 2004 Z06 commemorative edition. TTiX twin turbo kit installed professionally ....25 thousand miles...ready to roll needs nothing. 28000.00
Old 03-31-2019, 02:26 PM
neutron82
Bangin' Gears
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 821 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

turbos are more efficient and don't require horsepower to make horsepower like superchargers so everything else being equal the turbos will make more power for that reason... they do introduce their own issues like fitment and heat but blowers have drawbacks as well, both are great power adders though
Old 03-31-2019, 02:46 PM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

Received 426 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by AClayP View Post
Well I'm planning on buying a C5 soon and I want to put twin turbos in it. I looked at other forum posts about this, but looking at some conversations in the posts, talking about parts I have no idea about, it makes me think I won't have any idea on what to do.

So, do I just buy the TT kit then pay a shop to install it, and that's it? What am I missing?
TT is most complex, has the worst crammed packaging, most expensive all together, has most chances for nagging issues (boost creep, etc) when compared to supercharging.

Iíve had a TT ls1 and I donít think Iíll own another.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM
aaronc7
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82 View Post
turbos are more efficient and don't require horsepower to make horsepower like superchargers so everything else being equal the turbos will make more power for that reason... they do introduce their own issues like fitment and heat but blowers have drawbacks as well, both are great power adders though
I'll piggyback on that and in particular centri SC vs turbo. Turbo allows you to control the compressor speed / boost independently of RPM. So if you compare a turbo vs centri SC setup at similar boost levels, the turbo car will make a lot more torque and much more power/torque "area under the curve".... ie will be faster regardless of what peak HP #s might be. Peak boost of 14# might not hit until 6500 rpm on centri blower. Turbo will be running 14# all the way from 3000 rpm to redline.

Because they are not directly driven off the engine, there is some "lag", even at high rpm, but with a well designed manifold design and properly sized turbos this can be minimized. There is a reason turbo is the choice for FI on almost all factory FI cars these days. Exception being some V8 engines.... the PD blowers just package so much better for oem application. Turbo packaging is probably the biggest issue for turbos and C5s. Yes it can be done, but you have to replace a lot of parts to make it work or accept losing A/C or other systems or other compromises etc.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:56 PM
StatmanRN
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Money. Lots of money.

I always tell people it takes time talant and tools- but money can substitute for all .

I bought a used STS setup and had it professionally installed even though I have a fair amount of turbo experiance and tools. THey were familiar with the system, could get it done in a shorter period and could tune it.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 PM
MRc5z
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TNBUSA View Post
You could just buy mine already done. 2004 Z06 commemorative edition. TTiX twin turbo kit installed professionally ....25 thousand miles...ready to roll needs nothing. 28000.00
OP needs to just buy this and be done with it
Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 PM
TastyBacon
CF Senior Member

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't have any friends who are mechanically inclined. Is it realistic for a couple of know-nothings to install one of these kits correctly? Is it like putting IKEA furniture together?
Sorry, but, no. Not trying to be a jerk, not trying to crush your dreams or brag about myself, just trying to save you from a lot of frustration and wasted money. This is not something a person should take on without the skills and experience earned from a few years of working on cars. You really need to understand how everything works and know a few tricks before diving into this level of project. I would either bust some knuckles on a project that is way lower stakes first, or pay a professional to install/tune, or buy a car already done.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 PM
BlackMagicC5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

Sure. I used to ask everyone the same thing and never understood until I finally tried it for myself. On my procharger I made 15psi at 6500rpm and not until 6500rpm. On my turbos I make 15psi at 3500rpm and hold it all the way through 6500rpm. On my procharger if I wanted do 20psi+ I had to change pulley and get retuned. Now I can just increase the boost controller. That comes in handy if you swap back and forth between street tires and drag radials, track vs street, fun vs run ect. All that comes with a price though. Nothing is cut and dry.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:00 PM
BlackMagicC5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRc5z View Post
OP needs to just buy this and be done with it
I agree 100%. Save yourself a shitload of frustration working out the bugs and save a ton of money.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Black8Banger
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What are your power goals for the car?
How do you use the car? Street, track?
Are you looking at an auto car or a stick car?

Coming from a guy with a 1200+whp twin turbo stick shift car, I would not go the twin turbo route unless you plan on heavily racing the car. Anything 1000whp or less and I would look at superchargers. That is just my opinion.
You can install a procharger setup on a stock car for much cheaper and much easier than you can install any turbo kit.
Once you start going over that setup, you need to look much more closely at the fuel system, drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, etc....the list gets out of hand quickly.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 AM
Turbo-Geist
CF Senior Member

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Is this one of those SC vs Turbo threads?

Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 PM
_zebra
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

if you have to ask... you can't afford it!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM
FourG63 97GST
CF Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

definitely not with a turbo kit, If your brain isn't wired to overcome mechanical problem solving, have someone with experience do it.
a supercharging can do, there's less room for error on those installs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total Newbie- What Do I Need To Twin Turbo My C5?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: